• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Backline for the world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
That would depend on which team you are playing. Against the ABs I would stick with the players who did the job tonight - bring JOC (James O'Connor) onto the bench in place of Horne.

Against the big boppers of England or South Africa I would have JOC (James O'Connor) or Mitchell on the wing, probably for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench.

Against the Irish I would have Horne in the centres for Finger (think he would be a better counter for BOD) with JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell on one wing. Bench of Burgo, Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Against the All Blacks I would play the strong defending midfield. Against anyone else I would drop McCabe and have JOC (James O'Connor) or Mitchell slot in.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That would depend on which team you are playing. Against the ABs I would stick with the players who did the job tonight - bring JOC (James O'Connor) onto the bench in place of Horne.

Against the big boppers of England or South Africa I would have JOC (James O'Connor) or Mitchell on the wing, probably for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench.

Against the Irish I would have Horne in the centres for Finger (think he would be a better counter for BOD) with JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell on one wing. Bench of Burgo, Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell.

Not sure if chopping and changing is the best policy during the rwc. On the basis that defense wins world cups:

9 genia
10 Cooper
11 ioane
12 McCabe
13 fa'ainga
14 mitchell (if he proves fitness)
15 JOC (James O'Connor)

21 burgess
22 Beale

Harsh on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but one game does not a season make. He would be in the 22 if Mitchell couldn't play 80.

Beale dropped because we can only afford one flake in the starting line up and at the moment that flake is our 10 and critical to our whole style of play.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
9-Genia
10-Cooper
11-Ioane
12-McCabe
13-Fainga'a
14-Mitchell
15-Beale

Bench: Burgess, O'connor, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I've said it on another thread, Mitchell is a better winger then JOC (James O'Connor) and Deans won't play him in the centers. Also AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) played pretty decent tonight, so he deserves a bench spot over Barnes/Horne

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Horses for courses, but think the centre pairing tonight lacked a lot of penetration in attack and were outplayed by their opposites. It should be one or the other, not both.

Best wingers are Mitchell and Digby. Genia, Cooper and Beale are obvious choices (for the sane that is). Like the idea of JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 against big bopper opposition, with McCabe / Ant at 12 against the Kiwis and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 if he continues to play like this (else Horne).

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Mitchell
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Ioane
15. Beale

McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) make a balanced midfield, with good defensive and attacking attributes (tackle rate/success, speed, vision, consistency etc.). Ioane and Mitchell are the best two wingers in Australia, if not the world. O'Connor to the bench. If I were going to replace anyone it would be McCabe for Barnes.

S

Skippy

Quade will get suspended.

Backline for pool games -

Genia - with Burgess of the bench
Barnes at 10

Wingers - Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor) with Mitchell getting time off the bench in some of the games
Centres - Deans will continue with McCabe at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13... and continue to use Horne off the bench with Fainga'a. Horne and Fainga'a will start againt USA.

Fullback - Beale

Assuming Quade is suspended, Barnes will fill the gap at 10 which will affect Deans plans to move him into 12 now. The knock on affect of Quade's suspension is Barnes won't get the chance to impress at 12, McCabe will hold his spot at 12 and Barnes will be on the bench as cover for the knock out games.

Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Fainga'a are all competing for 13 and 13 only. Whoever gets picked for Russia (the last pool game) will be the one Deans wants in the knockout rounds.

JOC (James O'Connor) will get back in potentially via the bench with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) continuing on the wing - Barnes to be goal kicker.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
With Barnes likely to come in for QC (Quade Cooper), I reckon young O'Bieber could be in for an extended stay on the pine. If he's not going to be kicking, I wouldn't be changing the backline from what it is currently. Pretty sure QC (Quade Cooper) will get a few weeks/games.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
9. Genia (for obvious reasons - was a bit surprised really that he was not made Wobs captain, given he is a certainty to be picked if fit)
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Ioane
12. Barnes (he is like ritalin for the ADHD kid wearing 10)
13. Fainga'a
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

BENCH: Burgess, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

McCabe is really hard done by here, as I think he has played well, but I think he may also be at the top of his game. I think Barnes provides that sensibility that is sometimes lacking in the Wobs backline.
JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench - I don't think goalkicking is enough to get him back to start - given the QC (Quade Cooper) kicked pretty well last night, KB (Kurtley Beale) can kick the cover off the ball from distance, and BB is a quality goalkicker as well.

F

fatherted

assuming quade escapes sanction and drew is fully fit

9.genia
10.cooper
11.mitchell
12.barnes
13.Fainga'a
14.ioane
15.beale

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) having a blinder and Shmoo and Barnes back from injury, I think a bench spot for JOC (James O'Connor) at best.

Now here's a thought, not 2 weeks ago most (me included) would have assumed JOC (James O'Connor) is a certain first XV player but now not so after the performance of the starters tonight and we see him fighting for a spot. So if Quade gets suspended for 2 or 3 weeks and Barnes has a couple of blinders at 10 v Italy and Ireland, maybe Quade won't be so much of a surety. He is world class, don't get me wrong, but I for one am getting a bit jumpy with his repeated low percentage plays and total lack of tackling ability. Going into the WC is certainly not a time to mess with key positions so I expect that he will be there for the big games so maybe 2 or 3 weeks rest will be the best thing for him after such a long season.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Cooper is suspended the better balance may be to bring JOC (James O'Connor) into 10 with barnes at 12.

9 genia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 ioane
12 barnes
13 McCabe or fa'ainga
14 Mitchell
15 Beale

A lot of changes though.

I am surprised at how many people think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is now an automatic selection at 13 despite this likely being his only really good game for the year and it was on the wing! Surely he needs to prove more at 13 before being an automatic selection there?

H

high tower

genia
cooper
ionae
mccabe
Fainga'a
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
beale

burgess
horne

Genia, Cooper, Beale and Ionae for the flair and the scare the rest for the smash em and bash em- defending and on attack.
If you lost Finger, McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) while they were smashing the opposition you would want Horne to repeat the dose.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Isn't it fantastic that we are talking about Anthony Fa'ainga as our starting 13 at the World Cup? I think it is. Great story.

I remember a thread earlier in the year questioning why Fa'ainga is so popular when Tom Carter is just as good.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Also I think JOC (James O'Connor) is perfect for the bench - he covers 10, 12, 14 and 15 and can kick.

Barnes, Horne, McCabe and Fa'ainga and maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be fighting it out in the centres and that is a great thing. I think Shmoo is a must - he is the best finisher in Australian rugby and has been for most of his career, I would love to see him start in a World Cup having been one of the standouts at the last World Cup playing from the bench.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Also, I know this is typical for me to say this, but finally Deans makes use of the QLD Reds factor with his selections (having won the Super Rugby competition and all...) and we win the freaking Tri-Nations. Took him the entire series to make the right decisions. eg. Samo, Fa'ingaa, Horwill captain

Status
Not open for further replies.