• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
BillyWebb said:
Biffo said:
BillyWebb said:
Genia.... how the f#ck did they keep picking Burgess ahead of him?!

"They" didn't keep preferring Burgess. Genia missed a lot of S14 and club games because of suspension and injury. As soon as he was fit, he was on the bench for the Wallabies and got 7-8 minutes in that game. His workload was increased over the next two games and then he was selected to start.

Rather than panned for poor selection, "they" should be credited with excellent management of a player returning from injury AND of precocious talent.

Aah, well... I stand corrected. ;)

Boy can play, can't he?

B

BillyWebb

Biffo said:
BillyWebb said:
Biffo said:
BillyWebb said:
Genia.... how the f#ck did they keep picking Burgess ahead of him?!

"They" didn't keep preferring Burgess. Genia missed a lot of S14 and club games because of suspension and injury. As soon as he was fit, he was on the bench for the Wallabies and got 7-8 minutes in that game. His workload was increased over the next two games and then he was selected to start.

Rather than panned for poor selection, "they" should be credited with excellent management of a player returning from injury AND of precocious talent.

Aah, well... I stand corrected. ;)

Boy can play, can't he?

Yep, he certainly can!
And he's still a relative baby i.t.o. age and experience so it should only get even better from here on.
As I said in an earlier post, I can see the Wobbly team taking shape.
If the media doesn't beat them up too badly while they're in the process of moulding this lot together, that's going to be a pretty good squad come RWC2011.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
BillyWebb said:
If the media doesn't beat them up too badly while they're in the process of moulding this lot together, that's going to be a pretty good squad come RWC2011.

It's not the media we have to fear in that regard, it's ferals on rugby forums. :)

B

BillyWebb

Biffo said:
BillyWebb said:

It's not the media we have to fear in that regard, it's ferals on rugby forums. :)

hmmm.... even a bigger threat then given how highly regarded comment from rugby forums is with international players and... err.. hold that thought... :lmao:

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
PaarlBok said:
mark_s said:
Spiro had an interesting take on Giteau's game. He implied that Gits was running at Wilko in order to tire him out and take him out of the game. Spiro reckons Jonny was sucking in the big ones in the 2nd half.

Didn't see this myself but would be interested if anyone is watching another replay whether this is actually the case or not.
Tell you what, Wilko's defense was top stuff, he knocked the big ones also over. The bit on Giteau was only a few ones. Spiro talking his usual kak.

Spiro seems to be speaking less and less sense. That is absurd. The cost/benefit analysis of wasting good attacking ball versus throwing his 80kg frame at JW just doesnt add up.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Scotty said:
I'm not saying anything original here. The best thing to take away from this game is that we can stop buggerising around trying to place someone at 13; Diggers owns that now and that means AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can take 15 and Britney can stay in his tracksuit. The only positions that haven't been claimed are 11, 7, 3 and 2.

I'd suggest that the only positions that have really be 'nailed' at this stage are 1, 6, 7 & 9, plus ensuring that Ioane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are somewhere on the team sheet.

2 - If Moore gets back to 08 form, then that is nailed, but TPN also offers a lot
3 - Alexander needs to string a whole tour together to say he has nailed TH
4 - Horwill also needs to get back to 08 form
5 - Chisholm might be a bit weak in the air to be a good foil for Horwill
8 - If Palu keeps that up (and his ball security) he will have nailed 8 with a game or two
10 - I'd suggest we can't say Cooper has nailed it until a year or two at the top level - too inconsistent in the path
11/14 - These guys aren't a patch on the likes of Tune/Roff so I think there will always be scope for someelse to put their hand up
12 - It needs to be Gits
13 - Ioane still untested, and Mortlock to come back
15 - Again not a patch on the likes of Latham/Burke, and we are all still not convinced his best position isn't 13.

You say that Cooper hasn't nailed it. "until a year or two at the top level"
Then how can Gits be considered at 12 all the time with the amount of injuries that Barnes gets?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Having watched this game a 3-4 times now, I reckon there's a facet of the play that's been little talked about, and may well have been the key factor in the result; tactical kicking.

The poms wouldn't let the chip kick go, even though it wasn't working. We'd then pump it long, they had no counter-attack but were wary of ours and would clear to touch, giving us a territory gain.

Good play from us, or shit play by poms?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You say that Cooper hasn't nailed it. "until a year or two at the top level"
Then how can Gits be considered at 12 all the time with the amount of injuries that Barnes gets?

I'm not sure what you mean? But I can say that I believe that Gits has proven himself a fantastic international IC, and an average international FH.

Barnes, most definately hasn't 'nailed' it due to the amount of injuries, and dare I say a slight lack of talent (can't question his work ethic though).

Status
Not open for further replies.