• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Live commentary is going here. I'll also add in any twitter users who want to be included, just send a message to @beerandsport

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
what is 8 to 1?
that was a pen try.

gits you fuking idot. scrum 5 out and the trck the ball up. stay overseas you suck

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
MOTM if you're a raving cock-smoker: Bryce "Midget Sheep Worrier" Lawrence. Or Cueto and Monye together for that abortion of a tackle on TwoDads to allow us the try. Suck it.

Good discipline in the second half to keep them out. I still disagree with taking the points when we were so dominant and our lineout finally clicked. I can live with Mitchell's toe-through because it shows something different on attack. They had about 4-5 defenders against two Wallabies, and with our ruck... shit.

Big Fails: Diggers should have knuckled down for that try and just driven at the line. Elsom should have given to Hynes for the try. Ruck still a bit disorganised.

Ben Tune is a shit commentator.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In perspective, England are still trying to gel their combinations. If we'd scored those two tries we bombed then the scoreline would have been appropriate - about 30-9.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done lads. It's great to have a win away but the way we were going in the 1st 20 minutes it looked like the same old shit different day. Some of the penalties seemed inexplicable but I saw 3 coming in from the side events from us when all it would have taken would have been another step or two to near enough to the back of the ruck and then a drive forward. It's just laziness.

The scrum was as good as I thought it would be and the lineouts a shade better. And unlike in a lot of the 3N games we were competing hard at the end of the match.

Well done to MOTM Genia. He's going to be the Oz scrummie for a long time based on 2009 form and watching him is like seeing the baton passed by our sequence of great scrummies since WWII - Burke, Connor, Catchpole, Hipwell, NFJ and Gregan - to him. The two Pom scrummies were just passers by comparison.

Cooper did well except for missing a tackle or two and Deans should be well pleased with his right foot foil to Giteau's left foot.

I don't think that any of us would fool ourselves that we would have beaten the Boks or Blacks tonight with that performance, nor Ireland nor Wales. Again we failed to score tries when we were near the goal line, but in counterpoint the defensive effort was one of the best of the year and the Poms never really look like scoring a 5 pointer except for one time in the 1st half when we surrendered a penalty goal. A good exchange, I thought.

Whilst the backs played well I was disappointed in the lack of set moves - not a patch on the mid-week game - and sometimes they had a straight line with too many players in it instead of a couple of blokes in a second wave so that the ball could be passed behind the first wave.

At half-time I was almost throwing stuff at the TV because we were losing to a bunch of plodders

Not all of them: let's not have any more silly talk about Wilko being over-rated. The guy is still a champ and had he not been there tonight it would have been ugly for them.

But I take back my wrap on 12 Geraghty who was just a one trick pony with his stutter step learned from Wilko. It just demonstrates the difference between the GP and a big test match. His play tonight was a great career move for the absent Cipriani. Banahan was another dud. The big winger looks like he's a flat track bully in the GP but looked sluggish at this level.

It's just as well they have lineouts in rugby else Deacon and Borthwick wouldn't have been paid tonight. Their pay should have gone to 6 Croft and 7 Moody for overtime. They were tops and I doubt that Haskell will be overlooked for 8 Crane again, even though he's more of a 6.

Pom fans would have been ticked off when they saw a bit of action from their players when they fell behind and walking back to the parking lot after the game would have bemoaned why they didn't try when they were ahead. Monye was wasted on attack for the bulk of the game.

I'm writing this watching the All Black game which, without giving a spoiler, is being played at a much higher pace than the Twickenham test by both teams and with a bit more skill. But our blokes have made a good first step.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
NTA said:

Hey, at least you weren't listening to the English fucksticks I had to.

1. How can they not tell the difference between TPN and George Smith?

2. Is it really necessary to continually bring up the racial heritage of our players? Genia, Palu etc. as though it is some indictment that we poach players?

3. One arse clown- I think it was Stuart Barnes, actually had the temerity to state that Australia could not argue with the penalty count as the referee was from New Zealand. Suggesting, I'm presuming, that he will give Australia a free ride, as we're neighbours. :angryfire:

I

Inconceivable

Stuart Barnes is a twat.

When Hynes got penalised for a "dangerous" tackle, Barnes thought it was for not rolling away, and went on and on about how it was justified. Painful to listen to.

C

chief

I know every week I complain about the ref. But how is Bryce Lawrence even a professional ref? I am utterly bemused.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not all of them: let's not have any more silly talk about Wilko being over-rated. The guy is still a champ and had he not been there tonight it would have been ugly for them.

Lee,

Just because we think he is overrated, doesn't mean we don't think he is good. He certainly is good, but in the grand scheme of flyhalfs he most certainly is overrated. You only have to live in England for a bit to realise this.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought Lawerence had a reasonable 2nd half. Missed a few things both ways but that is always going to happen. Was inconsistent in the ruck decisions in the first half though.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Was at the game and have to say, very impressed with Quade Cooper. Not sure how much it showed up on the broadcast but he was involved with everything and gave our attack a lot of sting with those long flat cut out passes. Gits is fine as a distributor but his running game just doesn't work at 10. Time and time again he'd dart forward and get caught up. With Quade distributing and Gits running wider I reckon he'd break the line a lot more often.

I know that's hardly groundbreaking analysis - everyone's been calling for Gits at 12 - but after seeing it live I'm absolutely convinced.

Also, sanchez is a fucking hero.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Major Spliff Biggins said:
NTA said:

Hey, at least you weren't listening to the English fucksticks I had to.

I was. I was talking about the post-match comments between the One Digital hosts. Hesitant, shocking, mindless. Half this forum could do a better job.

Lee Grant said:
in counterpoint the defensive effort was one of the best of the year and the Poms never really look like scoring a 5 pointer

Counter-counterpoint - the Poms attack is shit. That Geraghty bloke had a couple of moments where he could have made something and absolutely stuffed it. Hipkiss looked far better because he knows his role: run at people.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Lee, that was Jonny's best game ever that I have seen. He wasn't half that in 2003, although he was a better goalkicker in the old days.

England would have lost by 2 more tries if he wasn't there. Perhaps the best defensive 10 in the world? And still hasn't got a pass, but at least was making half-breaks and popping passes.

And he still got beaten by Quade last night.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I can hear utter incompetents the world over penning letters of complaint.

Put it this way: If a shit walked into a burger joint, ordered a shit burger, ate it, shat it out, and then ate that shit that it just shit out, that's about how shit Bryce Lawrence would be.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, Jonny is class, but not up there with the great five-eighths in terms of an all-round game. Yes, kicks very well in all aspects, defends wonderfully well, but creates little otherwise. But still a very good player.
Bryce is just rubbish. No complaints from me about being disadvantaged, but he is just poor quality.
Quaaaade was good, few little Quaddities here and there, but often dangerous, Digby too at times but limited opportunities.
Giteau was pretty average, and I felt butchered possession in very good attacking position 2-3 times where he just shouldn't.
Front row performed well - impressed with Moore, Fat Cat (as usual), but Alexander is not much after scrum time, but I guess that's his main brief.
Horwill better, Palu much better, Smith anonymous and Rocky OK.
Genia was terrific, not perfect, but generally good in all aspects with few real lapses.
Good win in the end, but probably should have been at least one more try.
England - really have nothing in attack, and plodders, as Lee put it, is just about right. Banahan summed them up for me - big, tattooed, apparently scary but about as mobile as a barge.

Status
Not open for further replies.