• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Also McReight, McDermott plus Wilson have been hyped in times past. I have never heard Bowen being touted as a super star and please Lynagh at 10, I would prefer Lolesio. And yes, a great idea giving Jorgensen a go at 10 starting at club rugby first, he has pace, vision a good kicking game. None of the other 10's have that quality, particularly pace. Lynagh is about the slowest of the lot, I could chase him down on the paddock. Pace and vision at fly-half who can also defend, that way the opposition will think twice and not assume that the fly-half will always pass it or kick. They need to be able to crack the defence wide open at fly half as well as pass, kick and tackle, Beuden Barret, Richie Mounga style. Give us one of those and a decent forward pack Aussie might move up the rankings a bit but not until then. Fly-half is and has been our biggest problem since Quade and Foley have moved on. In saying that Foley was not great either particularly his kicking game but definitely better than who we currently have to choose from.
Interesting comment.

Speed is always an asset right, and Barrett & Mounga make good use of it on top of their anticipation and quick read of the game. Smith is similiar for England.

On the other hand I’ve never thought Sexton seemed particularly quick. And there are plenty of others. I’d argue Quade Cooper was a better test 10 after he lost his speed - although you could argue back he would have probably been even better if he’d retained it and I’d agree.

Lynagh makes enough breaks to suggest he’s quick enough to at least be a threat to the defence. So long as he is quick enough between the ears.

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting comment.

Speed is always an asset right, and Barrett & Mounga make good use of it on top of their anticipation and quick read of the game. Smith is similiar for England.

On the other hand I’ve never thought Sexton seemed particularly quick. And there are plenty of others. I’d argue Quade Cooper was a better test 10 after he lost his speed - although you could argue back he would have probably been even better if he’d retained it and I’d agree.

Lynagh makes enough breaks to suggest he’s quick enough to at least be a threat to the defence. So long as he is quick enough between the ears.
If we are talking speed of our 10’s, Donaldson is easily the fastest.

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
Listening to Schmidt's press conference it sounds like Donaldson has some serious work ons.

I've also found it interesting some of the commentary of him playing deeper than Noah as if its a good thing, Noah's main criticism from Rennie was that he played too deep and didnt take on the line

dru

David Wilson (68)
Everyone hated Gordon last year now most think he’s the best… lucky we aren’t all coaches!

Utter nonsense. Many saw the ability. Not just Tah fans. Led that team well.

He might not be the 9 we want at the Wallabies, but his talent has not been ignored as you suggest.

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
Utter nonsense. Many saw the ability. Not just Tah fans. Led that team well.

He might not be the 9 we want at the Wallabies, but his talent has not been ignored as you suggest.
Maybe not be you, but plenty didn’t rate him. The turn around on here is comedy at its best.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t even get why you would want to push Jorgenson to 10. He seems the sort you’d want with time and space as often as possible and a licence to roam.
I think at test level it definitely helps to have a few outside backs that can fill in at 10 at a pinch. If the boks 6:2 bench is any indication of where test rugby might be heading, ideally you'd have an outside back or centre at 23 that can fill in at 10. Its certainly possible beale could have filled that role for schmidt.
One thing that is notable about the current squad is that compared to wallaby teams of the past we dont have a lot of guys that have the versatility to play centre or 10 as well as in the back 3.. ideally we wouldnt carry a pure 10 like lynagh on the bench.

Reactions: TSR

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think our expectations for this game should be realistic. We are missing some key players from what would be our best side. TT, Bell, McReight, Skelton, Wright and an inform/shape Koreibete. In order to match and even think about beating this Bok side you need to take them on up front. That is going to be tough without the above players.
I imagine Schmitty is looking for a decent performance with a respectable scoreline and thinking a loss to the world champs will not be the end of the world for his young side, after which we build through the RC.