• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
An open-side is playing at 8
A lock is playing at blindside flanker
A fly-half is playing at inside centre
An inside centre is playing at outside centre
An inside centre is playing on the wing
A fullback is playing on the wing

and two part-time coaches are filling full-time coaching positions

CommentPhotos.com_1391958779.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I fully agree but I have to ask the question why is Foley kicking for touch with his pop gun boot and a history of glaring misses. Why is he the exit strategy for the same reasons? Why when DHP and Cooper last week, were always better options.

Basically because the backline coach has no F^%$^ing idea and the Head Coach has a history since returning to Australia of neglecting some areas of the game until it is blindingly obvious that it is the major cause of failure. Remember that when Latham and Burke were in the Wallabies they took many of the penalties for touch because of the length and accuracy they got. It is not a default 10 job.

What I find really odd is that no one seems to have taken the time to work with Folau and kicking. He can actually kick the ball a reasonable distance - it's just that he always kicks to the man - a la aussie rules. Nevertheless his actual mechanics of kicking the ball a distance are sound. Who'd have thought of using a fullback as our kicking exit strategy?;)

Note the high contact and follow-through which all but eliminates charge-downs and enables a spiral punt.

sport-rugby-union-pic-circa-1981-international-match-australias-roger-picture-id78990967

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Hodge is an awesome 12

I hope he ends up at 12, he's a great talent, my point is he isn't necessarily the best option for the Wallabies to start there right now. For the record, he started there 5 times for the Rebels this year, Inman x 7, Ellison x 3. Who knows, wing might be his calling at this level.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What I find really odd is that no one seems to have taken the time to work with Folau and kicking. He can actually kick the ball a reasonable distance - it's just that he always kicks to the man - a la aussie rules. Nevertheless his actual mechanics of kicking the ball a distance are sound. Who'd have thought of using a fullback as our kicking exit strategy?;)

Note the high contact and follow-through which all but eliminates charge-downs and enables a spiral punt.

sport-rugby-union-pic-circa-1981-international-match-australias-roger-picture-id78990967

Yep makes the charging player very wary about getting some studs in the face. Mind you with Folau's technique they'd be unlucky to get kicked in the shins and Foley is so slow he is lucky to get the ball to his boot sometimes.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
An open-side is playing at 8
A lock is playing at blindside flanker
A fly-half is playing at inside centre
An inside centre is playing at outside centre
An inside centre is playing on the wing
A fullback is playing on the wing

and two part-time coaches are filling full-time coaching positions

and not to mention a LH that was schooled in the NRC on the weekend is the reserve TH.
Cheika has lost the plot. It's test rugby for gods sake :(

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and not to mention a LH that was schooled in the NRC on the weekend is the reserve TH.
Cheika has lost the plot. It's test rugby for gods sake :(

Yep..........

A LH who was schooled at TH, while the other Wobs TH bench option was doing a fairly tidy job.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not surprised that Fardy isn't there. I mentioned a while back that he wasn't having the same impact on the collisions as previous seasons.

I think Mumm is a good option, but the constant changing at blindside places undue pressure on that player if the breakdown goes badly as 7 and 8 appear to be protected species.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well, I'm not surprised at the reaction, any time we are losing everyone gets pretty strident about selections.
Look, while it certainly wouldn't have been the side I would have picked, I can see his reasoning in each case.
Let's start with Moore, he's the captain, it would be very disruptive to change the captain mid-series (I would have).
There's not a huge gap between Sio & Slipper, Slipper runs a bit wider than Sio, maybe that's the factor.
Fardy's form has clearly been down, Mumm's has been good when he's come on (and I would say he has played about as much 6 as lock through his career).
I don't think the Pooper is why we are losing line-outs. It seems to me that during the AB's test it was either a shit throw, or they worked out where it was going and jumped in front of our man. If the ball doesn't get to the jumper (either cut off early or way over his head, it doesn't matter much who the jumper is.
Cooper at 10 and Foley at 12 is something Cheika thought could work (given the attrition rate of 12's). It didn't last week, but he may be inclined to give it a second chance before abandoning it (I would have Hodge there, and Godwin, at this stage, no-where near a test side).
DHP was one of our best against the Poms, he's obviously earned himself another chance.
As I say, not my team, but I can see a justification for each selection.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
assuming no improvement in our defence, shouldn't it have the same amount of holes as the one we ran out against the ABs last game? (except for the first 17 minutes when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was playing instead of Hodge)

But many more holes than in the games Kuridrani played No 13.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Kicking, I'm not a fan of kicking.
The best boot in the selected 15 is out on the wing.

Against the AB's QC (Quade Cooper) got kicked to plenty of times whilst he was out on the wing and was taken out of the play. He was switching between 10 and wing all game, and on quick turn over ball through error we got found out.

How many times did we string 7 phases.
How many times did we cross the add line 3 or more times in succession.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes, except for his kicking which was woeful

You don't pick Foley if you want a kicking 10, just like you didn't pick Larkham if you wanted a goal kicking 10. You always build a side around the strengths and weaknesses of the each player. "If" Foley is 10, you need other kicking options, when Larkham was 10 you needed a goal kicker etc etc

And I have said before aus is never going to beat any decent side by having a game plan built around kicking, that isn't our strength, our backs and forwards have never had that off the ball workrate/attitude to do it effectively.

Anyway to me the backs argument is a smoke screen, our pigs haven't provided that consistent platform to build any pressure.

They can't win lineouts, can't provide dominant tackles, can't turnover enough ball, can't cleanout accurately.

Until that stuff is sorted all our backs will continue to look like the pants.

We need to build pressure, to create those mismatches and we simply haven't been

Status
Not open for further replies.