• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

His fitness has nothing to do with it, it's his ability to step up and play consistently which are the question

and reports indicate he had a cracker?

I think he got sent off actually, Deans was also out watching A.Fainga'a

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Deans seems to be everywhere

Deans eyes Shepherd for Tri-Nations return

* Bret Harris
* July 05, 2010 12:00AM

FORMER Wallabies fullback Cameron Shepherd is being considered for a recall to the national squad for the upcoming Tri- Nations series.

Shepherd was Test coach Robbie Deans's first-choice fullback when Australia beat Ireland in Melbourne in 2008, but a succession of injuries has kept him out since then.

However, Deans attended Sydney club Northern Suburbs' match with West Harbour at North Sydney Oval on Saturday afternoon to watch Shepherd play.

Deans was also interested in watching West Harbour's former Wallabies prop Rodney Blake, who has returned from a stint with French club Biarritz.

Playing at fullback, Shepherd scored two tries in an outstanding performance in Norths' 37-24 win.

Deans will now have to decide whether Shepherd's form warranted his inclusion in the 30-man Tri-Nations squad, which will be announced on Thursday. The Wallabies have a need for some bigger backs and the 189cm and 104kg Shepherd could fit the bill.

Deans contacted Shepherd last week to find out whether he was playing for Norths.

Shepherd was one of 16 Western Force players booked on the "red-eye" flight from Perth to Sydney at midnight following the Super rugby team's awards dinner last Friday night and was originally selected to sit on the reserves' bench for Norths.

After speaking to Deans, Shepherd received permission from the Force to miss the awards dinner and flew out at lunchtime on Friday so he would be fresh for the game.

Shepherd also asked Norths coach Graham O'Donnell to start him so he would have more opportunity to impress Deans.

"Shep played really well," O'Donnell said. "We took him off with 15 minutes to go because he had flown over to Perth and back and his legs were a bit weary.

"But he was outstanding. We gave him licence at the back and he stepped up. He kicked and defended well. It was just a good all-round game."

Shepherd, who is being chased by the Melbourne Rebels, only played four of the Force's last five games this season after sustaining a quadriceps injury in the warm-up before the opening match of the season against the Brumbies in Perth.

But Deans may include the strapping fullback in the Wallabies squad.

Shepherd can also play on the wing and kick goals, particularly from long range.

NSW Waratahs wingers Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner are not guaranteed to retain their spots in the 30-man squad following the in-bound Tests against England and Ireland.

Mitchell played poorly in the Wallabies' 21-20 loss to England in Sydney and 22-15 win against Ireland in Brisbane. However, he performed brilliantly in Randwick's 35-24 win against Sydney University at Coogee Oval on Saturday afternoon.

Turner did not play in the Tests and has joined the Australian sevens squad to prepare for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in October, indicating he will not figure in the Tri-Nations.

The selection of Shepherd on the wing for the Wallabies would allow Deans to keep James O'Connor at fullback and move Adam Ashley-Cooper from the wing to the midfield.

The ARU's investigation into the behaviour of Wallabies fullback Kurtley Beale is expected to be concluded in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Beale faces a fine of up to $10,000 for allegedly urinating in a Brisbane street after the Wallabies' win against Ireland.

It is unlikely the misconduct would preclude Beale's selection in the Wallabies squad for the Tri-Nations.

G

GC

An injury free Shep would be a great addition to the Wobs backline. What are the chances of that though?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Houston is a truly talented rugby player but has commitment issues and fitness issues. If he can get on top of those he will be a very good Wallaby.
Higgenbotham is a freak in the mould of Pierre Spies. Big and fast with good hands and a knack of being in the right place at the right time.
He also has a very good understanding with Genia. Dick Brown has no idea where Genia is going and rarely seems to run off him.
I would take a punt on Higgenbotham as he can only be better than Brown now and get much better than Brown quickly.
Also if Genia and Cooper can put him into space he can do some real damage as a link man.
I was watching some Reds 2010 footage earlier today and Higgenbotham has the potential to be very special. He needs to toughen up and learn how to throw around his bulk, but that will come in time as it did for Spies.

T

TOCC

i actually think Higginbotham has quite quite average hands and a lack of understanding of what he is supposed to be doing.

Physically he is very talented, but from what i witnessed in the Reds match he still has a bit to learn about whats required from him.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Ahh goodonya Beale, time to sign an NRL contract.

I'm also amused Shepherd is being considered, especially since he has done nothing for 2 years.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I'm also amused Shepherd is being considered, especially since he has done nothing for 2 years.

I bit harsh, he may be fragile but whenever he gets on the field he is just a great player. Last year he played 8 S14 games and came away with 7 tries. Not a bad strike rate. Long kick, kicks goals, fast, elusive and smart - not a bad combination to have in the squad

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Shepherd when fit is one of the best if not the best FB in Oz. His issue is his fragility.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I bit harsh, he may be fragile but whenever he gets on the field he is just a great player. Last year he played 8 S14 games and came away with 7 tries. Not a bad strike rate. Long kick, kicks goals, fast, elusive and smart - not a bad combination to have in the squad

Got nothing to do with his rugby but it is time the young man grew up.

T

tranquility

Shep would be a great addition. He is an absolute freak on the wing or at the back when he is fit and he would also be the biggest back in the squad. +1 from me

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great news on Shep if he can stay fit. Would love to be able to sort 15 out give some other options with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't think he'd be best used on the wing though - not as quick as a few seasons ago.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What does that mean?

It means he needs to start thinking about the consequesnces of his actions. He only just got done with a batch of strife with his court hearing and now he has put himself back in the line of fire. It is not wise on his part.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How big is Beale? He is looking very big and strong, and is running very well into contact. In terms of size, I think he fits the bill.

Obviously his decision making (if in doubt, don't kick) and defence, not to mention bladder control, could all improve, but when he is on he is a great attacking threat.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Higgenbotham is a freak in the mould of Pierre Spies. Big and fast with good hands and a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Higgenbotham, whilst talented, is a finesse player and a seagull. That is not what we need from the 6 or 8 position. He has a very long way to go.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Higgenbotham, whilst talented, is a finesse player and a seagull. That is not what we need from the 6 or 8 position. He has a very long way to go.

I think he just needs to be shown the way by the likes of Rocky and Jim Williams. Spies was the same for his first year of test rugby.
If he is not ready then play Chapman or Mumm at 6 and Rocky at 8. We need another viable option at 8 when Palu is out and also reasonable back-up at 6.

T

tranquility

I think a backline that looks like this would go alright in the first tri nations match.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. A. Finger
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Hynes
15. Shep

I really rate Horne, but I think he still needs time to develop into the dominant 13 that Australian rugby is so reliant upon. I believe in time he will be that player. I really like the idea of A. Finger at 12 because of the way he straightens the line of attack and that fact that he is the best one-on-one defensive back in Oz rugby. The rest of the positions are pretty self explanatory. Shep has a massive boot, very strong in contact, runs great lines. Hynes is safe as house, and plays wide and can score a meat pie.

As much as I rate Hynes he is probably the player on the shakiest grounds but he is the safest of the mob of potential wingers and just as likely as any to score points.

C

chief

More indications this week saying a lot more players could be dropped. Deans will probably drop Gits I think.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Daley
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. Rob Simmons
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
8. Hodgson
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. A Fainga'a
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Hynes
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

I think that will be the line-up that Deans takes into battle the Sprinboks. You know what thats a damn good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.