• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well during class today I decided to come up with a 26 man squad with 6 extra players in case of injury (they are in brackets)

so the #1 Tah coached wallabies would look like (in order of selection)

Props: Benn Robinson, Ben Daley, Salesi Maafu, James Slipper (Al Baxter)
Hookers: Steven Moore, Saia Fainga'a, Huia Edmonds (Damien Fitzpatrick)
Second row: Nathan Sharpe, Dean Mumm, Kane Douglas (Mark Chisolm)
Back Row:Rocky Elsom, David Pockock, Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown (Pat McCutcheon)
Scrummies: Luke Burgess, Will Genia (Josh Valentine)
Inside Backs: Quade Cooper*, Matt Giteau, Berrick Barnes (Daniel Halangahu)
Outside Backs: Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O'Conner, Kurtley Beale, Drew Mitchell, Digby Ioane

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
We need a injury report in here, too.

Someone want to have a go compiling expected return dates for some of these guys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
wow, so how does this impact his Tri-Nations selection chances? Does it?

Test winger Lachie Turner will join the Australian Rugby Sevens squad in camp on Sunday as preparations get underway for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in October.

Coach Michael O’Connor has selected a 14-man training squad which will assemble at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra from 4-7 July and has bolstered his side with the inclusion of Qantas Wallabies winger Turner and also 2009 Spring Tourist Luke Morahan.

Fullback Morahan has just returned home from the IRB Junior World Championships in Argentina where Australia recorded their best-ever result at the tournament to finish runners-up to New Zealand.

Flanker Liam Gill, lock Ed Quirk and centre Kimami Sitauti were also standout performers in the Australian U20s team.

Sevens captain Patrick McCutcheon returns to the squad after missing the final two legs of the IRB Sevens World Series through Super 14 duty with the NSW Waratahs.

The 23-year-old flanker has been involved with the national squad for the past month alongside Turner, playing two mid-week games for the Australian Barbarians against England.

Australia enjoyed a supreme run at the back end of their IRB Sevens series to finish third overall after claiming their first title since 2002 in London in May and made the final at the Edinburgh tournament a week later.

O’Connor’s side have the chance to make history at the Delhi Games on 11-12 October.

Australia won the bronze medal in 1988 when Rugby Sevens was first granted entry in Kuala Lumpur but did not make the medal dais in 2002 or 2006.

Rugby Sevens returns to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

Australian Rugby Sevens training squad: Bernard Foley, Liam Gill, Brackin Karauria-Henry, Patrick McCutcheon, Luke Morahan, Nicholas Phipps, Edward Quirk, Brian Sefanaia, Clinton Sills, Kimami Sitauti, James Stannard, Jacob Taylor, Lachie Turner, Daniel Yakapo

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ive considered Byrnes a option as well, he is also one of the biggest locks in Australia..

However, you just have to wonder about those yellow cards and penalties he attracts, is he really test match material? If he could channel his agression into cleaning out at the rucks rather then other stupid niggle, then i would be more then happy for him to wear the green and gold.

Responsibility can knock off a few edges. I remember Kev Horwill being a bit of a cheap shot / penalty magnet before becoming Capt of QLD. If anything I'd like more of his old mongrel back now

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Australian Rugby Sevens training squad: Bernard Foley, Liam Gill, Brackin Karauria-Henry, Patrick McCutcheon, Luke Morahan, Nicholas Phipps, Edward Quirk, Brian Sefanaia, Clinton Sills, Kimami Sitauti, James Stannard, Jacob Taylor, Lachie Turner, Daniel Yakapo

No Henry Vanderglas? For me, he was the stand out in the Aussie Sevens' win in London with his kick off returns, notwithstanding Stannard's heroics...

Reactions: DPK
T

TOCC

not that he was likely to be selected anyway, but Van Humphries has had ankle surgery and out for a couple of months

D

David

Well during class today I decided to come up with a 26 man squad with 6 extra players in case of injury (they are in brackets)

so the #1 Tah coached wallabies would look like (in order of selection)

Props: Benn Robinson, Ben Daley, Salesi Maafu, James Slipper (Al Baxter)
Hookers: Steven Moore, Saia Fainga'a, Huia Edmonds (Damien Fitzpatrick)
Second row: Nathan Sharpe, Dean Mumm, Kane Douglas (Mark Chisolm)
Back Row:Rocky Elsom, David Pockock, Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown (Pat McCutcheon)
Scrummies: Luke Burgess, Will Genia (Josh Valentine)
Inside Backs: Quade Cooper*, Matt Giteau, Berrick Barnes (Daniel Halangahu)
Outside Backs: Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O'Conner, Kurtley Beale, Drew Mitchell, Digby Ioane

What no Peter Hynes and I would almost be inclined to include Chambers in brackets because at the moment our centers are completely lacking go forward in attack and dominant, hard tackles in defence. I am pretty sure that Turner rates below Hynes ATM considering he has just been sent to play Sevens up until and including the commonwealth games in October.

T

TOCC

Chambers is out injured for the season....
Rodney Davies has torn his hamstring again last week

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
My Tri-Nations Squad:

P: Robinson; Alexander*; Daley; Baxter; (Slipper)
HK: TPN; Moore; Faainga
Super Rugby: Sharpe; Mumm; Chisholm; Douglas
FL/N8: Pocock; Elsom; Hodgson; Brown; Waugh
SH: Genia; Burgess
10/12: Cooper*; Giteau; Barnes; (Toouma)
13: Horne
W: Ioane; Mitchell; Turner
FB: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper); O'Connor; Beale

Australia has enough quality young players without having to force the issue - I think that the inclusion of Waugh and Baxter is vital to providing the grunt and experiance that Australia needs. Baxter destroyed Tialata in the last round and it is shocking that he is being overlooked.

D

David

Chambers is out injured for the season....
Rodney Davies has torn his hamstring again last week

Ouch, I hope Davies doesn't become one of those "could have been's" because of repeating hamstring injuries.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting that Turner looks to be not included for the Tri-Nations. Does this mean Mitchell keeps his spot? Probably.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any word on Horne's injury? And Chambers?

Maybe we should put together a list of who is not available due to injury (those unlikely to be picked anyway in brackets) to help those who like to select their own squad:
Alexander, TPN (likely), Horwill, Palu, (Baxter, Humphries, Davies)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
My tri-nations squad, in order of preference:

LH Prop: Robinson, Daley
TH Prop: Baxter (don't rate him particularly highly, but he is the only option), Slipper (covering LH), Maafu
Hooker: Moore, Fainga'a
Second row: Sharpe, Mumm, Chisolm, Douglas
Blind Flank: Elsom (covered by Mumm/Hodgo, depending on what you want)
Open Flank: Pockock, Hodgson
Number 8: Brown (covered by Rock)
Scrumhalf: Genia, Burgess (his form pleasantly surprised me)
Flyhalf: Quade Cooper, Berrick Barnes
Inside: Giteau (covered by Barnes/JO'C or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in a pinch)
Outside: Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (covering everything 12-15, would start on the wing)
Wings: Ioane, Mitchell, Hynes, Turner
Fullbacks: O'Connor, Beale

Shadow squad (they would train with the Wobs whenever they train in the city they are based, mostly Sydney but Brisbane for some):
Fairbrother (LH), Dunning (TH), Edmonds (Hooker), Chapman (Lock), Schatz (Blind Flank/No.8), McCutcheon (Open Flank), Houston (No.8), Valentine (halfback), To’omua (5/8), Halangahu (Utility Back), Cross (Inside/Outside), Morahan (Wing), Huxley (Fullback).

Bar Baxter I think it's reasonably realistic. But I'm not 100% sure how the Comm Games 7s will impact the 3Ns so I might be wrong.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My 3N team in order of preference by position
1. Robinson, Daley
2. Moore, Fainga'a, Fitzpatrick
3. Ma'afu (only because Moore and Fatcat will hopefully help him out), Baxter, Kepu
4. Sharpe, Douglas
5. Mumm, Simmons, Wykes
6. Higginbum, Hodgeson, McCutcheon, Dennis
7. Pocock, Hodgeson
8. Elsom, Hodgeson, Houston
9. Genia, Burgess, Sheehan
10. Cooper, Barnes
11. Mitchell, Hynes
12. Giteau, Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hynes, Turner
14. Turner, McCabe
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale

S

SportsTragic

My tri-nations squad of 30 *** Warning: May contain Waratah bias ***

1-Robinson, 2-Moore, 3-Fairbrother, 4-Douglas, 5-Sharpe, 6-Elsom(C), 7-Pocock, 8-Higginbotham, 9-Genia(VC), 10-Cooper, 11-Ioane, 12-A.Faainga, 13-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14-Turner, 15-Hynes, 16-TPN(if fit)/S.Faainga, 17-Slipper, 18-Simmons, 19-Hodgson, 20-Mowen, 21-Giteau, 22-Cross, 23-Daley, 24-S.Faainga/Edmonds, 25-Kepu, 26-Chapman, 27-Burgess, 28-Barnes, 29-Carter, 30-Beale/Mitchell/O'Connor

Not in due to injury: Alexander, Baxter, Horwell, Van Humphries, Kimlin, Palu, Chambers, Mortlock, Horne (needs to get his hammy sorted), Davies.

Ma'afu's been unimpressive & Fairbrother had a good super 14 - they're also similar age, pro rugby experiences, etc. Kepu as TH cover - can also play LH.

Need to find some big, mobile locks/loosies to cover for Palu & Horwell so Douglas, Higgers, Simmons, Mowen & Chapman get a go - Mumm, Brown & Chisholm have had enough chances & haven't measured up.

Giteau's been too inconsistent over last 12-18 months but stays in 22 to cover Cooper & HB (if needed)

Backline attack & defense mostly hasn't worked so give fit Reds backs that performed so well as a unit in attack AND defence a go. Cooper likes hard straight runners so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets 13 jumper, with Cross & Carter as injury cover for him & A.Faainga. No more than one weak defender can be covered in backline (Cooper) so only one of Beale/Mitchell/O'Connor make the squad.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What attributes are they? the guy is a solid lock with a good workrate but he won't match the physicality of the opps over the next few games

We only have what we have FP, and Van is top of the list outside of the injured James Horwill.
He will not take a backward step and although he has not been capped he has a truckload of experience.
He was the unsung hero in the Reds 2010 season after Horwill was injured.
I know Deans will not pick him because of his age but he has earned a chance through his S14 form.
Why haven't the selectors given Douglas and Simmons an extended run at Baa Baa level?
The second row is an area of concern for the Wabs and Van Humphries could fix it on many levels

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
My Squad (In order of selection):

1. Benn Robinson, Ben Daly
2. Stephen Moore, Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper, Salesi Ma'afu
4. Nathan Sharpe, Rob Symmons
5. Mark Chisolm, Kane Douglas
6. Scott Higginbotham, Dean Mumm
7. David Pocock, Matt Hodgson
8. Rocky Elsom, Richard Brown
9. Will Genia, Luke Burgess
10. Quade Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Mat Tomua
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau, Anthony Fiaanga
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Rob Horne
14. Peter Hynes, Drew Mitchell, Lachie Turner
15. JOC (James O'Connor), Kurtly Beale

Assuming thats the starting team I'd have on the bench:

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Ben Daly
18. Dean Mumm
19. No Idea
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Rob Horne/Anthony Fainga'a

I think the deans needs to opt for a bigger pack in order to shure up the set peice. Chisolm has the size but needs to step up and do more, otherwise get Mumm or Douglas in there, but i dont think Mumm has enough of an impact at test level. I think Higginbothom should get his chance, he played great rugby for the reds this year and is deceptivly quick. I rate him over Brown and Hodgson.

Dont think Hornes ready for test rugby yet, maybe in a year or two. The backline needs to get deaper and wider and run it more. Kafe did a good segment on this weeks rugby club about it. A.Fainga'a provides a solid running and defensive option at inside centre, but i still rate Gits over him. Diggers on one wing, other wing spot is up for grabs and each winger has there own strong points: Hynes for the lines he runs, turner for speed, Mitchell for the ruthless haircuts.

Is everybody happy with Rocky as captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.