• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A bit of revisionist there, Foley in the first & second English tests was now shabby at all

I recall our backline line failing to fire in both Tests. Isn't he the primary playmaker?

I recall him ignoring an overlap and running himself - a try went begging.

His kicking struggled.

But he ran himself pretty well. I guess that means he wasn't as bad as his NZ Tests.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I recall our backline line failing to fire in both Tests. Isn't he the primary playmaker?

I recall him ignoring an overlap and running himself - a try went begging.

His kicking struggled.

But he ran himself pretty well. I guess that means he wasn't as bad as his NZ Tests.

He's clearly out of form and hasn't improved as the pressure has been ratcheted up against the All Blacks but it is hard to argue that Cooper is in such scintillating form that he can lead our inexperienced backline as a sole playmaker and dominate.

It was also the only test this season where we haven't scored a try. It should be pointed out that in the second test against England our only try came from a rolling maul.

Plenty of the hand wringing about Foley is similar to what Cooper copped over a long period of time. A playmaker down on form in a losing side will always be a scapegoat.

Our problem is a lack of options. People are making out like it was obvious to pick Godwin after having joined the squad a few days ago on the back of some pretty average NRC form.

Of course Kerevi at 12 is the other option but that also didn't work in the two tests we tried it.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
He's clearly out of form and hasn't improved as the pressure has been ratcheted up against the All Blacks but it is hard to argue that Cooper is in such scintillating form that he can lead our inexperienced backline as a sole playmaker and dominate.

It was also the only test this season where we haven't scored a try. It should be pointed out that in the second test against England our only try came from a rolling maul.

Plenty of the hand wringing about Foley is similar to what Cooper copped over a long period of time. A playmaker down on form in a losing side will always be a scapegoat.

Our problem is a lack of options. People are making out like it was obvious to pick Godwin after having joined the squad a few days ago on the back of some pretty average NRC form.

Of course Kerevi at 12 is the other option but that also didn't work in the two tests we tried it.

I wonder how much of Foley's form issue is to do with an off season in Japan, it makes it a long long season..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Never argued Cooper is in such scintillating form.

My argument is Foley is in such bad form that he is a liability. Nothing to do with any other players.

Whilst Godwin and Kerevi aren't the greatest options, I don't think they will provide negative impact which Foley seems to be doing.

He is out of position, out of form, and in one of the hardest defensive positions in the backline - and has never been a good defender.

Cheika is putting Foley's back against the wall, his confidence is going to be further shot. This isn't good for Foley or the team.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Never argued Cooper is in such scintillating form.

My argument is Foley is in such bad form that he is a liability. Nothing to do with any other players.

Whilst Godwin and Kerevi aren't the greatest options, I don't think they will provide negative impact which Foley seems to be doing.

He is out of position, out of form, and in one of the hardest defensive positions in the backline - and has never been a good defender.

Cheika is putting Foley's back against the wall, his confidence is going to be further shot. This isn't good for Foley or the team.

Foley's kicking is not good enough; Chargedowns / lack of distance / not putting the ball out.

Without a 2nd playmaker (Giteau and Beale were the last good combinations with Foley) he has not been able to dictate terms in any tests this year.

If he had more kick distance and less prone to being charged down then I'm sure he would be playing #10 even without a second kicker/playmaker.

His defence, distribution, running and decision making are all up to standard for an international 10.

I wouldn't select him until there is a suitable 12 to share the kicking and is a strong defender (Giteau type).

Selecting him at 12 is also a mistake as he is out of position.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue
Louw must have something on Coetzee. Something real bad. He has been awful and directly responsible for poor breakdown performance along with his captain. The pooper will perform in this match with little competition if any at all.
Hooper and Pocock is a very wise selection by the Wallabies. If Vrou can compete with them we can win the test.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sprungboks/Sprangboks/Springlessboks/Hopping goats:

New midfield. Happy for de Jongh to get another shot. Hopefully they taught him to pass in the sevens. I have never seen the ball leave his hands. Kriel has proven himself at this level.

In all the test matches I seen him play v Aus, he hasn't had to pass the ball. Seems to score every time he goes for a run. Think it will be much the same this match up against our defensive mid field of ?????

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pixel-Ninja
Easy Win for your boys. We cannot compete with political interference. No credible coaches want to be hamstrung by having to select a team based on predefined number of players of colour.
Transformation at the moment is first priority. Winning is a bonus. There is some light on the horizon. Some of the strongest SA schools like Paul Roos, Paarl Boys High & Grey High field more then 50% player of colour on merit. We haven't see this type of 10 in ages in SA

He play for WP u19 CC at the moment and is still in school. Havent sign any contracts and wants only be a Matie and study , he sure is on the right track.

Many reasons to be positive for the future. First we need to get rid of the chicken runners, mostly white quota players in the team.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So now we have three props on the bench. I know Slipper is reserve LHP and Ala'alatoa is reserve THP (but arguably shouldn't be) so where does Mitchell fit in? Looking at his recent photos and tv appearances, he is more like the build of James Slipper than of any winger I've seen lately.

My unsolicited advice Dru is - Go back to France and let some deserving locally based winger have a go. In our wildest dreams, I don't see Dru being around for next year let alone the 2019 RWC.

Some will question who might be around to have a go. Well, I'd even look at the NRC at this stage and consider Perese or Kellaway, as they will offer much better pace and match fitness than Mitchell is likely to conjure again in his career.

If there is a push at least in the forwards to bring new faces in to replace those who are now nearing the end of their careers (Ala'alatoa, Coleman, Arnold, even McMahon), then I can see an argument to leave Scott Fardy out, but to replace him with another end of career type in Mumm doesn't wash. Would rather see someone like Dempsey or Cottrell get a chance if Fardy is left out. But that would mean the Pooper must go. And that is unlikely for the remainder of this year.

I will be hoping for a Wallabies' win, but with a backline that looks to have more holes in it than the ones we ran out against England and the ABs, I think it is most likely the Saffas will take it out by about 7 points. If lucky, we might score a losing bonus point.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
"Return of Dean's Mum and The Fatboy"

There's a Tropfest idea mulling around in my head. Anyone here made a movie?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue

Hooper and Pocock is a very wise selection by the Wallabies. If Vrou can compete with them we can win the test.
Problem is not just Ouvrou it's that Strauss makes no impact at the breakdowns like he used to (and the way Battleship used to).

So Vrou is on his lonesome ownsome.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So many harping on about Foley failing to lift the backline. What is the plan? Where are the support players in depth. At the moment it is shuffle the ball from half to 10 to whoever. Where is the structure?

I have no real preference between Foley or Cooper, but I really have to wonder about people making valid objective judgements of players form when the attack and defence structures have been so shite.

Just as an example two weeks running Genia makes a massive break and there is absolutely nobody in support. Hooper arrives late and then it takes a week for the next player to get there. In such a structure as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who you select. Fix the structures and players will "miraculously" find form.

Edit - doesn't excuse players being selected out of position and having no balance in the core skills over the side.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

Kerevi performed reasonably well in his first two tests at 12. Certainly as well as Foley, whose performances you seem to rate.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You don't need structure to kick the ball more than 40 metres reliably and avoid getting charged down, or kick the fucking thing into touch occasionally. We're just asking for the bloody basics from our 10s, even when they are playing 12.

I fully agree but I have to ask the question why is Foley kicking for touch with his pop gun boot and a history of glaring misses. Why is he the exit strategy for the same reasons? Why when DHP and Cooper last week, were always better options.

Basically because the backline coach has no F^%$^ing idea and the Head Coach has a history since returning to Australia of neglecting some areas of the game until it is blindingly obvious that it is the major cause of failure. Remember that when Latham and Burke were in the Wallabies they took many of the penalties for touch because of the length and accuracy they got. It is not a default 10 job.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kerevi performed reasonably well in his first two tests at 12. Certainly as well as Foley, whose performances you seem to rate.

Except in my first sentence you quoted where I said he's clearly out of form.

I am suggesting that the reason Cheika is picking Foley at 12 rather than Kerevi is that he wants a second playmaker in the 12 jersey.

Other people are seemingly saying that is a ridiculous opinion and the only reason he's being picked is because Cheika is biased of some other tinfoil hat take on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.