• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Lyall

Herbert Moran (7)
I have just watched the replay. I was a victim of the ignorance of RA not bowing to the demands of GPS schoolboy parents and instead opting to avoid a broadcast clash with that other insignificant global sporting event that was going on at the same time (for an example of the alternative check out the grandstands in Wellington).

Anyways, I did find some advantages of a delayed complete viewing. Instead of screaming at the screen whenever the saffers were standing in our backline I actually took notice of some other things. I don’t think it’s as disastrous as it seemed in real time. It probably depends how you looked at it - if you were in the camp looking at it as 1st on the planet v 9th it wasn’t too bad. If your expectations were that we were suddenly going to return to the 90s/00s then you would have been disappointed.

In summary, I reckon half of the 26 points difference came down to experience, the other half came down to the set piece, which largely revolved around missing all of Tupou, Bell, McReight, Wright, and not having a settled locking pair.

It will be a slow grind, but I just want to see improvement and some combinations evolve. I don’t see any unforced changes for next week, except for maybe at 10. In Daugunu’s place I’d start Pietsch and bring Koroibete off the bench, I thought Pietsch was pretty good except for the knock on. He wasn’t the only bloke to make a mistake. For the concussed locks, whatever the coaches see as the best solution, I have no idea.
Not a question necessarily directed to you KOB but you mentioned the concussions. I counted four of our guys with head cuts/concussions - Frost, Williams, AAA and Gordon, there could've been more, is that a normal amount or am I reading too much into it?
I might as well ask while I'm here, twice I saw Marx's head pop out of the scrum first, one time at least a scrum penalty went against us afterwards, am I missing something there too?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Not a question necessarily directed to you KOB but you mentioned the concussions. I counted four of our guys with head cuts/concussions - Frost, Williams, AAA and Gordon, there could've been more, is that a normal amount or am I reading too much into it?
I might as well ask while I'm here, twice I saw Marx's head pop out of the scrum first, one time at least a scrum penalty went against us afterwards, am I missing something there too?
I am only going off the official release which said that Frost and Williams would be following the return to play protocols, which I inferred as meaning they won’t play next Sat as I think they are 13 days? I could be wrong but I don’t think any of ours players actually went off for a HIA. I can’t answer the scrum question but there are a few scrum doctors here who could .

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I saw that too. We were penalised a couple of times when AAA popped up, once after the ball had left. Marx did pop up a few times but they were dominate and moving forward?

rugbyAU

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Screen Shot 2024-08-11 at 10.11.37 pm.png

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I think you are probably talking about the scrums at 33:00 (AAA penalised for "popping") and then 34:14.

Marx does stand up in the second scrum as it disintegrated, but the Wallabies have already given up advantage (we never find out what for, but I imagine it because our pack is facing the sideline at that point)

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
At the end of the day we need to be realistic and accept we were never going to be a chance against the strong teams this year.
We sucked last year, we didn’t have a team make the final of super rugby and we barely beat wales and Georgia. Joe needs more time and hopefully can turn things around and maybe with stronger squads for reds and tahs next year some of the players will develop some winning habits.

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
There wasn’t actually that much difference in pack sizes and Frost & Lukhan are easily big enough to be effective locks, and likewise Valetini & Wilson in the back row. But a combination of factors mean they don’t have the same impact. Some of this are individual and the players need to be better. Some are about cohesion and execution.
You can't teach to gain meters after contact. You are at that level or you aren't and sadly these players aren't at the same level of the current Springboks

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So, positives:

Scramble defence really good.
I thought the physicality was good in terms of effort if not execution.
The lineout fixes are relatively easy and will provide us more ball next time.
We've got another game together under our belts.
You learn more from a loss than a win

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Watching that game a few things seemed obvious. AAA is not a top tier 3 and Lolesio can only play when we have a reasonable chance of holding their pack and giving him some space. Nongorr looked the goods, Frost and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) played OK, Valetini was a handful in the 2nd half. The pack fought hard but poor in discipline. The backs were never given a chance without go forward ball and poor distribution from Gordon and Lolesio complicated issues.
#1 Lesson - Cut down the kicking, giving the ball to SA or NZ is a desperate act with little reward.

attacking play was apples and oranges between the two teams..

Once the Wallabies realised they couldn't get the fast ball at the ruck and momentum through the forwards playing off the Gordon, they threw it out to the backs who either kicked it or looked lost for any kind of attacking enterprise. Springboks backline play was fluid at times, use of 2n’d playmakers and decoy runners had Wallabies defence on the back foot.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
What happened to Wilson? People don't seem happy.
I personally think some of the criticism is a bit overblown, but he only had an average game - was a bit ineffectual and made a couple of errors (as a result of playing his natural game pushing passes, etc. - might've been a different story if McReight was alongside him). Also probably exacerbated by the rest of the pack struggling as well.

It seems to me like he hasn't nailed the adaptation from Super to Test level with respect to his style of play. In saying that, I still expect Schmidt to pick him next week tbh.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What happened to Wilson? People don't seem happy.
He was fine, one bad miss tackle on the tryline after getting through a mountain of work. Problem seems to be people expecting players to generate a lot of go forward and impact of very flat play where we don't have the fluency in attack to be putting bodies in motion. Just about every player rating out there has him as one of the best performed wallabies (but only a 6ish out of 10).

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Also read a lot of complaints here about Salakaia-Loto, missing 5 tackles which is pretty unforgiveable but got a decent rating over on Roar.