• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not a novel comment from me, but there's also the fact that a nation like Scotland, and the others you mentioned, aren't having to split their naturally gifted athletes (who would likely excel in any sport) between four footy codes, two of which require very similar talents.
While this is true, I still think we have the athletes to have a far better team. As guys like Rob Kearney have mentioned, the athletes playing here are more than good enough, it was the coaching (or lack of) that he was most shocked about

JRugby2

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sione left in 2019, so was looking for a spot in 2020. My point is that we're not very strategic with our foreign signings.
Sione had a Summer sabbatical in 2018-2019 in Japan before he signed with the Revs club full time. So as Braveheart said before - it's most likely a combination of him wanting to leave and also not being good enough for RA or any of the franchises to aggressively pursue at the time

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
While this is true, I still think we have the athletes to have a far better team. As guys like Rob Kearney have mentioned, the athletes playing here are more than good enough, it was the coaching (or lack of) that he was most shocked about
Sure - and similar arguments could be made about the dispersion of coaching talent.

The main point I'm trying to make though is that there really isn't a silver bullet or two. As others have highlighted, there are numerous and longstanding contextual, systemic, and self-inflicted factors at play that will take decades to amend (if possible at all).

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sure - and similar arguments could be made about the dispersion of coaching talent.

The main point I'm trying to make though is that there really isn't a silver bullet or two. As others have highlighted, there are numerous and longstanding contextual, systemic, and self-inflicted factors at play that will take decades to amend (if possible at all).
oh it's defiantly still possible. I remember Ireland & Scotland being beyond hopeless not all that long ago. Wales, despite all their problems, have still managed to win regular Grand Slams

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
oh it's defiantly still possible. I remember Ireland & Scotland being beyond hopeless not all that long ago. Wales, despite all their problems, have still managed to win regular Grand Slams
To be frank, I'm less optimistic given the factors at play in Aus. I do believe we can probably get back to a top 6 or 7 team, and maintain if not slightly grow player numbers / public interest, but I don't think we can get back to where we were in the late 90s / early '00s.

Nice to see some optimism from you though ;)

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
There wouldn’t have been much room for him in the Brumbies midfield at that time though…
This is my fault for getting so into the past but he could've easily taken Kuenzle's bench spot and be ready for Tevita's immediate permanent form slump. I'm not lumping this at the Brumbies feet, Aus super players sign mediocre foreigners for cheap, I really hope the Rebels' demise allows teams to consolidate their wealth and focus it on Aus prospects.

JRugby2

Billy Sheehan (19)
This is my fault for getting so into the past but he could've easily taken Kuenzle's bench spot and be ready for Tevita's immediate permanent form slump. I'm not lumping this at the Brumbies feet, Aus super players sign mediocre foreigners for cheap, I really hope the Rebels' demise allows teams to consolidate their wealth and focus it on Aus prospects.
did he want to go anywhere else in Aus or is this just an assumption - especially considering his previous sabbatical and experience in Japan?

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I also hope the Rebels demise has proven to all Super Rugby teams in AUS that you can't buy your way to greatness.