• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Backline for the world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the great thing is how many quality options we've got in most positions. The likelihood of the whole backline getting through the tournament uninjured is unfortunately, fairly low.

P

proton

best form of defence is attack having a stiff midfield frees up the demons out wide. thats the pretty mean backline best ive ever seen and having to stand beale down i dont know those 3 just read each other so well you can sense somethings up when theyre close together on the field. id stay with beale and get mitchell off the bench until the final if hes up to it...wateva but thats a mean backline.
Not sure if chopping and changing is the best policy during the rwc. On the basis that defense wins world cups:

9 genia
10 Cooper
11 ioane
12 McCabe
13 fa'ainga
14 mitchell (if he proves fitness)
15 JOC (James O'Connor)

21 burgess
22 Beale

Harsh on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but one game does not a season make. He would be in the 22 if Mitchell couldn't play 80.

Beale dropped because we can only afford one flake in the starting line up and at the moment that flake is our 10 and critical to our whole style of play.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
best form of defence is attack having a stiff midfield frees up the demons out wide. thats the pretty mean backline best ive ever seen and having to stand beale down i dont know those 3 just read each other so well you can sense somethings up when theyre close together on the field. id stay with beale and get mitchell off the bench until the final if hes up to it...wateva but thats a mean backline.

I don't really want to stand Beale down. It was just an option to fit our (apparently) best kicker back in the side without compromising mid field defense.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how our kickers are faring in training with the RWC balls.

JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't in good kicking form before he was stood down and Cooper, Barnes and Beale run hot and cold just like O'Connor.

Unless O'Connor is standing out with his kicking in training it would seem like a risky move to put him back in the starting team purely for his kicking.

P

proton

You have 4 options and on their day they've banged them over from everywhere and under pressure too. If they have to decide a game on a kick depending on where it is Id go with Cooper close and Beale long. The way B won that game against SA he just got up there and had a crack lol. Even Carter has a bad day but you dont see the ABs giving the T to anyone else unless he's off the field.
I wonder how our kickers are faring in training with the RWC balls.

JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't in good kicking form before he was stood down and Cooper, Barnes and Beale run hot and cold just like O'Connor.

Unless O'Connor is standing out with his kicking in training it would seem like a risky move to put him back in the starting team purely for his kicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.