• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Sorry, have I missed something? Where is Higgers? Is he injured? I thought the whole "mongrel" discussion centred on him coming into the team...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
hougaard would come on as backup halfback i would think. hasn't played there much so it's throwing him to the fire a bit, but that's what his future is supposed to hold. blue could elaborate.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Perhaps more interesting that the Wallaby team is the Springbok one:

15. Zane Kirchner 14. Gio Aplon 13. Jaque Fourie 12. Wynand Oliver 11. Bryan Habana 10. Morne Steyn 9. Ruan Pienaar 8. Pierre Spies 7. Ryan Kankowski 6. Schalk Burger 5. Victor Matfield 4. Danie Rossouw 3. BJ Botha 2. John Smit (capt) 1. Gurthro Steenkamp

Reserves: 16. Chiliboy Ralepelle 17. CJ van der Linde 18. Flip van der Merwe 19. Dewald Potgieter 20. Francois Hougaard 21. Butch James 22. Juan de Jongh

Aplon to start, Burger back to openside and a winger as reserve halfback just to name a few interesting points.

Wasn't Blue saying F Hougaard is normally a HB, and probably the best in SA behind FdP, but has been playing wing because he's fast enough to?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
hougaard would come on as backup halfback i would think. hasn't played there much so it's throwing him to the fire a bit, but that's what his future is supposed to hold. blue could elaborate.

Played there his entire career until last year. He is a scrummie who can play wing.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
quite right blue. i should have said hasn't played there much recently or at this high level of competition. so a step up but not an unnatural position.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Perhaps Habana covering halfback maybe? It's been done before.

Kankowski will be keen but its a trio we haven't seen before so might have a few issues with timing and combination.

Yah if they had a problem with Louw I cannot underastand why they aren't starting Potgieter who is a natural 7. Look Kankowski is a game breaker and I suspect he an Spies will take turns at 7 and 8. Maybe on attacke Kanko will be at 8 because he and Pienaar know each other so well.

Spies is lucky to start. He is playing like a pussy.

Not happy about Olivier but that's that.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
quite right blue. i should have said hasn't played there much recently or at this high level of competition. so a step up but not an unnatural position.

Yeah stepping up in the test arena is another thing.

He would still be better than Fat Arse Ricky. At least he will be poresent at the ruck while it is in progress.

Butch James is having a cracker of a free holiday.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Wallabies open training session was a dissapointment yesterday, got there half an hour late to only see the forwards doing some lineouts at the far side (buy mostly talking), and the backs doing some kicking practice. Most didn't even last out the session. There was zero intensity.

A few notes:

1. JOC (James O'Connor) got some additional instruction on goal kicking technique from Robbie towards the end, but seems to have a propensity to pull his kicks. Barnes looked the best qoal kicker as far as striking the ball is concerned.
2. No surprises to see Burgess, Genia, Pocock and Brown doing some extra work after the main session had finished. Part of the reason that two of these guys are world class, and the other two keep getting selected despite not having the skills of some of the other players.
3. Cummings actually looks quite skilled as far as kicking and taking the high ball are concerned.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Butch James is having a cracker of a free holiday.

Yeah, what's with that? I think a lot of players around SA might be feeling (justifiably) pissed off that he walks back in from the UK when they've been toiling in the toughest comp...

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the Boks are going to come into this game as underdogs - at least they will feel that way. They haven't won in Brisbane since the early 1970's, have never won at Suncorp, are coming off 2 losses, and didn't win at Suncorp during the Super rugby season this year.

They did win there....against Samoa in RWC 2003...(I was there)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
+1. The other thing I abhor Naza is just how transparently and consistently GG acts as the convenient, uncritical mouthpiece for the ARU when it needs to feed a line out to the unsuspecting public, often in defence of nothing but itself. And it's all made to appear as though it's some kind of 'breaking news' of profound interest.

He also seems to be happy to whinge about the Tahs all season as well

T

tranquility

Can't really argue with that 22, but I think if we lose this test match their will be a very different looking 22 to play the All Blacks.

Brown will be replaced by higgers
Barnes or Giteau replaced by A. Finger
Mitchell ---> Sheperd

Let just hope for a bloody win

D

daz

I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances this weekend. I think we should win, but IMHO what I really want to see is naked aggression at the breakdown, strong defense and a fluid, cohesive attack. Play with heart and guts. Go the extra mile and any other positive cliché you can think of.

Give us something to hang our hats on so we can say "Ok, that was impressive", or "I can really see things improving from game to game". Do that, and I'll cop a loss if that is how the rugby Gods are smiling.

Do anything less, and they can all get fucked.....

Wobs by 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.