• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
He played 13 against Emerging Ireland and the Cheetahs for the Force in the last couple of weeks. As per KOB, I reckon it's pretty likely he is the back-up/opposed training 13 up against Ikitau.
He also played 13 a handful of times for Leicester, so it's something he has been building towards and should be able to fill the role in trianing. That said in terms of match day selection he's probably more of a bench utility covering wing, 13 and 15 in a pinch, and no higher than the 3rd string as a starting 13 in that squad (after whichever of Paisami/Kerevi doesn't start). After the A tour is done there might be a reshuffling, but that's all going to be influenced by performances.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The captaincy thing is a bit strange. It speaks volumes of where we are at the moment. Don't really know who our starters are, don't really have a McCaw/Kolisi-esque central figure to rally around.

I struggle to have a strong opinion on the best leaders given it's such a training/behind the scenes/dressing room thing that we can't possibly know. But I liked Wilson's ref management skills during the RC so that surely counts for something.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For the Edmed fan base, it would be wise to remember the NPC is a level below Sujper Rugby in NZ. How many players have jumped from NPC level into the ABs without proving they can handle Super Rugby along the way? I suspect it is likely to be zero, or very close to it.

Apparently Tane had a good NPC experience but he has not set the world on fire for the Tahs. It would be asking too much to expect him to suddenly be the one we've been looking for to fill the Wallaby No 10 spot. But I wish him the best if he does get a chance, None of the other options has really stepped up over the past couple of years, including young Lynagh at the Reds.
Correct. But also the mere fact that good NPC form has him with a shout of selection shows how utterly trash our 10s are.

Last edited:

Cookie Cutter

Frank Row (1)
The captaincy thing is a bit strange. It speaks volumes of where we are at the moment. Don't really know who our starters are, don't really have a McCaw/Kolisi-esque central figure to rally around.

I struggle to have a strong opinion on the best leaders given it's such a training/behind the scenes/dressing room thing that we can't possibly know. But I liked Wilson's ref management skills during the RC so that surely counts for something.
If it was between McWreight and Wilson, McWreight is the better at ref management; leading by example (in training and playing);inspiring team mates; and smarter rugby nous/game management. With respect to rugby, Harry is only better than Fraser at line out jumping. Both are nice guys.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
one game against a middling Currie Cup team is enough to get him from nowhere into the Wallabies?

I think it's reasonable to assume that if we didn't have the XV tour at the same time, a few of the players in that squad would replace players at the back end of the Wallabies squad (probably including Potter).

Reactions: TSR

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If it was between McWreight and Wilson, McWreight is the better at ref management; leading by example (in training and playing);inspiring team mates; and smarter rugby nous/game management. With respect to rugby, Harry is only better than Fraser at line out jumping. Both are nice guys.
This and all the other McReight love is strange. How do you know that he inspires his team mates, and leads by example at training? I doubt you've played with him - you can't even spell his name correctly. That said, if you were in fact a Queensland Red then I suppose some mis-spellings are to be expected, so play on.

He's great. What a player. But the willingness of a few here to crown him is a bit much. I haven't seen anything on field that screams to me he's some amazing leader. The fact Schmidt hasn't crowned him either is also somewhat telling.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
one game against a middling Currie Cup team is enough to get him from nowhere into the Wallabies?

Two games, against the Cheetahs and Emerging Ireland… two more than zero.

It’s also possible that Schmidt has been following his career for longer, when he was playing in a premiership winning Leicester team.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
This and all the other McReight love is strange. How do you know that he inspires his team mates, and leads by example at training? I doubt you've played with him - you can't even spell his name correctly. That said, if you were in fact a Queensland Red then I suppose some mis-spellings are to be expected, so play on.

He's great. What a player. But the willingness of a few here to crown him is a bit much. I haven't seen anything on field that screams to me he's some amazing leader. The fact Schmidt hasn't crowned him either is also somewhat telling.
I get what you're saying, but the alternatives currently are a loose head prop not good enough to make the team, a tighthead prop not good enough to make the team, a number 8 that may not be good enough to start or the backup halfback

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Two games, against the Cheetahs and Emerging Ireland… two more than zero.

It’s also possible that Schmidt has been following his career for longer, when he was playing in a premiership winning Leicester team.
Which is why he didn't select him in any previous squads...

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Possibly because he has only just returned from six months off due to a syndesmosis injury…
He was never put on the unavailable list. Even Harry Johnson-Homes made that list

I hope he goes well, but I find it absurd that they refuse to give Toole even a chance after being our form winger in super rugby for the last 2 years

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think we're going to see essentially Joe's vision of his best 23 for the Lions.

Assuming Skelton is a straight starter, who are the other two locks from Frost/Salakaia-Loto/Williams?

I think the next best lock is Salakaia-Loto and then Williams with Frost out of the 23. Though I'd prefer Williams in tight for the first 50-60 then Salakaia-Loto off the bench when things get loose. 4. Williams 5. Skelton 18. Salakaia-Loto.

Though of course with Skelton's landboundness, we might see Salakaia-Loto at 6 instead of Wilson, Valetini back at 8.

Also, assuming Kerevi comes straight into 12. Ikitau at 13. Koroibete is gone so Kellaway and who on the wing? I'd prefer Jorgensen but wouldn't be surprised to see the more robust Pietsch starting.

I would want: 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 11/14: Kellaway/Jorgensen 15. Wright 23. Pietsch.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not really surprised we've gone through a few captains this year as it's pretty much what Schmidt predicted from the outset as he's worked through settling on his squad.

But his first pick hasn't played since the first test of the year, and he's obviously been relying on who from his wider leadership group has been available to play.

Wilson didn't appear to be a part of the 23 until the Georgia test, and somewhat fell into the captaincy, but may or may not be a starter going forward after his form in the Bledisloe and depending on who else is available to start.

It is possible McReight may have taken on the captaincy if not for being injured leading into the RC, and does firm as a good choice going forward as a guaranteed starter... but, who knows?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I get what you're saying, but the alternatives currently are a loose head prop not good enough to make the team, a tighthead prop not good enough to make the team, a number 8 that may not be good enough to start or the backup halfback
I find this interesting. Joe has picked Wilson when available. When he was with Ireland he had CJ Stander as his 8 for most game, Wilson offers a lot of the same.