• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought one of the lessons of the miserable Jones era was that Skelton is one of the few genuinely world class players we possess.

I understand why you'd put him on the bench, but if it were up to me I'd be starting him every game.
Not knocking Skelton but that wasn’t what I took out of it at all.

Jones seemed determined to prove everyone wrong by not following any sort of rational approach to coaching the national team. He had no consistency with player selections, took a completely illogical approach to coaching appointments, pushed out experience, picked guys who were injured and clearly weren’t fit for test rugby and used injury as a reason not to pick other guys who were, by all accounts, fit to play when it mattered. Tactically he was open and vocal about what he didn’t want but, based on some of the player comments, appeared vague and poorly defined about what he did. He did introduce some young guys to test rugby but, for the most part, that seems to have done at least as much harm as good. And the whole time he publicly made the whole thing a circus which, if you’re generous you could say was designed to take pressure off the players but, in reality made then unwilling participants to a circus.

I don’t really think anything of value could be taken out of Jones tenor. Particularly in relation to assessing the capacity of the players involved.

Edit- although in saying all that the fact Skelton was able to perform is a credit to him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The team would definitely be stronger with his inclusion, but you'd feel more comfortable if there was another strong lineout option in the backrow starting with him which is the luxury he has in France... and Eddie played Tom Hooper at 6 or 7 last year.

But you'd be hesitant to change last week's backrow after all three put in a strong performance.

Wilson did take a few throws, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Wright, Cale, or a couple of the other lock/6 options in the squad.

Anyways, that's Schmidt's dilemma... in general play Skelton is above and beyond the current squad options.

I think you'd need to be thinking LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or maybe Uru at 6 if starting Skelton. Does Frost call the lineout?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
You’d assume Frost was calling against Georgia wouldn’t you? I believe Blyth has called for the Reds but Frost seems more likely. Can’t imagine it was Wilson or Valetini.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you'd need to be thinking LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or maybe Uru at 6 if starting Skelton. Does Frost call the lineout?

I can't imagine either LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Uru will be playing 6...

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is far better suited to playing lock, and Uru doesn't seem to be in favour... although that might changes with injuries to Wright and Leota, but I'd say there's others in the squad already ahead of him.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I can't imagine either LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Uru will be playing 6...

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is far better suited to playing lock, and Uru doesn't seem to be in favour... although that might changes with injuries to Wright and Leota, but I'd say there's others in the squad already ahead of him.
Uru was great for the Reds - I'd have him in the squad at least. Probably be Hooper as next 6 off the rank no?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Won’t be surprised if he comes into the squad but you’d assume Gleeson or Hooper both in front of him in the pecking order, wouldn’t you? Plus the option to push Williams to 6.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd like to see Flook in the 23 jersey to cover centre and wing.
For a 6-2 or 5-3 bench?

If Daugunu and/or Kellaway are starting I'm not sure Flook offers much more coverage, given both of them and Paisami are all also options at 13. If we're going 6-2 then it probably needs to be either Stewart or Donaldson from the current squad, or O'Connor from outside of it in the 23 jersey.

If it's 5-3 then there's a bit more room to move, and I agree, I much prefer Flook as a wing option to Pietsch or Lancaster. He may also be a candidate to start on the wing if Daugunu is suspended and Koroibete doesn't come into the squad.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would not be surprised if Flook is slated to start at 13. Williams is a good option to start at 6 if Wright is injured. Also Uru if Wright is not available. Uru was outstanding against Wales and has been for the whole year.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Was Daungunu not cited for his red card as I thought it was pretty much mandatory for any red card?
Yes, he'll have a mandatory trip to the judiciary from the red card. Whether or not that rules him out of any of the rugby championship remains to be seen. Either way Kellaway covers 13 and coverage at 10 and 12 is more important from the bench based on the rest of the backline we'll almost certainly run.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)

Jones seemed determined to prove everyone wrong by not following any sort of rational approach to coaching the national team. He had no consistency with player selections, took a completely illogical approach to coaching appointments, pushed out experience, picked guys who were injured and clearly weren’t fit for test rugby and used injury as a reason not to pick other guys who were, by all accounts, fit to play when it mattered. Tactically he was open and vocal about what he didn’t want but, based on some of the player comments, appeared vague and poorly defined about what he did. He did introduce some young guys to test rugby but, for the most part, that seems to have done at least as much harm as good. And the whole time he publicly made the whole thing a circus which, if you’re generous you could say was designed to take pressure off the players but, in reality made then unwilling participants to a circus.

I don’t really think anything of value could be taken out of Jones tenor. Particularly in relation to assessing the capacity of the players involved.

Edit- although in saying all that the fact Skelton was able to perform is a credit to him.
This is the best comment I’ve read on G&G. I fully supported Eddy at the start, like an idiot. I even purchased two of his books and feverishly read them thinking he really was going to create this new Wallaby dynasty.
I didn’t realise the circus master was simply juggling as many balls as he could until the one with the best payday landed in his pocket.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looks like Angus Bell is tracking well. Back training and a few weeks away from playing according to him on the KOKO podcast. Hope he is past his foot issues.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
This is the best comment I’ve read on G&G. I fully supported Eddy at the start, like an idiot. I even purchased two of his books and feverishly read them thinking he really was going to create this new Wallaby dynasty.
I didn’t realise the circus master was simply juggling as many balls as he could until the one with the best payday landed in his pocket.
I was disappointed they ditched Rennie but, sadly, I also thought Jones would do a good job and defended his record as a coach.

Clearly should’ve reminded myself of his record as Reds coach.

Yoda

Syd Malcolm (24)

Very accurate summation of the second coming of Eddie Jones there TSR. His coaching assistants? Jason Ryles was the best. Chosen as an attack coach with no real rugby Union attack experience. Berrick Barnes would have been a better choice and was a kicking coach while in Australia before team left. It was all astonishingly bad. Good news though is that Schmidt seems the complete opposite. Calm, experienced… has a plan… and is backing the young blokes… and CAN COACH!!

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
I have two observations to make

When a new coach takes over the players try to be complimentary to the new coach by bagging out the old one. The players have been tight lipped about EJ (Eddie Jones). Is this from the Kiwi/Irish coach. Example is Allan Alaatoa on Monday's Experts.

The difference between 9 Media (SMH) and News Corp. SMH highlighting the good (Short quick tight passing leading to tries) the green shoots of early in the match. While News Corp that there is nothing of value and Wallabies to be destroyed by Boks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The difference between 9 Media (SMH) and News Corp. SMH highlighting the good (Short quick tight passing leading to tries) the green shoots of early in the match. While News Corp that there is nothing of value and Wallabies to be destroyed by Boks.

it is a sad position that Aus rugby finds itself in, on the back of plenty of issues, not supporting Rennie and the EJ (Eddie Jones) train crash being right up there. Surely though, a sober assessment will see the Wallabies defeating teams ranked 11 and 12 - at home. With those successes the Wallabies are at 78.96 points to Bokke with 93.11 points.

Schmidt has started well with 2 seconds of coaching before taking on the internationals with a new squad and a developing 23. They have had much more time to gel the 23 and better pull together game plan and strategy - BUT it is still very early days.

Even Argentina is ranked 7. The RC is going to be tough and there is a real danger that we could drop below Fiji in the rankings. We hope otherwise but I don't think we aught be surprised by negative assessments.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I don't really understand why Schmidt has had so little time with this team?

He was appointed in January, and started on 1 March. Why were their reports that he had met some players for the first time in July?

It makes no sense.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't really understand why Schmidt has had so little time with this team?

He was appointed in January, and started on 1 March. Why were their reports that he had met some players for the first time in July?

It makes no sense.

It does my head in too, Strewth. Schmidt was definitely talking to the Super coaching teams but there doesn't seem to have been much gathering of the troops. Anyway, onwards and upwards.