• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Have they done that though? As far as I'm aware they built much of the core of this team while they were playing together in South Africa and have kept the together as they've moved away, that's very different from choosing an overseas star in the later half of their career that you have limited access to and constructing things around them. Arguably SA are about to have to start working it out to (or repeating the process with a local core) given the current age profile of their team.
Yeah fair point. Guess we'll see as that team continues to age.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are we forgetting Italy lost to NZ 96-17 less than a year ago and just lost to Samoa?

These rankings are flawed as anything. And has nothing to do with player talent pools. Italy have some good players, but would Monty Ioane make the Wallabies?
I suppose not. But I think my broad point remains.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Putting aside that Will is one of the best locks going around and O/S, he is also 32 years old.

I don't think he is at the stage of his career and life where the Wallabies can afford to build a team around him. However, in saying that, I think it is worthwhile keeping him in the team.

In a team where we have struggled to put in two good games in a row, I think Will should be able to contribute helping the young players understand how to perform at a high level based on Will's prolonged success in Europe vs how he played in Australia.

32? For a lock? How old was Thorn when he retired? 38? 40?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Are we forgetting Italy lost to NZ 96-17 less than a year ago and just lost to Samoa?

These rankings are flawed as anything. And has nothing to do with player talent pools. Italy have some good players, but would Monty Ioane make the Wallabies?
They are reasonable, we are good when we have our full side, we are shit when the lessor iterations are put out, our talent pool is very, very shallow at the moment

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They are reasonable, we are good when we have our full side, we are shit when the lessor iterations are put out, our talent pool is very, very shallow at the moment
And we are bleeding players with limited new stocks coming through into the International level, skills and experience are sorely missing.

Tomthumb

Alan Cameron (40)
I think our talent pool is pretty good all things considered. If countries like Ireland, Scotland, Italy etc. lost the amount of players overseas that we did they would struggle terribly. Guys like Mack Hansen, Jack Dempsey, Finley Bealham show that players that cant really dominate here are more than talented enough to be world class overseas

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
If Skelton opts out I would like to see Staniforth brought in by Schmidt to see how me measures up. Was in the team of the season for Top 14, been killing it up there for many years. Need a way to see if he’s worth the hype.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If Skelton opts out I would like to see Staniforth brought in by Schmidt to see how me measures up. Was in the team of the season for Top 14, been killing it up there for many years. Need a way to see if he’s worth the hype.
I'm not sure they'll be too quick to amend the Giteau law to make him eligible, given Schmidt's cautious approach to picking overseas talent. More chance of that happening for the EOYT if they go down that path.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I hope he takes detailed notes during the "how to charge the ball down" section of the coaching intervention. I bet that part will be extensive and full of useful and relevant information

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I hope he takes detailed notes during the "how to charge the ball down" section of the coaching intervention. I bet that part will be extensive and full of useful and relevant information
Section 1: How To Charge The Ball Down

See the following example of World Rugby's Infinitely Superior Charge Down Technique™ that we expect you to use in future. For those students named Filipo, please note the rearward protrusion of the legs.

Section complete.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm glad he's able to play but it's a bit of a farce when you can just say "I was going to play club" and that counts as the ban....
I'm good with it, the Kiwis set the precedent years ago with some garbage about a senior All Black (SBW maybe?) allegedly was going to to be released to go and play in a 7s tournament or something so they took a week off for that.