• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Headgear mostly just stops or mitigates the cuts from knocks to the head.

I'm no doctor but surely headgear offers at least some (albeit minor) protection during a head collision?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm no doctor but surely headgear offers at least some (albeit minor) protection during a head collision?

It certainly offers some minor protection because it compresses and increases the time over which the force is absorbed by the head (impulse in physics).

I have no idea whether there is any great research to show how much it reduces the impact and severity of concussion but I'd guess it isn't a huge amount otherwise headgear would be more widely used.

Reactions: BDA

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
If the game was on this weekend I would think that To'omua, whilst being fit to play, might be rested as Querty suggests, but I'm hoping the extra week off will allow him to play.

He's pretty important to our chances on the weekend. The options are pretty poor after To'omua.
Beale - unlikely to be in the squad and I reckon he'd be a disaster starting against the All Blacks
Horne - was poor there on the weekend and only weakens our kicking options (which would be bad given how poorly we've kicked this year)
Lilo - probably the best option but is really yet to have a stand-out game at 12 this season.
Godwin - injured
McCabe - retired
Didn't you see the blog player ratings To'omua got a 4 and Horne a 7.. :eek:

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the game was on this weekend I would think that To'omua, whilst being fit to play, might be rested as Querty suggests, but I'm hoping the extra week off will allow him to play.

He's pretty important to our chances on the weekend. The options are pretty poor after To'omua.
Beale - unlikely to be in the squad and I reckon he'd be a disaster starting against the All Blacks
Horne - was poor there on the weekend and only weakens our kicking options (which would be bad given how poorly we've kicked this year)
Lilo - probably the best option but is really yet to have a stand-out game at 12 this season.
Godwin - injured
McCabe - retired

Is Godwin injured?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^ But nearly all the Mummies, and plenty of Daddies, teachers, school principals, and coaches think headgear can prevent concussions.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Godwin - injured
McCabe - retired

I never thought I'd say it but looking at those options I reckon Bob's idea is better..but would still leave a big hole on the wing bar rushing Speight into the thick of it..

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
and I'd still like to see To'omua in headgear..it would look much more threatening than the incumbent afro. :mad:

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
As a lock I wore headgear most of my playing days. Primary purpose was to keep my ears attached to my head when packing scrums. Secondary purpose was to stop cuts to my scone. For some reason my scalp has always opened up really easily.

I did a brief stint without it early one season (just taped ears) because playing in QLD game day temps early on were oft around 30 deg and headgear is bloody hot to wear. Apart from my ears getting torn my head generally felt better after games without it. Whether I just didn't lead into rucks as hard with my scone because it felt less protected I don't know, but that was my experience.

TLDR: Headgear does nothing to protect the brain. Generally used to protect the outer head.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
we are fairly desperate for some good wingers and second rowers. i'll be happy for any good players to get selected. i really hope Speight can and does play. i will be gutted if he doesn't.

PS. i detest the expression "gutted".

Please, god! Wallabies need Speight!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Same Backrow Scrubber? I thought Higgers was ok. Good with ball in hand but one thing I noticed was that he had his head out of the scrum nearly the whole game. I tend to think he's still a better bench player. Palu or McCalman at 8 for me

If Palu is fit then he is the better impact player (when on his game) - Palu is one of the few blokes that when he plays well he can lift other players around him. Slipper is probably another. Hooper just doesn't seem to have the direct influence of Palu, in particular.

Higgers has a lot to answer for at scrumtime and should be told (as any other player) that they are an eighth part or 12.5% of an 8 man scrum and need to push

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They're at far more risk from a second knock soon after a concussion.

It's also possible that players can pass a concussion test but still suffer ongoing effects. That was the situation with Palu and why he was rested from the tour.

I thought three of them were over in Mendoza and McCardle, Horan and Kearns or whoever it was were in a studio in Sydney.

You may have gleaned that I asked because this sort of information is the type of thing it would be nice to know - maybe they said something while I was tuning out.
On the wider issue: that's why I don't fully understand allowing blokes deemed in need of a concussion test being allowed back on at all. i guess there has to be a line somewhere.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If Palu is fit then he is the better impact player (when on his game) - Palu is one of the few blokes that when he plays well he can lift other players around him. Slipper is probably another. Hooper just doesn't seem to have the direct influence of Palu, in particular.

Higgers has a lot to answer for at scrumtime and should be told (as any other player) that they are an eighth part or 12.5% of an 8 man scrum and need to push

When has Palu done this? Last time I re-call he had an impact like that at Test level was probably 2009 (i think) v Wales. That was some time ago. If we are going on Super XV form, well Higgers has done that too, last year his Rebels season was superb.

Lots or presumptions on Palu, yet I'm not convinced of him at Test level.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I confess to being in the headgear naivety group as I am not a doctor, have never worn headgear, and have never been diagnosed as concussed..in coaching the U9s and U11s I have never had to advise a kid to wear it because every single one of them does anyway! what will probably tell us more than than anything is if To'omua sports it next time he runs out..Palu won't tell us anything as he wears it anyway but I do know that Barnes never wore it until he got concussed and has worn it every game since..

Status
Not open for further replies.