• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Backline for the world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I also don't think that it is likely barnes will come into the 15 for any except the 3rd pool game, however he is the perfect bench option.

This means that with a 5/2 bench split at least two of the following guys would miss out altogether:

McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Fa'ainga
Mitchell
JOC (James O'Connor)
Horne

I suspect that Horne will be one of them, mainly as he hasn't had anytime to prove himself, but that Mitchell will get a chance in the first few matches. That leaves one of fa'ainga, McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be the other one out. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) probably gets the nod due to experience and the fact he has played 4 different positions for the wallabies, so then we are down to ant and pat. I bet Robbie wishes he had one more game before Italy to decide. He might risk a 4/3 bench against them to see another back in action.

Good problems to have.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agreed I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to 13 is a bad move. Ant or Horne for me. Ant is the incumbent as far as I am concerned. McCabe is the one who should be looking over his shoulder.

Fainga'a and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) seem to be getting all the wraps for the defense on the weekend, yet McCabe makes nearly as many tackles as the two of them put together and misses less.

He's also been consistently playing well, and alwYs making metres with the ball.

His spot is his to lose right now.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Deans will now need to revert to a 4:3 split on the bench to accommodate everyone.

We won't be able to do that if we are playing the likes of Samo, Palu and TPN, who all would stuggle to make 80. Particularly if our game plan is the same as on the weekend.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
One of the benefits of having such versatile (not just talented) backs is that we can make toughen up our forward pack via the bench. I'm starting to think this is an area in which we really have a competitive advantage. Provided there is someone like Higgers on the bench, who can play out wide if needed, the reward is far greater than the risk.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the 5:2 split should stay. Having such a versatile backline is an advantage and to utilise that advantage we need to play an extra forward.

Our best chance is to start with the incredible intensity shown at Suncorp on Saturday night. Having players like Vickerman and Samo who know that they are only playing 50 minutes and can give it their all is important. If we start with them and set the tone then we can replace them with Sharpe and Palu in the second half. TPN and Higgers come on for Moore and Elsom in the last 25 minutes to provide some spark in the back end of the game. Kepu, Alexander and Slipper can be managed however Deans wants. Potentially Alexander could be a good person to bring off the bench as his ability to score tries will probably be at its best if he is fresh and the opposition pack is tiring at the end of the game.

We are really starting to put together a dynamic and ferocious forward pack.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Although a change here and there is ok, maintaining the combinations built as to be the priority. What we had on Saturday worked and if our individual favourate players miss out then so be it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Palu will be lucky to make the 22 at this stage...

I think when Samo comes off we just stick on McCalman...

The problem is if we don't have 3 spots on the bench for backs then two of the following have to miss out: Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell...

If Mitchell isn't fit then that solves that, but if he's back up to speed he probably has to start, and Barnes is required on the bench to cover 10/12...

I wouldn't even think about changing the current centre combination...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think the fact that we're going to have excellent backs missing out is a reason to play an extra one on the bench.

I think a replacement back offers far less difference than a replacement forward. Aside from halfback, I think you only need to be able to cover injuries, not tiredness.

As we showed on Saturday night, the intensity of the forward pack is what will win and lose us matches.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's be honest though, only one of the two backrow replacements from the weekend made any impact...

With Rocky's development back into form there's no need for two backrowers on the bench...

If we do go for a 5:2 split who would get the cut?

At this stage you would stick to the backline from the weekend, with Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor) and possibly Mitchell or Horne fighting it out for that one spot...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Barnes needs a crack at 12. Fainga'a should stay at 13 and JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and Mitchell need to fight it out for 14.

I don't think moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to 13 is a good plan. He hasn't excelled there all test season and in his first game on the wing he had a blinder. I think it would be shortsighted to just consider this a coincidence.

I'd try a couple of things in the pool games against USA and Russia like playing Barnes, Fainga'a and Horne at 10, 12, 13 but at this stage I think Horne must be on the outer just due to lack of match practice and big game experience.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Barnes needs a crack at 12.

You can't drop McCabe who has been in consistent excellent form.

At this stage the only starting position in contention would be that wing spot, which AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) deserves another crack at.

I think Barnes is going to have to settle for the bench for now, or starting at 10/12 against some minnow sides.

In fact, Barnes' main role will most likely have to be 10 cover as there is no one else in the squad with any real test experience.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The reality is that there will be injuries, it is damn nice to see guys like Barnes, Horne & Palu on the fringes waiting for an opportunity to make the 22 let alone the starting side

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Horne is unlikely to force his way into the starting line up, and doesn't cover enough from the bench. Mitchell is the only one that could force his way into the 14 spot, as he is one of the best in the world at what he does. Barnes is not one of the best in the world at what he does, but he could be invaluable off the bench to close our games or provide a steadying hand either outside of Cooper or instead of Cooper. It depends on how much we want to risk having an attacking player on the bench vs a steadying player (eg Barnes vs JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cooper
Ioane
McCabe
Fainga
Mitchell
Beale

Bench
Barnes
Ashley-Cooper

I bet JOC (James O'Connor) is regretting that sleep-in, may have just lost his spot in the 22.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Don't see Deans changing much myself, certainly not inside centre. McCabe is a defensive lynchpin for us. Growing in attack , injects himself into the breakdown, utterly fearless and a machine in defense.

Definitely a convert to AF, he's really shown class and aggression in the last two games. He has earnt the right to OC but it's lineball with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) playing so well. I'd prefer a 4/3 bench with Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Burgess but if it's 5/2 I'd predict AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) dropping/alternating games with AF.

Like many here I'm a huge fan of Mitchell, but I can't see Beale or Ioane being benched, and it'd be a big call to keep O'Connor on the bench. Hope O'Connor is furiously practising his kicking or all bets are off.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What advantage does a 4/3 bench with Burgo, Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) bring? Deans has shown a willingness to make tough decisions (like them or not), so I don't expect him to shy away from telling an outstanding back that they won't be in the 22. A 5/2 split has been very successful for us this year, with a win in SA and against NZ. Why change that?

McCabe has made the most of his chance, particularly with strong defense and straight running. He certainly has earned his spot in the side, but I'm not sure that he has done enough to cement it. To my mind a fit and firing Barnes offers 80% of what McCabe does, as he is a superior defender and a straight runner, although not as powerful. But he also offers a massive amount that McCabe does not: a strong kicking game, playmaking, goalkicking back-up, leadership and back-line direction. I would like to see Barnes on the bench and given a substantial run, as he has the ability to add some oft-needed levelheadedness to our back line.

J

jimmymac

What advantage does a 4/3 bench with Burgo, Mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) bring? Deans has shown a willingness to make tough decisions (like them or not), so I don't expect him to shy away from telling an outstanding back that they won't be in the 22. A 5/2 split has been very successful for us this year, with a win in SA and against NZ. Why change that?

McCabe has made the most of his chance, particularly with strong defense and straight running. He certainly has earned his spot in the side, but I'm not sure that he has done enough to cement it. To my mind a fit and firing Barnes offers 80% of what McCabe does, as he is a superior defender and a straight runner, although not as powerful. But he also offers a massive amount that McCabe does not: a strong kicking game, playmaking, goalkicking back-up, leadership and back-line direction. I would like to see Barnes on the bench and given a substantial run, as he has the ability to add some oft-needed levelheadedness to our back line.

i couldnt agree more, there is no way Deans will go with a 4/3 bench to accommodate an outside back. i think the only person outside the current starting 15 that will get a shot is barnes - i agree with the fact that he offers much more than mccabe. mccabe hasnt done anything for me to show he deserves a guaranteed selection. As good as mitchell is i think he may have left his run a bit late, especially with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s performance at the weekend - either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or JOC (James O'Connor) for 14 and the other on the bench.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
4/3 enables Deans to give people gametime/opportunity who badly need it. Burgess plus 1 means we have to choose 1 place for Mitchell/Horne/Barnes/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Same argument for the forwards needing time tho, so even tho 4/3 is my personal (backs biased?) pref for the early games as we build up I agree 5/2 seems likely.

With regards McCabe. No such thing as a guaranteed selection. Hell, this whole thread is proof of that. But McCabe isn't a showpony and I think people tend to underestimate what he achieves because of it. His tackle count was almost double Fainga'a's, and it's not as if Ant was being slack! Short of him having a meltdown I think Deans has McCabe locked in at 12. He's a machine in defense and at the breakdown, and you can practically see him soaking up the learning in attack and positional play every game. I don't know if he can become a strong attacking weapon this World Cup, thats a stretch, but I saw some plays and confidence I'd been looking for on Sat. I believe he has it in him to really change it up in attack, beyond the current script he's been given, and that will come with confidence and opportunity.

I really like the McCabe/AF pairing, they were a wrecking crew on Sat for us. Imagine how potent they could be given the games under their belt to get combinations going.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Would not be surprised to see a 4/3 split against Russia or the USA because it won't matter who we play, but I doubt we will against Ireland or Italy.

I'm not knocking McCabe, btw, and I've been stoked with how well he is playing. He is simply a less complete player than Barnes. I'd like to see 12. Barnes 13. A Finger by the knockout stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.