• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Also read a lot of complaints here about Salakaia-Loto, missing 5 tackles which is pretty unforgiveable but got a decent rating over on Roar.
He had a couple of bad misses, but I think some of the others may have been in cover where it shouldn't have been down to him. On the plus side he got through a lot of work on the carry, and was busy in the lineout (second most takes after Wilson). I don't think it was a great game for him overall, but he wasn't helped by concussions to both Frost and Williams meaning he played all but 2 minutes when he was probably intended to be the first lock subbed off. We finished the game with him and Wilson in the 2nd row for the last ~10 minutes.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a bench role and just getting to rip in for ~30 minutes, but I'm not sure we can sacrifice the size from the starting pack.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Also read a lot of complaints here about Salakaia-Loto, missing 5 tackles which is pretty unforgiveable but got a decent rating over on Roar.
I don't recall seeing Lukan fall off tackles from the ground. Looking at the stats alone could be quite misleading as some of those tackles could have been from broken play.

The biggest missed tackles came from Alan and Slipper who both fell off their man.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was impressed with the boks solution to the tip pass at contact, just smash the passer and attack the receiver on that side, because the "plan" is to have the passer cleanout, pretty hard when they are on the ground

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
So, positives:

Scramble defence really good.
I thought the physicality was good in terms of effort if not execution.
The lineout fixes are relatively easy and will provide us more ball next time.
We've got another game together under our belts.
You learn more from a loss than a win
The problem is the boks learn more as well.. it will
Be over 50 this weekend

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I don't recall seeing Lukan fall off tackles from the ground. Looking at the stats alone could be quite misleading as some of those tackles could have been from broken play.

The biggest missed tackles came from Alan and Slipper who both fell off their man.
Have a look who was standing next to those guys for those misses.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was targeted by the Boks in defence, or at least they were targeting the slow forwards standing next to each other, of which LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was usually one. He's always struggled with lateral speed in the line

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
my key observation of our attack/shape is our forward runners were either too close or too wide from the ruck. We were either running it 5m from the ruck where the SA defence was already set OR about 25m from the ruck where the Saffas would make their tackle and then we would be isolated.

It felt like the passes needed to be a bit wider to be putting our forwards 15m or so from the ruck

Not sure if this is just poor execution or a result of playing off 9

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Without doing this to death - listening to the Eggchasers (yeah I know they're all pretentious poms), they were pretty scathing of the Australian performance. Their big point was the lack of organisation from Australia (which I'm pretty sure most of us lamented earlier).

I'm not sure I've seen any game where it's taken 75 minutes for Aus to get points on the board.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
We had nobody able to be a bully on the field and you need a few in Test Rugby.

I'll give Hunter credit he has a go but de Allende is a class above and can eat him up both ways. Only one i reckon that would have made them know where he is on the field.

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
We had nobody able to be a bully on the field and you need a few in Test Rugby.

I'll give Hunter credit he has a go but de Allende is a class above and can eat him up both ways. Only one i reckon that would have made them know where he is on the field.
Hunter is the most harmless inside centre in the world. The last time the Wallabies were a threat at test level was with a fit Kerevi at 12 (Before 2023 RWC)

Bigboppa2

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hunter is the most harmless inside centre in the world. The last time the Wallabies were a threat at test level was with a fit Kerevi at 12 (Before 2023 RWC)
If you've seen any of Reds Super rugby games, you would understand why Hunter is a must pick for the Wallabies squad. When he has opportunities he doesn't hesitate to take them and when he's playing off a good 10 with good service and timing his talent will shine. And really who would you pick over him based of his Super rugby performance?

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
If you've seen any of Reds Super rugby games, you would understand why Hunter is a must pick for the Wallabies squad. When he has opportunities he doesn't hesitate to take them and when he's playing off a good 10 with good service and timing his talent will shine. And really who would you pick over him based of his Super rugby performance?
Agree

Best

TT

footyguru21

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey @Bigboppa2,

I strongly disagree with your questionable thought about Hunter. As much as I love the guy especially when playing for the Reds I don't believe he is the best choice for the Wallabies. He has a lot of talent as you said but someone that talented shouldn't have to rely on the 10's service. If he wants to start he should be creating things on his own and don't even get me started on that defence last weekend.

Cheers,

FG

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I take the point but who is better in Aus right now when Kerevi doesn't seem to be in the picture? Foketi doesn't seem to be on Schmidts rader since even Walton got called up to the squad ahead of him.

His biggest hurdle is his predictability. He plays like a beast but doesn't perform like one.

I think it's just another position we don't have a top class option.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I take the point but who is better in Aus right now when Kerevi doesn't seem to be in the picture? Foketi doesn't seem to be on Schmidts rader since even Walton got called up to the squad ahead of him.

His biggest hurdle is his predictability. He plays like a beast but doesn't perform like one.

I think it's just another position we don't have a top class option.
I think from memory Walton came into the squad when Ikitau got injured, but it was just to hold tackle bags as they were in Sydney and Foketi was on annual leave.

rugbyAU

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good afternoon companions,

What is your predicted wallabies line up for this weekend?

Cheers,

FG
1. Bell
2. Nasser
3. AA
4. Blyth
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. Tizzano
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Koro
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Faessler
17. Slipper
18. Zane
19. Uru
20. Reimer
21. Mcdermott
22. Lynagh
23. Jorgensen

Last edited:

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hunter plays cause there's no other one