• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Our lineout also recently disintegrated with Frost, Arnold, Leota, Hooper and Valetini on the field.

But there's that good coach caveat.

If Skelton is who we need to stop opposition driving mauls off lineouts, then you do whatever it takes to pick him

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And correct me if I'm wrong, but both Valetini and Wilson seemed to be used more as jumpers in the last test; Wilson almost as a primary target. So, (say) Frost and Wilson (or Cale as replacement) as the primary targets, Valetini as third jumper and Skelton himself as a surprise. Would it work?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think people are wildly overstating how much other selections would change or how much our game plan would change on the basis of selecting Skelton.

In my view it only limit you from selecting a Pooper type combination in the backrow which is clearly not at all on the horizon because we no longer have an issue where our best two forwards are both 7s.
Yeah - maybe. I mean if one of your best players has 2-3 successive 6 months injuries (Bell for example) you’d still pick him, right? I do think the fact Skelton rarely jumps is an issue but everything’s a trade off. We could certainly benefit from his work with the defensive maul.

I just feel like we get caught up with these OS guys being the savour and talk some up far too much. And then they play and it’s apparent time and time again that being good in European club rugby is no different to being good at Siper Rugby. It’s great and all but it doesn’t automatically make you a star at test level.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
And correct me if I'm wrong, but both Valetini and Wilson seemed to be used more as jumpers in the last test; Wilson almost as a primary target. So, (say) Frost and Wilson (or Cale as replacement) as the primary targets, Valetini as third jumper and Skelton himself as a surprise. Would it work?
If I recall last year there was a test where I think we played Frost & Skelton together. And I think we just threw to Frost all game lifted by Skelton and it was fine.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
If I recall last year there was a test where I think we played Frost & Skelton together. And I think we just threw to Frost all game lifted by Skelton and it was fine.
It would have either been the game where we got flogged by South Africa, or the one where we were flogged by New Zealand

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Derpus is right, if we play Skelton we have to be all in. We need to adjust the team to accommodate his strengths and weaknesses. The fact he plays OS means we don’t have him all the time, so do we change our game plan around him when he’s available? Or find a Skelton style giant (there’s not many out there) to keep a consistent game plan?
The reality is that Skelton, at LaR, is a part of arguably the strongest pack in world club rugby playing forwards-dominated rugby. He carries, he links, he's a cog in a powerful machine. A game the Wallabies simply don't - and probably can't - play. Comparing him to the likes of Retallick is pointless. He's a lock in name only.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I think people are wildly overstating how much other selections would change or how much our game plan would change on the basis of selecting Skelton.

In my view it only limit you from selecting a Pooper type combination in the backrow which is clearly not at all on the horizon because we no longer have an issue where our best two forwards are both 7s.

I think that the selections we have available, and likely to select, no longer make a big impediment on bringing Big Will back. I don't know his form, or his desire, but I do think he is a serious option in 2024.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I think that the selections we have available, and likely to select, no longer make a big impediment on bringing Big Will back. I don't know his form, or his desire, but I do think he is a serious option in 2024.
Of course he is. Look at our stock currently. Skelton being talked down in our landscape seems crazy when Blyth is currently a Wallaby lock. Theyve won their games which is great but you can't tell me big Will isnt an upgrade if available. Other options looked over like Swain who is a walking brain fart and Rodda who's made of glass. Skelton is the type of big man we need in a pack to take on the top sides and the Lions.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Of course he is. Look at our stock currently. Skelton being talked down in our landscape seems crazy when Blyth is currently a Wallaby lock. Theyve won their games which is great but you can't tell me big Will isnt an upgrade if available. Other options looked over like Swain who is a walking brain fart and Rodda who's made of glass. Skelton is the type of big man we need in a pack to take on the top sides and the Lions.
The other bit about Skelton is the work he does in support and offloading. His hands are pretty good and he try assists on several occasions I have watched him play. Another thing about him is his strength in the tight, It is fine having a good front row but they aren't doing much if the pressure behind them is poor.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was reported in the Nine papers on July 21 that the squad would be announced in about "two weeks"...

That would seem to align up with the squad being announced likely later this week after the 7's is completed.

I assume they don't want to take any attention away from our women's efforts.

Reactions: TSR

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I wouldn't think reading a squad list would make people incapable of watching the Olympics. If this is seriously the reason RA need to give their head's a wobble
We're also presuming that no-one internally has been told if they're in/out.

Looking at Taniela's IG, he was training with Zane at Balleymore yesterday so it's not like the players are all sitting on the couch waiting for the phone to call.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
It was reported in the Nine papers on July 21 that the squad would be announced in about "two weeks"...

That would seem to align up with the squad being announced likely later this week after the 7's is completed.

I assume they don't want to take any attention away from our women's efforts.
I wouldn't think reading a squad list would make people incapable of watching the Olympics. If this is seriously the reason RA need to give their head's a wobble
If consideration of the 7s were the reason for delaying the squad announcement, I'd assume it would be simply to stretch out the pipeline of rugby media by another week, as opposed to overshadowing the brilliant performance.