• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Joe has Toole in the squad and has obviously been observing him. He’s no slouch of a coach so it is pretty obvious he has work ons. Until Potter was injured against Fiji this year, I thought he was definitely in Wallabies calculations. Big, fast, good tackler … needs some fine tuning though. Joe obviously agrees.
Dont agree, his missed heaps of tries down his wing. His also hasn't had the best hands or high ball control. Most of what I saw was he was exciting, though he has had lots of high lights that always seem to end with the ball given to the other team or a try against. He also ain't playing no crash ball. But I trust Joe's picking so gotta trust the experts, and I hope he shoots the shit out of it, and well done for showing enough to be picked.

Can't wait for the Andrew Kellaway Harry Potter should be Australia 15.

JRugby2

Billy Sheehan (19)
Think this might be the reference?

Super rugby regular season finishes 31 May. GF probably 21 Jun. 1st Lions test is 19 July. Not much room for a Wallaby game in there

Maybe he gets selected for the AUNZ XV at Adelaide Oval on the 12 July?
Roar pod has spoken about RA's efforts to organise a warm up test pre lions against someone - but nothing confirmed. I suspect Schmidt is talking about (and advocating for) that game rather than the XV game

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
As for the captaincy questions, Harry Wilson still sounds like he has it, but no guarantee;
During a wide-ranging press conference on Tuesday, Schmidt told reporters Wilson would remain a key leader but stopped short of guaranteeing his captaincy with a number of former skippers - Skelton, James Slipper, Allan Ala'alatoa and Tate McDermott - all in contention.

"Liam (Wright) is still suffering with that shoulder - we're not quite sure where it is at the moment but we know he's not ready to tour and hopefully that is a temporary setback. It's massively disappointing for Liam," Schmidt said.

"We've got a few in the leadership group of which Harry is one now. It's not something we've actually talked about yet but I think Harry would be one of the standout characters likely to be involved in leadership."

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
As for the captaincy questions, Harry Wilson still sounds like he has it, but no guarantee;
Yeah suspect if Liam was there he'd be 6 and Captian and Valetini at 8, can you really run a Skelton, Frost, Wilson, McReight, Valetini lineout, think we would get murdered, no matter how good Harry's been there. He then loses out to someone who can jump better.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Roar pod has spoken about RA's efforts to organise a warm up test pre lions against someone - but nothing confirmed. I suspect Schmidt is talking about (and advocating for) that game rather than the XV game
I wonder what the thinking is? There wouldn't be many options. Need a team willing to travel all this way to play one match outside the test window.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder what the thinking is? There wouldn't be many options. Need a team willing to travel all this way to play one match outside the test window.
Might depend who they're lining up to replace the rebels in the midweek game - a chance to play the lions would be a very big carrot for most sides

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
No, because if you have a cap, you're probably an above average player. But, now that you have a cap and playing overseas, the chances of you being picked for an international comp is low/not happening meaning you're available to play more local games.
I get the logic - but if you look at OS teams I think they are happy to back their own player assessments models and their ability to develop talent regardless of whether or not a player is a Wallaby. There are also some differences in style which make some players more attractive to French rugby in particular.

Being a capped Wallaby does add some market pressure in terms of what they can command without having to go OS but I get the impression that there is enough disparity between relative wages that that is only a factor with a few of the best players - ie not so much with a player getting their first cap.

So even though they might rarely get called on I suspect the prospect that they could be would be a deterrent. May well be wrong though.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Our opponents have named Sione Tuipulotu as captain of Scotland. Pretty amazing, wonder what the Braveheart speech sounds like in a strong Frankston accent.

they’ve also name his brother Mosese in the squad. Surely we have to beat Scotland, Mosese couldn’t even crack the Waratahs.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our opponents have named Sione Tuipulotu as captain of Scotland. Pretty amazing, wonder what the Braveheart speech sounds like in a strong Frankston accent.

they’ve also name his brother Mosese in the squad. Surely we have to beat Scotland, Mosese couldn’t even crack the Waratahs.
They are just 2 more examples of players getting infinitely better once they leave Australia and join actual professional environments with expectation

I keep hearing "we don't have the cattle", yet our cattle seem to be pretty valued around the world

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Moese looked like a future star in a trial match down here against a Brumbies selection a couple of years ago. Absolutely bossed the backline. The fact he couldn't get game time at the Tahs and wasn't picked up by any of the other provinces speaks volumes, to me at least, about the poor talent identification here in this country. He will likely do the same as his brother and represent Scotland at the very highest levels in short time. Echoes of Mack Hanson, also.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Moese looked like a future star in a trial match down here against a Brumbies selection a couple of years ago. Absolutely bossed the backline. The fact he couldn't get game time at the Tahs and wasn't picked up by any of the other provinces speaks volumes, to me at least, about the poor talent identification here in this country. He will likely do the same as his brother and represent Scotland at the very highest levels in short time. Echoes of Mack Hanson, also.
Exactly. We have just spent the last month bemoaning the complete lack of big midfielders in the country, yet we let young guys like this walk away from Australian rugby