• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nice overview, EJ (Eddie Jones).
- Skelton is a 50/50% on returning to the Wallabies set-up as he weighs up taking a break from a long 24 months of rugby;

If that's the case, then I hope he doesn't get called up. Michael Hooper is right, Gotta be all in

Yes.... Look being 50/50 on making a decision is not mutually exclusive with being all-in when you make the call.

There are complexities and subtleties bringing Skelton into the team, I doubt that commitment once he lands in Australia is on the list. Right now we seem to be building some hooker depth that more-or-less has line-out throwing skills sorted (that is not a high bar, but we seem to have it in 2024). We've also been involving members of the loose forwards in jumping. I don't think it hard to imagine a primary and a back up jumper in 6 to 8. Or even a line-out solid enough to cope with finishing out the game with two jumpers. Plus of course Skelton has some limited value there.

It is early days for Schmidt leadership but the opportunity to build the line-out in a way that can cope with short term introduction of Skelton seems quite possible.

I don't think it necessary and I wouldn't be excited with him taking the captains armband, and there has been a long time where Skelton had huge impacts - BUT I don't see that story being the same at the moment.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It took Swinton about a season to recover from nerve damage to his shoulder - though I think it's the kind of injury that can vary in severity a lot. See also poor old Rob Horne.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Couldn't really have come at a worse time for Wright, presumably as he was trying to lock in a Wallaby top-up before re-signing with the Reds.

We start getting into some interesting ethical questions in these situations, where players are injured just before finishing up one contract and might need ~a year of rehab like Swinton did

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nice overview, EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones).

Yes.... Look being 50/50 on making a decision is not mutually exclusive with being all-in when you make the call.

There are complexities and subtleties bringing Skelton into the team, I doubt that commitment once he lands in Australia is on the list. Right now we seem to be building some hooker depth that more-or-less has line-out throwing skills sorted (that is not a high bar, but we seem to have it in 2024). We've also been involving members of the loose forwards in jumping. I don't think it hard to imagine a primary and a back up jumper in 6 to 8. Or even a line-out solid enough to cope with finishing out the game with two jumpers. Plus of course Skelton has some limited value there.

It is early days for Schmidt leadership but the opportunity to build the line-out in a way that can cope with short term introduction of Skelton seems quite possible.

I don't think it necessary and I wouldn't be excited with him taking the captains armband, and there has been a long time where Skelton had huge impacts - BUT I don't see that story being the same at the moment.
I have no issues bringing Skelton in as he adds another dimension to our forward play. I thought he was one of the few forwards who stood up in the RWC.
Kerevi if fit is essential.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
19 Skelton
20 Cale

Or even a 6-2 with
19 Skelton
20 - one of Leota/Wright/Hooper/Wilson (depending on who is fit and starting)
21 Cale

Seems like it could work pretty damn well. It would be a lot of carry power for an opposition to deal with over 80 mins.
I don't mind that, Skelton from the bench could be a very good option as part of the counter to the bomb squad.

Cauliflower Ear

Frank Nicholson (4)
19 Skelton
20 Cale

Or even a 6-2 with
19 Skelton
20 - one of Leota/Wright/Hooper/Wilson (depending on who is fit and starting)
21 Cale

Seems like it could work pretty damn well. It would be a lot of carry power for an opposition to deal with over 80 mins.
Like the idea of a 6-2 split given how versatile our backline players are, like Kellaway. Our depth in the back row is also one of our minimal/obvious strengths that should be made the most of.

scrans21

Ward Prentice (10)
I had a similar thought...

If we roll out the same backrow as the last test we can't start Skelton, and I wouldn't expect Schmidt to anyways for the next test if Skelton does commit...

So something along the lines of:

4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Frost
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson

19. Skelton
20. Cale / Williams
I'd be rolling out:

4. Skelton
5. Frost
6. Williams (Wright if he is fit)
7. McReight
8. Valetini

19. Salakai-Loto
20. Wilson

I think Cale's time will come but at this stage of his career he doesn't have enough bulk on him to really challenge the Boks and AB's. Even against the Welsh his lack of size saw him get battered a few times in defence. If Skelton is in the squad then you need to start him, with a recognised lineout jumper at 6. If he is fit then that is Liam Wright for me, but if not then it wouldn't shock me to see Jeremy Williams rolled out as the starting 6.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought one of the lessons of the miserable Jones era was that Skelton is one of the few genuinely world class players we possess.

I understand why you'd put him on the bench, but if it were up to me I'd be starting him every game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought one of the lessons of the miserable Jones era was that Skelton is one of the few genuinely world class players we possess.

I understand why you'd put him on the bench, but if it were up to me I'd be starting him every game.

The team would definitely be stronger with his inclusion, but you'd feel more comfortable if there was another strong lineout option in the backrow starting with him which is the luxury he has in France... and Eddie played Tom Hooper at 6 or 7 last year.

But you'd be hesitant to change last week's backrow after all three put in a strong performance.

Wilson did take a few throws, but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Wright, Cale, or a couple of the other lock/6 options in the squad.

Anyways, that's Schmidt's dilemma... in general play Skelton is above and beyond the current squad options.