• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Bigger, stronger, taller, Wallaby. NSW-man. OK I agree with your premise.

It's irrelevant to my point though. Skel could very well play on for quite some time.
You forgot... nowhere near as good.

Skelton has been on the Test scene for a decade and has never been considered in the elite level of guys like Etzebeth, Whitelock, Itoje or Rettalick but you're comparing him to one of the best AB locks in the modern era - a guy who was known for his work ethic and intense dedication to his conditioning and fitness.

Unless Skelton becomes one of the top 5 international locks in the next year maybe 2, the Wallabies would be better developing one of the young guys.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
TBF there are not that many in Australia like us. Its highly unlikely a Wallaby announcement will steal the limelight from anything, let alone the Olympic Games.
I'll rephrase - I reckon they want the Aus rugby viewing public to focus on the 7s at the Olympics rather than an obscure squad selection/omission. I expect the announcement to be the day the girls are done with.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
The RA, sorry Rugby Sevens delegates and officials, people needed to sign off on the squad, probably need to finish their Parisian junket before we get an announcement

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
RA holding back the Wobs announcement because of some 7s games being played at midnight which most Aussie's only care about if we win gold?

Seems a stretch. I think they are just late to the party.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
RA holding back the Wobs announcement because of some 7s games being played at midnight which most Aussie's only care about if we win gold?

Seems a stretch. I think they are just late to the party.
We always seem to announce squads later than other sides.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You forgot... nowhere near as good.

Skelton has been on the Test scene for a decade and has never been considered in the elite level of guys like Etzebeth, Whitelock, Itoje or Rettalick but you're comparing him to one of the best AB locks in the modern era - a guy who was known for his work ethic and intense dedication to his conditioning and fitness.

Unless Skelton becomes one of the top 5 international locks in the next year maybe 2, the Wallabies would be better developing one of the young guys.
I think that is a reflection of the international team Skelton plays for rather his individual abilities

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think that is a reflection of the international team Skelton plays for rather his individual abilities
It is a bit odd FP, when you think of a standard International lock you think of leaping in lineouts. He doesn't do that but what he does do apart from that is amongst the best in the world.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Skelton is good. But to suggest he isn’t as good as Retallack, Itoje, Etzebeth, Whitlock etc because he plays for the Wallabies rather than because of his own limitations is rubbish.

Edit: not to say he shouldn’t be picked for that reason. None of our other locks are either.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Skelton is good. But to suggest he isn’t as good as Retallack, Itoje, Etzebeth, Whitlock etc because he plays for the Wallabies rather than because of his own limitations is rubbish.

Edit: not to say he shouldn’t be picked for that reason. None of our other locks are either.
TSR, I disagree but not for the RC. We have some excellent locks coming through and I am sure by 2027 we will have a pair of highly competitive locks. Any of these could be in the mix Smith, Frost. Faifua, Blyth. Swain and Rodda should at or near their peak at 30.
Williams has all the skills and speed will be interesting to see how he goes.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It's still inconsistent with both SA and NZ KOB, both of whom are also in contention in the 7s at the Olympics.
They don't have to contend with the media hype of 2 other winter codes and the Matildas limping home against the 64th ranked nation in a pool game. They'll be hoping to use the girls as leverage to get a bit of attention on the code and make the announcement on Thursday after the medals are decided. It's academic to the players, they already know and are in camp training.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Gonna do my own 36 man squad (as per nz) - not going wild with overseas.

Hk: BPA, Faessler, Porecki
Pr: Bell, Slipper, Hodgman, Thor, Ala'alatoa, Nonggoor
Lk: Skelton, Frost, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth
BR: Wright, Mcreight, Valetini, Leota, Wilson, Hooper, Williams

HB: White, Mcdermott, Gordon
FH: Donaldson, Lolesio, Lynagh
Cn: Paisami, Kerevi, Ikitau, Flook, Daugunu
OB: Kellaway, Wright, Lancaster, Koroibete, Toole

However wouldn't mind an experienced playmaker in and around the squad - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Quade or Beale (if fit)

This is super solid, don't think I'd make much in the way of adjustments. If you had a reduce a couple maybe you drop an outside back (Lancaster) and a back rower (Wright/Hooper/Williams/Leota).

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
So he puts on a Wallabies jersey and it magically makes him walk from ruck to ruck? The guys great in his limited way that suits the grind of European rugby. He’s never been as effective in the SH.
Is this just reflecting that the Wallaby coaches haven't worked out a way to utilise him?
This is super solid, don't think I'd make much in the way of adjustments. If you had a reduce a couple maybe you drop an outside back (Lancaster) and a back rower (Wright/Hooper/Williams/Leota).

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Isn't it a bit of both? I think to really get the most from a player like Skelton you need to gear your team appropriately and the Wallabies have never really done that (not suggesting we should have done this).

But then again - if your team has to compensate for an aspect of your play you probably aren't going to be considered one of the greats.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
TSR, I disagree but not for the RC. We have some excellent locks coming through and I am sure by 2027 we will have a pair of highly competitive locks. Any of these could be in the mix Smith, Frost. Faifua, Blyth. Swain and Rodda should at or near their peak at 30.
Williams has all the skills and speed will be interesting to see how he goes.
I’m happy to go with Schmidt’s judgement. I think he showed last year he provided a point of difference for us in our pack but we still have to change other players to accommodate him and I’m not sure it’s worth it for a player who is only available for half our tests. I don’t personally believe he is that far ahead of our other locks, but if Schmidt thinks so then great.

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Isn't it a bit of both? I think to really get the most from a player like Skelton you need to gear your team appropriately and the Wallabies have never really done that (not suggesting we should have done this).

But then again - if your team has to compensate for an aspect of your play you probably aren't going to be considered one of the greats.
Not really.

I get the point you are making and I agree Skelton would look better in a better team.

But Skelton has never shown anything at test level to suggest he is up with guys like Retallack & Etzebeth. Not even close. These guys were dominant from a young ages and have been consistently excellent at Test Rugby for a decade.

At the end of the day though Skelton still has one hell of an impressive resume as a pro footballer. I just don’t understand why he needs to be made out to be something he isn’t.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Derpus is right, if we play Skelton we have to be all in. We need to adjust the team to accommodate his strengths and weaknesses. The fact he plays OS means we don’t have him all the time, so do we change our game plan around him when he’s available? Or find a Skelton style giant (there’s not many out there) to keep a consistent game plan?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think people are wildly overstating how much other selections would change or how much our game plan would change on the basis of selecting Skelton.

In my view it only limit you from selecting a Pooper type combination in the backrow which is clearly not at all on the horizon because we no longer have an issue where our best two forwards are both 7s.