• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Backline for the world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Zero change. Possibly Mitchell in for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a great game on the wing last night. If QC (Quade Cooper) is suspended, Barnes in for QC (Quade Cooper).

While McCabe and Fainga'a didn't look extraordinary last night, it needs to be remembered what they brought to the team. Balance. We've consistently lacked balance with too many similar players. We finally had that in the XV last night. Some players are there to create plays, some are there to do a job. Robbie constantly seems to forget this.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Zero change. Possibly Mitchell in for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a great game on the wing last night. If QC (Quade Cooper) is suspended, Barnes in for QC (Quade Cooper).

While McCabe and Fainga'a didn't look extraordinary last night, it needs to be remembered what they brought to the team. Balance. We've consistently lacked balance with too many similar players. We finally had that in the XV last night. Some players are there to create plays, some are there to do a job. Robbie constantly seems to forget this.

Ashley-Cooper to outside for Fainga'a. He showed last night that he can play the nitty gritty, grinding defensive game but he also adds a battering, slicing attacking edge. That way Mitchell and Ioane can both start.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm going to have to disagree with you there Swarley. I don't think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 is an option as he has been out of form there all year and he's only good performance has been on the wing. It should be either him or Mitchell. Based on last night it should be him. Mitchell is coming back from injury, but if both wing spots are wrapped up based on good performances then he should be unluckily missing out until somebody falters.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Agreed I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to 13 is a bad move. Ant or Horne for me. Ant is the incumbent as far as I am concerned. McCabe is the one who should be looking over his shoulder.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty's dropping of Beale extends across many threads over a long period of time. We can take it as a given.

Define 'a long period of time'? And if you have any proof that I have been calling for him to be dropped over a long period of time please produce, otherwise don't invent slurs.

It was just an option to get our no. 1 kicker back in the starting lineup, as I don't believe we can win the rwc with cooper as our kicker.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Ashley-Cooper to outside for Fainga'a. He showed last night that he can play the nitty gritty, grinding defensive game but he also adds a battering, slicing defensive edge.

Wow, I feel like I just purchased an overly defensive food processor.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
McCabe is the one who should be looking over his shoulder.

Agreed, considering the form of the players around him I think he's bound to lose that 12 jersey soon. All depends on Deans' game plan but I would be happy with either of these:

9. Genia, 10. Cooper, 11 Ioane, 12 Barnes, 13. Fainga'a, 14. Ashley-Cooper/Mitchell, 15. Beale
or
9. Genia, 10. Cooper, 11. Ioane, 12. Fainga'a, 13. Ashley-Cooper/Horne, 14. Mitchell/O'Connor, 15. Beale

McCabe has been sufficient for us in these build up matches and I wouldn't mind him in our game day 22, but for me he shouldn't be starting whilst we have so many in-form players who can play his position.

J

JJ

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Faaingaa
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

21. Burgess
22. O'Connor \ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Ioane & Mitchell will start on the Wing's... JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be fighting for the 22 jersey due to their versatility.

H

H...

It seems as if people are desperately trying to manufacture ways to insert O'Connor and or Mitchell into the side.

I personally don't think either of them are so amazing that they should replace players that played in our best performance for some time.

McCabe has been very solid. He's certiainly a better 12 at elite level than Berrick Barnes, who plays best from the bench.

If I had my way I would play the same run on side as last night, with Burgess and and Barnes on the bench. Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) would have to wait until things don't work or someone is injured.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I would be most interested who we would put up against England. I reckon they're the danger backline especially with Tuilagi - will cause some headaches and we'll want some starch in mid field. Last nights b line would be it.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Assuming QC (Quade Cooper) is suspended I would look at Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) for 10. Barnes would bring a total change of gameplan which I think would harm the Wallabies.
NZ had the same issue with Spencer and Mertens years ago. So, to maintain a semblence of continuity (for better or for worse), you need a mercurial player like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale. Giteau also is mercurial but he's not a 10.

Mitchell picks himself when at 100% speed and fitness as does Digby. Beale picks himself somewhere. Genia is a no brainer.

On second thoughts, maybe the best for the 10 is Samo !!!

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
After this weekend's games i'm a bit confused.

I'd start the world cup with the following backline

10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.MCCabe
13.Fainga'a
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale
22. O'Connor/Mitchell

McCabe has done the dirty world in all of our matches this season. Nothing spectacular and very few mistakes and it is important that we have an aggressive defensive midfield at the world cup, because teams like England, Samoa and France are pathetically uncreative in will simply try to bash their way through the middle all day long. Barnes would add more of an attacking/tactical kicking dimension to the postion but for the time being McCabe should keep his spot. Fainga'a and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) both deserve another game last night. both were strong in defense and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a good day on the wing. The team would be better with O'Connor in the side but I cant justify kicking out the guys who earned it last night, even though we need a goal kick desperately.

Come the quarters and semis at the WC i think our best backline will be

10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes/McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. O'Connor
15. Beale
22. Mitchell/Fainga'a

H

H...

Assuming QC (Quade Cooper) is suspended I would look at Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) for 10. Barnes would bring a total change of gameplan which I think would harm the Wallabies.
NZ had the same issue with Spencer and Mertens years ago. So, to maintain a semblence of continuity (for better or for worse), you need a mercurial player like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale. Giteau also is mercurial but he's not a 10.

Mitchell picks himself when at 100% speed and fitness as does Digby. Beale picks himself somewhere. Genia is a no brainer.

On second thoughts, maybe the best for the 10 is Samo !!!

Please keep up, Quade is clear.

F

Fredfreduels

I can't understand people thinking McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be dropped. Barnes looked a lot worse than he usually does in defence for the baabaa's and didn't have a great year for the tahs. Looking over some of the stats, McCabe has consistently topped or been close to topping the overall tackle count and has made few errors. After last nights performance I would be shocked if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is dropped. The only position at this stage I think is in doubt is the wing spot after JOC (James O'Connor)'s actions.

10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.McCabe
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor) or Mitchell
15. Beale
22. Fainga'a or Horne

Status
Not open for further replies.