• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is possible McReight may have taken on the captaincy if not for being injured leading into the RC, and does firm as a good choice going forward as a guaranteed starter... but, who knows?
I think he will. He is a solid player and speaks well, shows some rugby nous and was an excellent U20s capt. The only big ???? is - why the Reds didn't make him their captain.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I think he will. He is a solid player and speaks well, shows some rugby nous and was an excellent U20s capt. The only big ???? is - why the Reds didn't make him their captain.
Because Wright was incumbent captain before McReight was even in the team

Edit: I apologise, this is incorrect - Wright first captained in 2020; McReight was first capped in 2019

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
There was some insights on where he needs to improve
There was a bit of chat about this on the 8-9 podcast, Harry Jones isn't always worth listening too, but on this I think he's probably right.

These days being a fast elusive runner is about 1/3 of a winger's job. If you can't effectively take a high ball, and secure ruck ball as required then you are missing out on another 1/3%.

And the final 1/3 is the defensive line. These days a winger has to be able to stop an attacker. The places to hide defenders are usually occupied by the playmakers.

It's the latter 2/3rds where Toole needs to improve

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’d guess most, if not all, that are still on here have played the game.

Everything you say about the forwards can be true and our halves can still be letting us down. It’s still (IMO) a perfectly valid criticism. Whilst it might be true that forwards lay the platform you can have the best pack in the world and you’ll struggle without good halves.
I think you and Yoda are both right. A good pack gives backs a chance to win but we need a team, not a bunch of individuals the - 'just give it to me and I'll score' style of backs can stuff up a lot of good work as can backs that can't catch well. Been on both sides of this discussion and a balanced team with forwards who can win 50% of the ball and backs that can use it and not drop it/lose it makes for a decent winning team.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
To say either the backs or the forwards win games is simplistic rubbish. I have played in a grand final where we dominated up front, but our backs were simply unable to capitalise. Our opponents won the GF with 40% of the ball and backs that could turn every opportunity into points.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
To say either the backs or the forwards win games is simplistic rubbish. I have played in a grand final where we dominated up front, but our backs were simply unable to capitalise. Our opponents won the GF with 40% of the ball and backs that could turn every opportunity into points.
I can sympathise.

Every game I ever lost was because of the f@@@ing backs!!!!!

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Joe has Toole in the squad and has obviously been observing him. He’s no slouch of a coach so it is pretty obvious he has work ons. Until Potter was injured against Fiji this year, I thought he was definitely in Wallabies calculations. Big, fast, good tackler … needs some fine tuning though. Joe obviously agrees.
The thing is, all our players have work ons. All I’m saying is we are gonna regret not capping him

Yoda

Ron Walden (29)
There was a bit of chat about this on the 8-9 podcast, Harry Jones isn't always worth listening too, but on this I think he's probably right.

These days being a fast elusive runner is about 1/3 of a winger's job. If you can't effectively take a high ball, and secure ruck ball as required then you are missing out on another 1/3%.

And the final 1/3 is the defensive line. These days a winger has to be able to stop an attacker. The places to hide defenders are usually occupied by the playmakers.

It's the latter 2/3rds where Toole needs to improve
Harry Jones is in awe of himself usually, however I do agree with : “These days being a fast elusive runner is about 1/3 of a winger's job. If you can't effectively take a high ball, and secure ruck ball as required then you are missing out on another 1/3%.” Best winger in the world now is Cheslin Kolbe. He has everything. Toole needs to watch videos of him and copy that if he can.

Yoda

Ron Walden (29)
Forwards provide the platform and backs ice the game. So, yes both have to achieve dominance. As I said though, if your forwards are not securing ruck ball or turn it over constantly, it is hard work being a back, especially a 10.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Getting capped really just drives up your value/asking price for overseas contracts anyway.
Depends on the competition they're signing to (and probably the age of the player). Squad limitations around foreign payers mean there is often more interest in an uncapped player than a couple of cap Wallaby because it limits how they can be used for two player roughly equal in ability. Even worse an Australia A cap, which locks you in but doesn't really come with much more in the way of clout.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I would’ve thought the opposite.
No, because if you have a cap, you're probably an above average player. But, now that you have a cap and playing overseas, the chances of you being picked for an international comp is low/not happening meaning you're available to play more local games.

Tazzmania

Bob Loudon (25)
For TT as reported on Nine world Wide of Sport:

"..... A solid, if injury curtailed, debut Super Rugby Pacific season in Perth then caught the attention of Wallabies coach Joe Schmidt.

"We earmarked Harry probably around the middle of Super Rugby," Schmidt told reporters after naming 34 players for the four Test, Grand Slam Spring Tour.

"I was at a Brumbies game with (assistant coach) Laurie Fisher and we both thought Harry was really good on the day.

"He shone on the day and he picked up an injury on the back of that very involvement, I think the very next game, and was out for a fair period of time.

"I watched his involvements in Bloemfontein with the Force, having played over there recently in the Toyota Cup and felt that

a) he was back in the groove and

b) a bit of versatility. He played 13 as well as on the wing.

And so it's an opportunity for us to bring him into the squad and get to know him a little bit."
...."