• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Tomane was chosen ahead of his last year then was injured for the entire Wallaby season. But who knows. He could throw Barnes on the sting for all we know.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Predicted backline under Deans:
9. Tomane
10. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
11. Barnes
12. Genia
13. Ioane
14. Lealiifano
15. Horne

But seriously, Deans is no idiot. I'd be expecting Tomane to start with Cummins to bring that enthusiasm for the last 20 seconds minutes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Predicted backline under Deans:
9. Tomane
10. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
11. Barnes
12. Genia
13. Ioane
14. Lealiifano
15. Horne

But seriously, Deans is no idiot. I'd be expecting Tomane to start with Cummins to bring that enthusiasm for the last 20 seconds minutes.

I think it will come down to how they do in the camp, nothing between those two, although I think Cummins is more likely to make yardage in heavy traffic and smash units more often and Tomane maybe better in the tram tracks on the edge

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
  1. An employee works under an employers instructions.
  2. A player plays to the coaches instructions / game plan.
  3. Test match rugby is different to Super Rugby.
  • Well has Deans performed at test match level?
  • Maybe QC (Quade Cooper) hasnt dominated a game becase he's playing under the coaches instructions / game plan.
In todays Tele Horan asks;
Of Coopers 38 tests (how many under Deans) are there any that immediately spring to mind?

How about we ask the same question about the coach;
What springs to my mind is dour rugby and some dissapointing losses.

This thread frustrates me and I was trying so hard not to post on it again.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think it will come down to how they do in the camp, nothing between those two, although I think Cummins is more likely to make yardage in heavy traffic and smash units more often and Tomane maybe better in the tram tracks on the edge

Cummins should get the nod because he has started a test and performed well in it. He is actually the incumbent.

If Digby is out I expect both to start.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cummins should get the nod because he has started a test and performed well in it. He is actually the incumbent.

If Digby is out I expect both to start.

Yeah, I also see Cummins as a blind side winger and Tomane as an openside in style

The good thing is that both are very good under the high ball, I expect a few of them

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not much between Badger and Tomane. HB performed very well against England last year so he might get the nod.

slaven

Frank Row (1)
You need enough guys for proper opposed training (particularly for scrums I imagine - though I'll defer to a forward on that one

Good point. So where is the fourth lock to set legitimate opposed scrums? I'm assuming they will use Dennis? How will that simulate the intensity of what the Lions will bring at scrum time?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I agree.

I think people misrepresent what Palu does on the field. I think people see a big Tongan guy and expect his game to be based entirely around ball running and big tackles.

Whilst he is a perfectly decent ball runner his biggest strength is that he makes a lot of tackles and is heavily involved in the ruck. He is always one of the hardest workers in the Wallaby pack and complements players like Higginbotham and Hooper who look for ball running in space and Timani who is being picked to crash the ball up in midfield and potentially offload.

I have often been critical of Palu, not on account of his defence, but because certain Tahs fans have loudly proclaimed his running and line-breaking abilities. From my observations it is many years since Cliff was so proficient in these areas and I also agree with Bob Dwyer's assessment a couple of years ago that he is not involved enough. If he is picked for his defence, so be it. But for running and line-breaking, I would have Higgers or Mowen any day.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have often been critical of Palu, not on account of his defence, but because certain Tahs fans have loudly proclaimed his running and line-breaking abilities. From my observations it is many years since Cliff was so proficient in these areas and I also agree with Bob Dwyer's assessment a couple of years ago that he is not involved enough. If he is picked for his defence, so be it. But for running and line-breaking, I would have Higgers or Mowen any day.

I am a big fan of Cliff, but not for his line-breaking abilities. He is a solid runner, but by no means a wrecking ball.

I am a fan of Cliffy because his work rate is second to none. The notion that he 'isn't involved enough' doesn't stand up to any sort of meaningful analysis. He consistently tops tackle and run counts, makes offloads and hits rucks. In short he is a workhorse.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m hoping Robbie goes with the following team for the first test:-

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Douglas
6. Mowen (can move to 8)
7. Gill
8. Palu (50 minutes)
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor) (back-up 12, 14, 15)
11. Ioane
12. Lilo (Back up 10)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (back up 11, 14, 15)
14. Folau (Back up 15)
15. Beale (Back up 10)
16. Alexander
17. Palmer
18. Fainga'a
19. Timani
20. Higgers (6 or 8)
21. Hooper
22. White
23. McCabe/Horne (back up 12/13)

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

Scott made the point in his article today that the lack of a 4th lock could be to intentionally give Dennis plenty of time scrummaging in that position. If Dennis is going to be on the bench, then he'd better get used to packing down at 4/5 (probably 4, I imagine). It's probably lacking in a bit of intensity, but maybe it's worth it for getting all the personnel up to (some degree of) speed.

Furthermore, regardless of who the Wallabies had there in place of Dennis, there is no way that Australia's second string scrum is going to put on anything approaching the kind of heat that Jones et al are going to. It's impossible to simulate what's coming, so why not aim for a different advantage (a totally prepared lock/6 on the bench).

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I’m hoping Robbie goes with the following team for the first test:-

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Douglas
6. Mowen (can move to 8)
7. Gill
8. Palu (50 minutes)
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor) (back-up 12, 14, 15)
11. Ioane
12. Lilo (Back up 10)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (back up 11, 14, 15)
14. Folau (Back up 15)
15. Beale (Back up 10)
16. Alexander
17. Palmer
18. Fainga'a
19. Timani
20. Higgers (6 or 8)
21. Hooper
22. White
23. McCabe/Horne (back up 12/13)

I agree with all of that, except with Barnes at 23.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
You'll always get your Campos or your Jones throwing their 2 cents in as they look through their rose coloured glasses but it's never been so united. In addition we're not talking about a couple of trouble maker ex nobodies weighing in either, Slack is a former Wallaby captain, Horan is a pretty highly respected player also. To accuse these two of weighing only because they are Queenslander's questions the integrity of two blokes who have it in the utmost.
Did you see Horan's comments on Foxsports website today?While still a supporter of Quade's ability,it seems he could see the arguments for not picking him.If a highly respected ex player like he can see it,why has his non selection,at this stage, caused such a furore?For sure there are some other debatable selections,but if Quade had been picked there would be nothing like this.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is what I reckon will happen with subs assuming no injury, the prop subs will depend on how the scrum is performing in the game.

1. Robinson
2. Moore - 80
3. Slipper
4. Horwill - 80
5. Timani - 60 for the lock/6 on the bench (Dennis or MMM)
6. Higginbotham - 60 (must be same time as Timani) for Gill
7. Hooper - 80 (continues to pack at 7 due to being quicker than Gill)
8. Palu - 80

--

Get rid of Red eh? I'm all for that..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Scott made the point in his article today that the lack of a 4th lock could be to intentionally give Dennis plenty of time scrummaging in that position. If Dennis is going to be on the bench, then he'd better get used to packing down at 4/5 (probably 4, I imagine). It's probably lacking in a bit of intensity, but maybe it's worth it for getting all the personnel up to (some degree of) speed.

Furthermore, regardless of who the Wallabies had there in place of Dennis, there is no way that Australia's second string scrum is going to put on anything approaching the kind of heat that Jones et al are going to. It's impossible to simulate what's coming, so why not aim for a different advantage (a totally prepared lock/6 on the bench).

Jesus christ, Dave Dennis is legitimately being considered as the back up 2nd row against the fucking Lions?!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That ad is gold. Best thing I've seen from rugby marketing in a long time in this country.

Is that Sean Mahoney in the koala suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.