• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Also pleased - now if only 10 and 12 swap a lot in the game - could be quite handy.
Particularly happy to see Smith back in.

S

Spook

Wow, what a selection. Has me very nervous but it's what we all wanted.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Sully said:
Yes we will score tries!

and we can't tackle

Who there, besides Cooper, suggests we can't tackle? Digby has excellent defence and there are worse than Mitchell e.g. Ryan Cross.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its possible that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will move to 12 in defence a bit with Cooper dropping to fullback. That would provide a pretty solid defensive frontline and give more width to our attack. Cooper tackling Banahan on the burst might be interesting.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still plays fullback like a centre for mine but this is probably our strongest back line in the circumstances.

Cyclo I'm also glad to see Smith back. England won't be. He knows more shortcuts and tricks than Pocock. I'm not sure why Deans dropped him but he was clearly happy with the way Smith responded. It does show Smith still has great desire to play for the Wallabies. Whilst I didnt doubt this, particularly in light of what he is reported to have said during his recent contract negotiations, for those players who have played a lot of tests (and Smith has played more than most) it would be easy to get a bit stale. Good on him for showing us all that he has fire in his belly.

Horwill and Chisolm need to step up. So do Moore and Elsom. Palu will hopefully carry forward his form from last week.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Good to see that Deans has read and taken most of the GAGR recommendations with this lineup and I expect Gits and Cooper to swap around at 10 and 12.

I hope Rocky gets over his stage fright from Toyko and can play and captain at the same time. George Smith seemed to suffer from this problem. Great captains have to be able to do both, i.e. Eales, Farr-Jones, Mortlock in his prime.

Any of you statisticians out there have the numbers on caps of the two sides? Could be an interesting comparison.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
agreed Cutter and PT in respect to who needs to step up.

finally a backline that looks like it's put out there to score tries. if we don't with them, then i don't know ::)

glad to see redemption for smith. i thought he showed a lot of heart coming off the bench. nothing against pocock in that though.

i prefer TPN over moore around the park and scrumming too, but someone needs to get the lineout working. moore threw better with poor calls i guess as opposed to TPN throwing worse with good calls. need the best of both this time.

lineout and ball security are the key areas after last week.

S

Spook

I think Cutter is right when he says AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will defend at 12.

F

Fsia.Adelaide

hey guys, i'm pretty happy with this team, right names but some with the wrong numbers on their backs perhaps?!

Still not convinced 10 is the best spot for Giteau, he hits the half back's pass hard and fast and takes it up to the defense very quickly, very often, and because of this, 8 out of ten times he ends up throwing a short switch pass to the player immediately outside, who has been forced to cut back inside because the defense is right up on us, therefore cutting down the space and options out wide. Shit i hope this is making sense!! don't get me wrong, there is a time for this, as Gits has shown with brilliant results, when we are 10m out and need to score, but I still feel a more 'patient' 10 is what we need, and Barnesy and QC (Quade Cooper) fit that mould in my book!

As for Giteau, he is an immense talent, and I feel he would dominate at 13, in a little more space, the running lines he picks when supporting the ball carrier have always been superb, see the try he scored against RSA in the 75th minute in Perth this year. I would love to see him outside a creative 12 with great distribution skills like Barnes, in fact i reckon a starting backline consisting of:

15) AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - this boy is pure class and will be one of the greats one day
14) Digby - hard agressive and fast
13) Giteau
12) barnes - great vision and distribution skills, not a big hitter on defense, but makes his tackles
11) JOC (James O'Connor) - out of form at the moment, maybe we all expecting too much too soon from the youngster, great attacking skills when in form!
10)QC (Quade Cooper) - him and barnes can interchange quite often, particularly when kicking on defense is needed.
9) genia - quick service

with burgess, Hynes and Mitchell on the bench. A little lean in the beef department, but should be pretty decent on attack!

But back to Saturday. The team looks good, they obviously went for Mitchell cos he has a good kicking game, and JOC (James O'Connor)'s confidence will be low. Hynes will also be solid.

we need to sort out lineouts for sure, but i think we'll have the edge in the loose forward battle, I am looking forward to Saturday!

R

rugbywhisperer

My only concern is again the tendency (read habitual habit) of Giteau to run sideways and cramp those outside him. I don't think Cooper will receive too much good ball from this but I as always am hopeful.
Agree that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will do what he did last week and fill the gap at 12. IMO that might have been a better option from the get go to have Cooper at 15 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12 but would have prefered Cooper at 10 and Gits at 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and if you have to Ioane or Mitchell at 15.
Scoring tries has been our deficiency and that has come solely from our inability to make a break - no matter how goof the 15 is 10-12-13 must move forward and get behind the gain line and this we have NOT done all year.

C

chief

There's a team I'm incredibly happy with. Well except for Stephen Moore.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spook said:
I think Cutter is right when he says AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will defend at 12.
In every broken play situation?

Doesn't work like that. Cooper will have to front in defense. No doubt the English ball carriers will seek him out. Big test.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think both Aus and Eng will be happy with this Aus team. I would have swtiched Giteau/Cooper around but that will happen anyway. As expected, Smith is starting again. Interesting that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is back at 15 as I thought he had a poor game with the boot last weekend. All this will be irrelevant if we can't sort out lineout though

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Blue said:
Spook said:

Doesn't work like that. Cooper will have to front in defense. No doubt the English ball carriers will seek him out. Big test.

No doubt Cooper will have to front up in defence. From set pieces I expect to see him at the back though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Blue said:
Spook said:

Cooper's defensive errors are more about his decisions, than his technique.

He is an enthusiastic defender (and attacker) who needs to learn to underplay his hand instead of rushing.

S

Spook

Cutter said:
Blue said:
Spook said:

No doubt Cooper will have to front up in defence. From set pieces I expect to see him at the back though.

Yep on set-piece.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scarfman said:
I always thought that RO'G was better than him around the field, but worse (much worse) at tackling.

Ronan kicks to the corners better and can find his midfielders more usefully. Although it's true that his midfielders aren't useless tits, like Jonny's.

Funny I was thinking the same thing when watching some footage yesterday.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Welcome fsia.Adelaide. Catchy name.

Best team Deans has put out. Except:

Why 10 / 12? Tactical / swapping /defensive situation? Or stubbornness? We'll see.

And when the worst thing about our last 2-3 tests is the lineout, why not change it? Deano IS - no debate - a better lineout option and tactician than either of the incumbents.

And I assume that 2 / 16 is because of an ongoing minor injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.