• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
joseph-be-like-joseph-hill.gif

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This is absolutely true.

I don't think there's a reasonable argument that we're picking the wrong players though.

No one would suggest the Brumbies should select Angus Staniforth at fullback over Tom Wright because there's a risk Staniforth might head overseas if he doesn't get a decent amount of playing time in the next year or so.
Too late BH. Angus has already choofed off. And you are correct, I wouldn't be advocating for him to just now replace Tom Wright (the current Wallaby No 15) but a proper next tier comp with sufficient games to give everybody an opportunity to develop might have seen him ready to go when Tom calls it quits at some future time. Angus is one hell of a talented player and anything could have been possible. A bit differen t scenario with Moese who by my judgement has more potential than any of the current Tahs' centres including Perese and Foketi, and already better than Walton.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Too late BH. Angus has already choofed off. And you are correct, I wouldn't be advocating for him to just now replace Tom Wright (the current Wallaby No 15) but a proper next tier comp with sufficient games to give everybody an opportunity to develop might have seen him ready to go when Tom calls it quits at some future time. Angus is one hell of a talented player and anything could have been possible. A bit differen t scenario with Moese who by my judgement has more potential than any of the current Tahs' centres including Perese and Foketi, and already better than Walton.
We are all entitled to an opinion but rightly or wrongly the Waratahs coach(es) didn't share this one. The other key difference is that Mosese is automatically eligible for Scotland, plus his brother probably threw out a lure, whereas Angus has to stay in France for 3 years without coming back home - there are a few of his peers over there with him and I'm sure they aren't planning to relocate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

An NRC replacement would obviously be ideal. We are really missing it.

I disagree on Mosese. You seem to be rating a performance in a trial game as showing more than players who have performed well at times at test level. In the limited opportunities he had at Super Rugby level you couldn't say he was anything better than ok.

Certainly the concept that Australian Rugby should have prioritized the re-signing of of Mosese Tuipulotu over current test players is ridiculous. It wouldn't have just taken a standard Super Rugby contract to retain him.

We are nowhere near able to retain the players that we want, who want to play here if the money is acceptable, let alone a player who is being actively poached by another international union and has significant ties there.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Should they have been Super Rugby starters before they left ahead of current Wallabies though?

That's largely what it boils down to.

I don't think it's really worthwhile looking at whether they would have more opportunity at a different side. It's become very clear with most of these departures that they aren't seeking another opportunity at a different Australian side as a preference to taking up the overseas contract.
Nah, not right. In Mack's case, he should have been higher in the pecking order for a Brumbies wing spot than he was. It is not usually the case that these players are in competition with current Wallabies.

The Brumbies had Henry Speight, Chance Peni, Toni Pulu, Solomone Kata, Andrew Muirhead, and Tom Wright on the roster through the years Hansen was with the squad.

Henry is one of my all time favourite players and would make my all time best Brumbies side. But by 2021 he was not the same player he was when with the Wallabies, or in earlier days with the Brumbies. Peni and Kata were just ordinary at Super level while Andrew Muirhead (the man has some longevity and tenacity doesn't he?) was probably on par with Hansen. Tom Wright was probably the only one who was better. It is arguable, and actually clear to me, that the Brumbies retention program fell down badly in this case. And it seems that Mack left for overseas because no other franchise wanted to offer him a contract after they were all approached. Beats me why the Tahs (or was it the Reds?) at the time didn't see his worth after he was instrumental in causing a last minute loss for them in an earlier game.

Not saying that every situation is similar to Mack's, but there is something drastically wrong with our systems and competitions in this country when we see so many of our next wave of players opting to go overseas and play for other countries.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Having seen him play a fair few Shute Shield games as well it would have been ludicrous to sign him over anyone else currently. Harry Wilson and Joey Walton have had better showings in Clubland. It would be reactionary and a defensive signing of keeping him away from others over actually improving our side.

Could he be a great player? Sure. I hope he has a good career.

Are NZ filthy with themselves for Gibson-Park and Bundee Aki?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
We are all entitled to an opinion but rightly or wrongly the Waratahs coach(es) didn't share this one. The other key difference is that Mosese is automatically eligible for Scotland, plus his brother probably threw out a lure, whereas Angus has to stay in France for 3 years without coming back home - there are a few of his peers over there with him and I'm sure they aren't planning to relocate.
His cousin/uncle Tom is over there and I believe he had a hand in enticing Angus to France. I wil be surprised, pleasantly so, if he returns before becoming France eligible.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
His cousin/uncle Tom is over there and I believe he had a hand in enticing Angus to France. I wil be surprised, pleasantly so, if he returns before becoming France eligible.
Tom is a bit distant, he may have had something to do with it but I'd say it's his actual uncle Graydon who played a bigger hand as he also played for Aurillac as his last pro gig before coming back to Aus. Talking of his cousins though, his cousin Harry (Scott's son) is one of his school peers who is at Aurillac with him. He was Tahs U19s last year.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I think there is a bit of genuine excitement building with Sua'ali'i in and Kerevi and Skelton back. Hopefully the media can help create a bit more interest around the tour. That is probably until we get belted.

Our mate Hamish made a comment the other day around how Joseph has paid for himself already. I guess that is a comment we will never know if it is true or not but the extra media attention, jersey sales etc is something we need to remember when just claiming a player is a waste of money based on performances alone. He would certainly get more people tuning in to the first test if he was picked over say Pietsch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tom is a bit distant, he may have had something to do with it but I'd say it's his actual uncle Graydon who played a bigger hand as he also played for Aurillac as his last pro gig before coming back to Aus. Talking of his cousins though, his cousin Harry (Scott's son) is one of his school peers who is at Aurillac with him. He was Tahs U19s last year.

I'm glad you've uncovered the angle for Brumby Runner to blame the Waratahs for losing Angus Staniforth, just like they were the main culprits for Mack Hansen going overseas.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
They are just 2 more examples of players getting infinitely better once they leave Australia and join actual professional environments with expectation

I keep hearing "we don't have the cattle", yet our cattle seem to be pretty valued around the world
But remember we have bought back a bunch of overseas players who were rockstars overseas and came back as duds.