• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That's a long way from:

"Defense - I think it is now equivalent to a Larkham or Merhtens. It isn't awesome, but it isn't a reason not to select him."

Larkham was picked on numerous occasions despite concern his defense wouldn't hold up due to elbow issues. It isn't that far at all from what I said.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not defeatist at all. Redshappy's post yesterday sum up what I feel. In short we have some extremely talented players and really the makings of a side that could be as great as either the 1990-1994 or 1998-2002 sides. I do not believe that any of the players selected are bad players. I strongly believe that the reign of Deans has been a litany of mismanagement and wasted opportunities, much as the Tahs were up to this year. I will look forward to each game with the knowledge that the players really want to win and will give their all to do so and they will in so many cases be able to pull a game out of the fire through sheer guts and will. What I do doubt is the ability of Robbie Deans to give the side the tools to truly beat a good side through exciting adventurous play.

I am a rugby fanatic, that means I can see the beauty in a grinding game, a conservative field position game, the Boks up and under game of a few years ago as much as the ensemble play of the Randwick and Tahs sides of the late 80's early 90's. The key is the formation of the plan, selection of the players to play it by selecting for the correct skill sets in the proper positions and finally the execution by the players. What I cannot stand and despise is the waste and mismanagement of so much talent by playing half formed game plans and selecting players out of their positions for plans that are far removed from their skill set, before we even get to the players trying to execute a pile of S&^%.

Perhaps Deans has learnt a bit from the RWC where he selected Cooper to play a game he was totally unsuited for. If he has and that is the reason for his omission hooray!!!!, I could support such reasoning totally. It is however a lesson that a coach of his "standing" shouldn't have had to learn in a RWC semi final, and it seems to me that Deans has been learning these sort of lessons the hard way since arriving to coach a test side, with Giteau being the first.

Finally what I truly despise is a manager of any stripe abrogating his responsibilities and blaming underlings for plans that go awry and running their people into the ground while he continues on his merry way while he learns his lessons and never says well I learn something there, it is instead the fault of Giteau or Cooper or injuries (when he selected the players while injured in the first place).

I am not defeatist at all, I will not however sugar coat the truth as I see it.
And only one 7 to the World Cup.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The former coaches have consistently bagged whoever was at the helm.
All the rest are Queenslanders,nothing new there.

I honestly don't understand why they don't secede.
They are Qlders who happen to be Australians.
Everyone else are Australians who happen to be from NSW or wherever.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Quit it with the inter state trolling, please. It doesn't need these comments adding to it.

T

Train Without a Station

You'll always get your Campos or your Jones throwing their 2 cents in as they look through their rose coloured glasses but it's never been so united. In addition we're not talking about a couple of trouble maker ex nobodies weighing in either, Slack is a former Wallaby captain, Horan is a pretty highly respected player also. To accuse these two of weighing only because they are Queenslander's questions the integrity of two blokes who have it in the utmost.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You'll always get your Campos or your Jones throwing their 2 cents in as they look through their rose coloured glasses but it's never been so united. In addition we're not talking about a couple of trouble maker ex nobodies weighing in either, Slack is a former Wallaby captain, Horan is a pretty highly respected player also. To accuse these two of weighing only because they are Queenslander's questions the integrity of two blokes who have it in the utmost.
I did say we should be slower to get over this than the actual selections.
I would have thought that Slack's voice and to a lesser extent Horan (only because he is in the media) would cause the ARU board to look at the issue - but I guess that is really a triumph of hope over experience.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Sorry, that is a load of fucking bullshit.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't think we need Timani and Palu on the field at the same time.

Timani was stuck out in the 10/12 channel for most of last season off lineouts. But with Palu back, that is his job to me.

when we had a backrow of Dave Dennis, David Pocock & Scott Higginbotham I saw the point of Timani

This makes sense to me. Hopefully Timani is cover for the shifting of positions that will occur if Palu gets hurt (i.e. Higgers to 8 and Mowen/Dennis to 6). I'd really much prefer Simmons partnered with Horwill unless Douglas recovers in time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Higgers is better out wide than Palu. Palu's running game is tight, not wide. He'll run off the back of scrums ans one off from rucks. But I expect Timani out wide, he needs to work on offloads because they'll try to hold him up but if he draws 2-3 defenders and gets the ball away..

Palu will kill it if Robbie implements the Reds style of multiple forward runners angling off Genia. Unfortunately most of what we have seen from the Deans wallabies is the deep and static forward runners that give our boys no chance.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
ARU is copping a lot of flak on the Wallabies facebook page. They've had to start hiding comments in order to save face.

Status
Not open for further replies.