• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
10 Wallabies debuts across the 3 tests so far this year.

The average age for the team v Georgia was 25. Six players were 23 or younger.
If you think that rugby development in schools is producing a good flow of players with decent skills you need to get out more and see the reality in schools and club land.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
You touch the head, your'e gone. That's Rugby now and whilst frustrating it's not going to revert. I just hope they don't move towards the upper chest garbage being called in grade rugby atm. I can accept the head being a no go zone but some genuine top shots are now being called dangerous.

If you think that rugby development in schools is producing a good flow of players with decent skills you need to get out more and see the reality in schools and club land.
I disagree with this. I see a lot of it and the skill level, physical development is top notch at the Schools level. Club is relatively consistent with what it's been for a long time although players aren't hanging around as long which does make the game a bit less combative IMO. It's the gap between the FT pros and Uni student Club players where we aren't taking them to required level.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You touch the head, your'e gone. That's Rugby now and whilst frustrating it's not going to revert. I just hope they don't move towards the upper chest garbage being called in grade rugby atm. I can accept the head being a no go zone but some genuine top shots are now being called dangerous.

I disagree with this. I see a lot of it and the skill level, physical development is top notch at the Schools level. Club is relatively consistent with what it's been for a long time although players aren't hanging around as long which does make the game a bit less combative IMO. It's the gap between the FT pros and Uni student Club players where we aren't taking them to required level.
Ghost, I have not been in touch with the guys from Subbies for about 2 years but the club I coached at has gone along with a few others and the number of essential teams required to form a club has been reduced. Schools, you may have a better idea than me but a couple of developers who were supporting school rugby has given it away due to the loss of government schools not playing anymore. I assume you are talking about the private schools and I have no idea what govt. schools in the city are doing.

My old club is still running 4 grades + Colts 1 & 2 v 5 + 3 colts in my day but still OK.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Ghost, I have not been in touch with the guys from Subbies for about 2 years but the club I coached at has gone along with a few others and the number of essential teams required to form a club has been reduced. Schools, you may have a better idea than me but a couple of developers who were supporting school rugby has given it away due to the loss of government schools not playing anymore. I assume you are talking about the private schools and I have no idea what govt. schools in the city are doing.

My old club is still running 4 grades + Colts 1 & 2 v 5 + 3 colts in my day but still OK.
Drifting of course for this thread but yes Subbies standard is sliding in the lower divisions but I think its common with a lot of sports with guys not hanging around as long or floating down from premier clubs when they get a bit older and squeeze a few more years out.

Gov schools have definitely disappeared (at least in NSW) besides a few kids in Sports Highs. The CHS sides aren't competitive with the other associations like they once were.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Drifting of course for this thread but yes Subbies standard is sliding in the lower divisions but I think its common with a lot of sports with guys not hanging around as long or floating down from premier clubs when they get a bit older and squeeze a few more years out.

Gov schools have definitely disappeared (at least in NSW) besides a few kids in Sports Highs. The CHS sides aren't competitive with the other associations like they once were.
Huge relevance for the Wallabies but not in 2024.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bigger, stronger, taller, Wallaby. NSW-man. OK I agree with your premise.

It's irrelevant to my point though. Skel could very well play on for quite some time.
Dru, in our world of bringing in a limited number of OS players I am amazed that many here are not keen on Skelton, a better alternative has not been suggested. We go very well when we have a strong if not dominant pack.
At this time we have a good backrow (thanks be to whoever hangs around up there), but our tight 5 will be shown up by SA/NZ unless we go flat out for 80 mins which I've not seen since Perth v AB's.
Skelton and whoever Schmidt thinks can hold the other side up with Frost on the bench will work for me. Then all we need is a solid front row - BPA, TT, Bell (when fit) could give us a very competitive pack. Most probably not this year but in 2025 I am expecting a big lift from the forwards.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Continuing on the theme of overseas based players who might be in contention for the Wallabies during TRC and EOYT, Skelton, Koroibete and Kerevi (if fit) are obvious, but I think any of Sio, Simone and Jack Maddocks would offer value if we're running short in their respective positions (and if they are in some sort of good form).

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Continuing on the theme of overseas based players who might be in contention for the Wallabies during TRC and EOYT, Skelton, Koroibete and Kerevi (if fit) are obvious, but I think any of Sio, Simone and Jack Maddocks would offer value if we're running short in their respective positions (and if they are in some sort of good form).
Short at centre so maybe Simone. Always thought he got done kinda dirty by Dave - debut against the ABs in an unsettled backline and then ditched completely.