• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
i didn't write that "superstars" didn't make good coaches.
i wrote that the "outrageously gifted" players didn't make it as coaches and that the best coaches seemed to be less gifted players who had to work very hard to make it as footballers including studying their game intensely and using their brains.

the three you mention fit my mold very well indeed.
yes, they were star players.
no, they weren't outrageously gifted as were, for comparison, James Hird, Michael Voss and Paul Gascoigne.
compare "your three" and "my three" as players and coaches and what do you see?

here's a few more.

Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley and James Hird.
Chris Scott, Alistair Clarkson, Bomber Thompson.
compare/contrast the player types and coaching success of those two groups.

why do rugby scrum halves, generally, not make it as coaches?
why is a rugby 5/8 succeeding as a coach very rare indeed?

Ohh I dunno about that mate. Lethal is the best Aussie rules player I've ever seen and Sheedy was an absolute star at Richmond in his day (his team mate, Mick Malthouse was your classic grafter and has had almost the same amount of success as a coach).

Again, the thrust of your argument about super talented players not making great coaches is correct. Greg Chappell as a cricket coach is another on the list that I can point to. He wasn't a great captain either, in comparison to his older brother (who I rate, along with Benaud, as the finest captain Australia has ever produced).

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wallabies to win by 3.
Darkness to lose two in a row, stunned.
Hooper to lead by example, Simmons to play the game of his life, Foley to play the puppetmaster, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to score three in his 100th!
GO THE WALLABIES

we have a winner.
optimist of the millennium.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think it will be the following

Israel Dagg
Charles Piutau
Conrad Smith
Malakai Fekitoa
Julian Savea
Aaron Cruden
Aaron Smith
Kieran Read
Richie McCaw (capt)
Jerome Kaino
Sam Whitelock
Brodie Retallick
Owen Franks
Dane Coles
Wyatt Crockett

Keven Mealamu
Joe Moody
Ben Franks
Steven Luatua
Sam Cane
TJ Perenara
Beauden Barrett
Ryan Crotty

I personally would have Messam start for Kaino and Crotty for Fekitoa.

That would be a top team as always. But I do remember Quade blitzing Cruden on a couple of occasions in the past. Hope to see it again on Saturday.

T

Tip

Yes 'twas. A terrible blight indeed!

We need to be careful, Train Without a Station is gonna wonder why we keep mentioning him. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor old Peter Stringer couldn't keep up!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Confirmed AB's side

1. Wyatt Crockett (32)
2. Dane Coles (23)
3. Owen Franks (63)
4. Brodie Retallick (32)
5. Samuel Whitelock (59)
6. Liam Messam (35)
7. Richie McCaw (captain) (133)
8. Kieran Read (68)
9. Aaron Smith (35)
10. Beauden Barrett (25)
11. Julian Savea (28)
12. Malakai Fekitoa (6)
13. Conrad Smith (82)
14. Cory Jane (51)
15. Israel Dagg (42)

Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu (119)
17. Ben Franks (37)
18. Charlie Faumuina (22)
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (3)
20. Sam Cane (19)
21. TJ Perenara (6)
22. Colin Slade (14)
23. Charles Piutau (10)

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Cruden must be well & truly in the shit with Shag & getting nervous about what happens if DC manages to get through his ITM Cup SF & (hopefully GF). I don't think he's even allowed to turn out for Manawatu in their SF this weekend as he hasn't played enough regular season games to be eligible so when he does eventually get back out there it'll have been quite a break. He IS eligible for NZ Maori, though, so that's an option if Shag really wants to prove a point without shit-canning the bloke altogether.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I reckon @Dismal Pillock's scratch side, the Pitcairn Polydactyls* could flog that AB lot.

* Google it

I did Google it and I was lucky enough to come accross some matchday photos. Pick which one is Dismal Pillock.

Working hard at the scrumbase.

eb99a1ab75382156052c71726e9087ef.jpg

Team shot, probably for the local Pitcairn newspaper.

EP-706039831.jpg

Quick run up the middle. Take note, Link

prom-dress-rugby.jpg

Enthusiastic crowd on the sideline. Can barely see any Beer - has the local Brewery, famous for it's Beer 'the pitcarin piss' gone on strike?

PromDressRugby-SolNeelman-4.jpg

Bit of running repairs on the kit. Girdles can be a tough thing to adjust, even for the most experienced of us rugby folk.

Rugby-12.jpg

Little bit cheeky here...

Rugby-13.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 182

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What's wrong with Kaino? Is he carrying an injury? He is one player that scares me when selected. Messam is fantastic but doesn't offer what Kaino does IMO. I assume that the Fekitoa is the back up 13 and either Slade or Barrett is the back up 12?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Could be asking a lot of Slade there. But then again he went alright at halfback last week!

ps would the poster 3 floors up **PLEASE REFRAIN** from posting photos of my family.

My wife forward slash mother is quite distressed here.

Thank you.

I'm sure he meant no offence. But just so the rest of us can respect your boundaries, which one is your wife/mother? The bearded Ranga in the blue dress?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kaino has played one decent test this year (vs England) and the rest have been very up and down. He looked sharp for the Blues when he came back from Japan, but other than that it hasn't been great in my view.

Messam played excellent vs the Boks and provided some real impact (the penalty aside).

This is our best tight 5 and I'm hoping for a big performance from Coles and Crockett.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Kaino has played one decent test this year (vs England) and the rest have been very up and down. He looked sharp for the Blues when he came back from Japan, but other than that it hasn't been great in my view.

Messam played excellent vs the Boks and provided some real impact (the penalty aside).

This is our best tight 5 and I'm hoping for a big performance from Coles and Crockett.

Ok, that's interesting to hear. I thought that Kaino was devastating in Bled 1 and that you guys lost a fair amount of 'go forward' and impact at the collision when he came off. Messam is still a freak though.

The locks and loosies are quality but with how our front row has been playing, I'm hoping that we can get some sort of advantage at set piece time. I really hope Kepu can work over Crockett as I see him as the weak link but not if he is allowed to get away with his usual tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.