• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
McCabe's injury might not be as serious... apparently his shoulder popped out and then back in again..

Doesn't matter. Even so there will be severe ligament damage. He'll be out for a while...Cyclopath may clarify.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Doesn't matter. Even so there will be severe ligament damage. He'll be out for a while...Cyclopath may clarify.
Doesn't matter if it popped back in in 2 seconds - to get it out in the first place implies significant ligament damage, and a propensity to do it again easily. Any action raising the arm above the horizontal, or a direct blow to the joint, or any external rotation of the joint and "pop". I would not think the risk was justifiable. But I'm sure the Wallaby docs know best.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He's perfectly eligible. If Deans wants Smith, and Smith wants in, Smith is in.

ARU are not bound by their own rules.
Well, that would make a rod for their own backs. Players could then go offshore and use the precedent to say they are eligible for Wallaby selection. I doubt the ARU would open that can of worms.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
De we really need another centre to come in? I would think Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could more than do the job at 12 and 13 and that's if all three from last night are confirmed as out. Although I guess then we're only one more injury from being up shit creek and realistically Ant is probably the only one likely to return anyway. Diggers back to 13 with JOC (James O'Connor) and Schmoo on the wings?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to reports today, Fainga'a has good memory of everything that happened in the lead up to being knocked out so he might not be out for too long.

Deans said Rob Horne's fractured cheekbone, sustained in his first tackle of the match, was a "minor displacement" and classified as "promising".

McCabe and Palu would seem to be the biggest worries. I guess we need to wait for details from today's medicals to get more info.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/deans-waits-for-medical-advice-20110924-1kq6q.html

H

Hoffers

Hardtackle, you are spot on 100% Beau matched McCaw in both Super 15 games for Reds, and dominated against Sth African teams. Please robbie pick him!!!!!

H

H...

Well, that would make a rod for their own backs. Players could then go offshore and use the precedent to say they are eligible for Wallaby selection. I doubt the ARU would open that can of worms.

What? The concept of precedent has no application whatsoever to a body like the ARU. The can allow what they like, when they like, when it comes to their own policies.

What the players might "say" later is completely irrelevant.

Deans is reported to have asked Smith to join the squad before it was named, but Smith said no thanks. I assume the ARU approved the move beforehand.

I would think, as far as the ARU goes, that Deans would have access to whomever he likes, should he want someone badly enough.

Exceptions to a policy does not make the policy completely invaluable.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What? The concept of precedent has no application whatsoever to a body like the ARU. The can allow what they like, when they like, when it comes to their own policies.

What the players might "say" later is completely irrelevant.

Deans is reported to have asked Smith to join the squad before it was named, but Smith said no thanks. I assume the ARU approved the move beforehand.

I would think, as far as the ARU goes, that Deans would have access to whomever he likes, should he want someone badly enough.

Exceptions to a policy does not make the policy completely invaluable.

Reported by whom?

If they made an exception to their rule for Smith then they might lose the limited power they have to keep blokes playing super 15 rather than going to France for many times the money (mind you GFC II might put an end to that). Vickerman was as close to an exception as they would want to go.

H

H...

Reported by whom?

If they made an exception to their rule for Smith then they might lose the limited power they have to keep blokes playing super 15 rather than going to France for many times the money (mind you GFC II might put an end to that). Vickerman was as close to an exception as they would want to go.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/audio/2011/08/20/3298134.htm

An exception made for one player for the RWC is unlikely to result in an opening of the floodgates, as long as it's clear that the exceptions will be rare.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/audio/2011/08/20/3298134.htm

An exception made for one player for the RWC is unlikely to result in an opening of the floodgates, as long as it's clear that the exceptions will be rare.

Not sure how reliable Eddie Jones is on these things......
If you make the exception, after you've told the guy in question its over for him, how do you make it clear exceptions will be rare? He's been gone for a season already: doesn't say much about what Deans thinks of the current crop given that (as i recall it) he told Smith to get gone!

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Been a long time since I paid much credence to what Eddie Jones had to say. Now if Rod McQueen has something to say... Enjoy reading Dwyer's tactical analysis, and pay close heed to his view of players games, I just ignore the ref comments, self marketing of his manual and the exclamation marks!! !

Most disappointing commentator for me is Campo, it always seems like someone has put sand in his panties.

Re the squad, injuries may not be as bad as we feared. If one goes back, most likely McCabe, would Deans go for a 7 or Gits?

H

H...

Not sure how reliable Eddie Jones is on these things......
If you make the exception, after you've told the guy in question its over for him, how do you make it clear exceptions will be rare? He's been gone for a season already: doesn't say much about what Deans thinks of the current crop given that (as i recall it) he told Smith to get gone!

You make it clear by not granting any further exceptions. Fairly simple I'd have thought.

H

H...

um......they've done that and now we're talking about another exception: so what they should say is no more exceptions until the next one?

You grant the exceptions on a case by case basis, yes.

DId the first one that you speak of result in the mass exodus that you're worried about?

The policy has been in place since 1996 at least, I hardly think two exceptions in 16 years is a demonstration that everyone can leave and still get picked. After all, there's no evidence of it whatsoever.

P

potogold

Potogold, there was nothing negative about Ireland's play at all. Not one thing. They played to their strengths, as all teams do. Their strengths were stronger on the day than Australia's strengths.

i was just posing questions to you guys about how the media viewed it as negative. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.