• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

It is also interesting based on that article that Rob Simmons appears to be in favour over Kane Douglas.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I think he just needs to be shown the way by the likes of Rocky and Jim Williams. Spies was the same for his first year of test rugby.
If he is not ready then play Chapman or Mumm at 6 and Rocky at 8. We need another viable option at 8 when Palu is out and also reasonable back-up at 6.

Spiro Zavos wants him out wide ! Oh dear...
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-as-time-ticks-down-to-cup-20100706-zz2s.html
I'd also like to see Deans try to turn Reds breakaway Scott Higginbotham (109kg and 195cm) into a centre. Higginbotham has the size, pace and toughness to be the match-winning centre the Wallabies desperately need.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Zavos is a Kiwi infidel planted here to upset the Australian apple cart. If that isn't proof, then nothing will ever be.

Joe Blow

John Hipwell (52)
Spiro is obsessed with playing established players out of position. Higges in the centres is a ridiculous idea.
Although I still think he can be a hit in the backrow with a bit of work.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fainga'a family has another Wallaby on way
GREG GROWDEN CHIEF RUGBY CORRESPONDENT
July 7, 2010

Contender ... Anthony Fainga'a

QUEENSLAND centre Anthony Fainga'a is a strong contender to join his twin brother Saia in the Wallabies Test line-up in the early rounds of the Tri Nations tournament.

While the Fainga'a family may soon be celebrating Anthony's anticipated elevation, Wallabies Drew Mitchell, Mark Chisholm, Lachie Turner, Pek Cowan, Laurie Weeks and Dean Mumm are in danger of missing the 30-man Tri Nations squad, to be announced tomorrow.

Among those under serious consideration of being promoted from the Australian Barbarians squad are Fainga'a, Reds second-rower Rob Simmons, Brumbies back-rower Mitchell Chapman and Western Force utility forward Ben McCalman, while Queensland back-rower Scott Higginbotham is a strong possibility as he is only a week away from returning to club football following ankle concerns.

In the back line, coach Robbie Deans has shown interest in inside-centre Fainga'a, whom he watched playing club football in Brisbane before the Australia-Ireland Test at Suncorp Stadium last month. It is known the Australian selectors - Deans, Jim Williams and David Nucifora - are impressed with Fainga'a's solid defence and eagerness to play direct in attack. Rather than being a flashy centre, Fainga'a is a reliable midfielder who makes few mistakes.

If Matt Giteau's form remains erratic at No.12, the Wallabies back line could easily revert to the Reds' 9-10-12 combination of Will Genia, Quade Cooper and Fainga'a - a partnership that worked extremely well during the Super 14 tournament.

To bring in Fainga'a, a winger may have to be dropped from the squad, and Mitchell and Turner are under serious threat of missing out. Despite comments by ARU officials that Turner being added to the Australian Sevens squad in preparation for the Commonwealth Games would not hinder his Test chances, they don't help them either.

Mitchell could be saved due to lack of options, including Reds winger Rod Davies being unavailable, and uncertainty over when Digby Ioane will return during the Tri Nations from his shoulder injury.

Up front, the scrum will be bolstered by the return of loose-head prop Benn Robinson and hooker Stephen Moore from injury. Cowan is the most likely to make way for Robinson, while the impressive recent rise of 21-year-old Queensland prop James Slipper, who can play both sides, should see him picked ahead of Weeks.

Whether Huia Edmonds remains a back-up hooker will be determined by Tatafu Polota-Nau opting to have surgery on his troublesome ankle, or returning to the playing ranks via his club team Parramatta.

Australia's second-rowers against Ireland - Mumm and Chisholm - failed to impress, and this could convince the selectors to bring in 21-year-old lock Simmons. Mumm is the most likely to remain in the squad, as he is the more versatile player.

The greatest concern is in the back row, especially with the considerable lack of depth at No.8. The Wallabies are sorely missing the drive and power play from the injured Wycliff Palu, and Richard Brown now has no proper back-up, as Stephen Hoiles has undergone an Achilles heel operation which will sideline him for three months.

This has prompted recent ARU enquiries to Queensland officials over Higginbotham's fitness, after he hurt his ankle in the final round of the Super 14. Higginbotham, at 109kg and 195cm, is the type of bulky forward the Wallabies desperately need. He is also threatening and fast.

Higginbotham is scheduled to return to full training next week. That may be enough to convince the selectors to include him.

Other key Wallabies forwards unavailable for the Tri Nations are second-rower James Horwill and prop Ben Alexander.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Higginbotham is more of a support player at the moment than a creator of space and drive. He is always the first in support of the Red's line or half line breaks, but he hardly ever would make that space for himself. I actually think that Elsom and Higginbotham are pretty similar and should probably not be in the same team, but it is worth a try.

It is ridiculous to think that they could start Simmons after not giving him a run in the June tests. Happy to see him on the bench, but not starting.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wow, Gitts to wing was never going to happen but at least it made some sense. Higgers to center is ludicrous.

What MIGHT (and I stress might) be a good idea is maybe running a few short lineouts to get Higgers running as a 12 or 13 on occasion. Either way is Higgs plays 3Ns I can picture him doing what Brown did last year and misusing his passion and getting penalised off the park.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I bit harsh, he may be fragile but whenever he gets on the field he is just a great player. Last year he played 8 S14 games and came away with 7 tries. Not a bad strike rate. Long kick, kicks goals, fast, elusive and smart - not a bad combination to have in the squad

I am well aware of his ability and reputation. He kinda reminds me of Ireland's Kearney. Just worried he is underdone - although I guess training with the Wallabies can't hurt - he has played 1 test match in 3 years almost.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm confused with people calling Higginbotham a seagul? Aren't most backrowers seaguls? They are forwards who are too big and slow to be backs, but not tall enough or fat enough to be 2nd rowers and props. You want your backrowers (especially number 8) to make you some metres, so position one out wide against some backs will, more often than not, get you across the advantage line. The backrow are often linking players as well, so if they are running in support of their backs this is a good thing. They also have to own the break down and that's why backrow is probably the most physically demanding position to play on the rugby field.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
(especially number 8)

Heh. Accidental smiley.

From my understanding they shouldn't be too wide and be looking for the inside channel. Isn't seagulling when you are near the wings?
I've got no trouble giving him a shot because he can't be any worse than Brown and at the moment we need to test out our options. The Wallabies need to find more forwards.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
My wallaby 22 (taking into account injuries) would be:

15. Shepherd (won't set the world alight but is always solid)
14. Ioane
13. Horne
12. O'Connor (how come Robbie wont play him at 12 for the wobs? he suits his 2nd 5/8 style well and he is a good defender)
11. Mitchel
10. Cooper
9. Burgess
8. Brown
7. Elsom (why must we always play our fetcher at 7? imagine rocks impact hitting that first ruck off the scrum V pocock. this would also free pocock to attack the 2nd phase ball which he can more realistically win.)
6. Pocock
5. Sharpe
4. Mumm (no other blooded options, perhaps with using the bench efficiently this will change over time)
3. Slipper
2. Moore
1. Robinson

16. Fainga'a
17. Baxter (there is simply no other choice)
18. Simmons (with some gametime he could be good by the 11 WC, and many beyond that)
19. Hodgson (covers all 3 back row positions and is good, use him coming on as a chance to move Elsom to 8 and see if it works)
20. Gitts (covers 9-12)
21. Fainga'a (use his substitution to test how a 2 center combo works rather than a 2 5/8, it may pay off)
22. Hynes (covers 13 up)

I would also like to see Barnes tried at 15. However, this isn't the kind of thing you try in the 3Ns.
My reason for this is he defends like a beast and if given space can attack, these are what I look for in a fullback. He just isn't the 10 or 12 a team like the Wobs need, when he panics he kicks. Also, having a 2nd playmaker (in theory) at 15 would allow Robbie to play A.Fainga'a with the confidence that he STILL has a 2nd pivot on the field.

Just some thoughts.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Heh. Accidental smiley.

From my understanding they shouldn't be too wide and be looking for the inside channel. Isn't seagulling when you are near the wings?
I've got no trouble giving him a shot because he can't be any worse than Brown and at the moment we need to test out our options. The Wallabies need to find more forwards.

I think people need to understand professional players don't just "Seagull", it would be part of the plan.

How many line-breaks as an extra man down the wing has Elsom accomplished in the last year or two, it's not mere coincidence.

Whether it is good or not is debatable but it isn't the player being lazy or going maverick.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I haven't been impressed with Elsom's performances since returning to OZ. Seems to have lost that running game that he really turned up the heat on in Europe. One problem (at least at the Brumbies and now in the Wallabies) is that he has had to do alot of tight work which IMO isn't his natural game. This is in large part to deficiencies in the Tight 5 particularly underperforming locks.

Mumm needs to hit more rucks like he actually means it. Sharpe is a "lost cause" and has been for a few years in terms of trying to tighten his game up. All well and good to have a looser playing lock, but he still doesn't recognise when to fan out and when to stay in the trenches in my view. Too much fanning out and that has resulted in way too much slow/sloppy ball and puts halfbacksunder way to much pressure.

Ma'afu is a "leaner" when it comes to the breakdown. Good with ball in hand from a standing position, but for the Brumbies he leaned on way to many rucks for my liking. Daly and Slipper are eager, and whilst they lack experience I think there is good skills there when it comes to general play. The dark arts will take time, alot more time.

If the wallabies want Elsom to thrive, the tight 5 really need to up the ante. It is in Sharpe to play a stormer of a tight mans game. We just haven't seen it for some time. I'm really not sure it's in Mumm's psyche. If he were carting the ball up and bashing guys backwards then a coach might be tempted to shift him to blindside, but he's not doing that.

This is left field but Will Caldwell seems one of the few OZ locks (albeit undersized somewhat) that has mongrel that could "do a job".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Elsom seems to have changed his approach since the Tahs, he was a reasonably direct 6 with a solid work rate and a bit of a penalty machine.

He now plays smarter and safer looking to affect the big plays.

I preferred him working harder attacking the ball.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
12. O'Connor (how come Robbie wont play him at 12 for the wobs? he suits his 2nd 5/8 style well and he is a good defender)
11. Mitchel
10. Cooper

Wow en force er - how many tries do you want the Boks to score?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good with ball in hand from a standing position

This I don't understand, we have another code in Aus (RL) that everyone sees where players hit the ball at pace trying to bend the line.

Everyone except the Boks seems to take the ball from stationary positions, waddle three steps and dive to the ground - crazy

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
en force er, if you want Pocock to have a bigger impact being second man to the breakdown, blindside isn't the place to put him. He would be better off going to 8 ala Phil Waugh.

But, having said that, the tactic isn't exactly tried and tested. What about using a left/right flanker system?

Status
Not open for further replies.