• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-09/cooper-out-beale-in-for-lions-tests/4742720

Squad pretty much confirmed. Apart from the debate about Quade apparently being our 5th best flyhalf which will inadvertently reignite, I think omitting him and picking up mccabe tells us that we will be playing the bash it up style of footy Deans is renowned for.

Sio - Well Deserved
Beale - Brilliant footballer but is he in the right head space? Is it setting the right example? Will he be less error prone than blooper?
Kimlin - Well deserved!!
Burgess - Do we really need the 3rd half back? Were it Nic White as the 3rd option I would say yes, but Burgess at the expense of a 3rd hooker like Hanson is debatable
McCabe - No question of commitment but is he the right choice when we have Horne? I personally don't think so but that might be the 12/13 combo we see.
Ioane - most likely the sixth. No question about his inclusion

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So Dingo has confirmed today that in his opinion, QC (Quade Cooper) isn't in the best 31 players in the country and isn't in the best 3 fly halves.

I think we all know this is bullshit. Yes, he isn't best suited to Dingo's dire game plan, but surely a guy of his talent and experience has to be in the squad for injury cover and his point of difference. At this point it is surely personal dislike. Not that he isn't entitled to some, the way QC (Quade Cooper) behaved. But as the Wallaby coach I expect him to be the bigger man.

Oh we'll, I look forward to these being the last 3 games coached by Robbie Deans.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon that I could coach the All Blacks. There is such depth and breadth in New Zealand Rugby, that even I could not ruin it in a season.

Deans has been trying to build that depth and breadth here, a very difficult, perhaps impossible, task.

The national coach doesn't build depth and breadth. It is built at the grassroots level and then harnessed at super rugby level.

The national coach just gets his pick of the cream and has to build a game plan around what he has got.

Trying to execute a game plan that you don't have the players to pull off is not admirable, it's just fucking stupid.

How To Be Successful In International Rugby 101: "Play to your strengths and minimise your weaknesses."

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Any coincidence Pat McCabes best patch of rugby so far this year was when he was effectively playing wing on the weekend?

I can see it now, a backline of Genia+6 Wingers:
9. Genia
10. O'Connor
11. Cummins
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Tomane
15. Folau

"The robbie deans winning formula: Backline Success = G + 6W"

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Coleman took over at 12 when he came on for Rathbone, and didn't McCabe make an impact at the end of the line! If Deans plays McCabe on the wing, he'll make much more of an impact.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just hope McCabe doesn't play over Horne at 12 if the direct 12 is what Deans wants. I do not see what McCabe does better than Horne. I think their defence is equal but Horne possess a better step and fend, an offload ability and wins his collisions more regularly. Horne fights harder in the tackle getting to the ground, can't get the image of McCabe being held up against the Irish out of my head.

Got no problems with Lealiifano at 12, just a different style.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just hope McCabe doesn't play over Horne at 12 if the direct 12 is what Deans wants. I do not see what McCabe does better than Horne. I think their defence is equal but Horne possess a better step and fend, an offload ability and wins his collisions more regularly. Horne fights harder in the tackle getting to the ground, can't get the image of McCabe being held up against the Irish out of my head.

Got no problems with Lealiifano at 12, just a different style.

I see them as having pretty similar skill set and style. McCabe has more runs on the board. the biggest thing working in Horne's favour is his established partnership with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

I'd prefer to see Lilo at inside

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any coincidence Pat McCabes best patch of rugby so far this year was when he was effectively playing wing on the weekend?

He's mostly played out at outside centre for the Brumbies off the bench this year.........

It's possibly his best position, but it's a bit hard to squeeze him into the starting XV with the players they have now..........

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good to see Sio and Kimlin get there

Both showed on Friday they are up to it

Burgess? Meh, but who else with White gone

McCabe? He is a solid bench option, he can cover the full 12 to 15, I just don't want to see him start

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Okay so we have our final 31. I think Deans has nailed it.

1. Benn Robinson / Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore / Saia Fainga'a (James Hanson)
3. Ben Alexander / James Slipper / Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas / Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill / Hugh McMeniman
6. Ben Mowen / Dave Dennis / Peter Kimlin
7. Michael Hooper / Liam Gill
8. Wycliff Palu / Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia / Nick Phipps (Luke Burgess)
10. James O'Connor
11. Digby Ioane / Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano / Pat McCabe
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper / Rob Horne
14. Israel Folau / Nick Cummins
15. Berrick Barnes / Kurtley Beale

That would be my starting XV. As for the remaining 8:

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Hugh McMeniman
20. Liam Gill
21. Nick Phipps
22. Pat McCabe
23. Kurtley Beale

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Im guessing a bench role is what we're likely to see McCabe play in the tests.

He's a very handy bench option for us, covers 10 11 through 15 and has the experience and toughness that you want to see coming of the bench.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Im guessing a bench role is what we're likely to see McCabe play in the tests.

He's a very handy bench option for us, covers 10 through 15

That would be a narrow game, running him at 10. Lends new meaning to playing what's in front of you.

P

Paradox

If Deans is consistent he'll pick McCabe at 12 over Horne. Horne hasn't delivered at test level and hasn't played 12 in any tests - McCabe is more powerful in contact and has at delivered some pretty big defensive efforts for Deans. Lilo should get the nod but of course he won't.

I still think we'll see Beale at 10.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Okay so we have our final 31. I think Deans has nailed it. The only change I would make would be Hanson in for Phipps but that's a squad decision, not personnel.

1. Benn Robinson / Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore / Saia Fainga'a
3. Ben Alexander / James Slipper / Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas / Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill / Peter Kimlin
6. Ben Mowen / Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper / Liam Gill
8. Wycliff Palu / Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia / Nick Phipps / Luke Burgess
10. James O'Connor
11. Digby Ioane / Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano / Pat McCabe
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper / Rob Horne
14. Israel Folau / Nick Cummins
15. Berrick Barnes / Kurtley Beale

That would be my starting XV. As for the remaining 8:

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Liam Gill
21. Luke Burgess
22. Pat McCabe
23. Kurtley Beale

That's pretty much what I'd go with expect switch Beale/Barnes. maybe McCabe on the bench for Horne because he plays wing and fullback. I like the idea that we'll finish the game with Slipper/Simmons/Horwill/Gill and Genia, the core Reds players, all on the field in the final 10 minutes of the test. This is Suncorp Stadium and ill back the Reds players to come up trumps in the final minutes.

P

Paradox

Any chance Kimlin on bench instead of Simmons to cover lock, 6 and 8? I know Gill can play 6 but I'd prefer someone a bit more abrasive on the bench.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd rather have a genuine lock out there. Mowen and Palu can manage 80, we shouldn't be preparing for them to come off.

Kimlin's hands worry me in the last couple mins of the game.

P

Paradox

I find it unbelievable that Beale gets in the Wallaby squad despite bring rugby into into disrepute. Punching his captain, pissing it up, legal matters, getting fat....I'm over him.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Last night was the best and worst of Cooper, and ably showed why he's not being selected. He started red hot, the passing was sublime, and the Lions only had scrambling defence to answer it. Shit Monahan was good.

Then the visitors got themselves together and started to put pressure on. The Red started to try dodgy passes and touch rugby, and leading the way was Quade. If he'd mixed it up with some field position and given his forward pack the odd rest, they could have been in front at half time.

Fainga'a and Tapuai also showed why they're not in the squad - they just look a little off with some of their decision making in particular.

And you can't blame the lack of Genia -Frisby was superb.

Nope -it's just a simple fact that winning rugby from 2011 doesn't stack up in 2013 when your pack is up against it and your three quarter line can't make the right decision when it's required

P

Paradox

Last night was the best and worst of Cooper, and ably showed why he's not being selected.

I'm not convinced the reds would have done any better using a different style. Their back 3 demonstrated a good ability to counter attack and the Reds lineout was very poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.