• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Lolesio was better than him last year. Donaldson and Cooper didn’t play enough for a worthwhile comparison.

I think Lolesio was pretty average too.

The biggest things going in favour of selecting Foley in my view is that there's an expectation that giving him a full preparation will result in better results than last year (by the France and Ireland games he was in a better position to succeed than when he was first selected last year). The second and probably biggest one is that I'm expecting Cooper to be the starter and whoever is the backup is going to get minimal game time before the RWC and probably at the RWC. The preparation time will be invested in Cooper which I think makes selecting Carter Gordon really difficult this year.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
One thing I will say is that first Rennie & now a Jones saw value in including Foley. It would have been pretty easy not to. Maybe it is a case of the least worst option but from their comments they both seem to think he has something to offer at this level.

Good luck to him. I hope he kills it.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
One thing I will say is that first Rennie & now a Jones saw value in including Foley. It would have been pretty easy not to. Maybe it is a case of the least worst option but from their comments they both seem to think he has something to offer at this level.

Doran mentioned Foley's inclusion being primarily because he trains exceptionally well - it wouldn't surprise me if that's why Eddie's picked him in the leadership group too. Having someone who brings an added something (be it professionalism, intensity, leadership, etc.) to the training environment would understandably be a positive influence on the wider squad.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Doran mentioned Foley's inclusion being primarily because he trains exceptionally well - it wouldn't surprise me if that's why Eddie's picked him in the leadership group too. Having someone who brings an added something (be it professionalism, intensity, leadership, etc.) to the training environment would understandably be a positive influence on the wider squad.

Yeh it's not usually a concept that Australian footy fans are familiar with but having a 'glue guy' or positive influence in the playing group, even if they're out of form or not getting a run can be a big boost.

These guys are about to spend a large amount of time together as a group and even outside wins and losses, the morale and vibe of the squad will ebb and flow depending on training regimes, personal news and media influences. Foley might be very good at maintaining 'normality' within the playing group.

In saying that I've never met Foley or know anything about his personality or character traits but obviously he's viewed as a positive influence by the people that make these decisions.

Reactions: TSR

footy1>31

Charlie Fox (21)
Yeh it's not usually a concept that Australian footy fans are familiar with but having a 'glue guy' or positive influence in the playing group, even if they're out of form or not getting a run can be a big boost.

Tahs 2014 team was built on this. Nick Phipps, Wycliff Palu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCutcheon, TPN, Kepu, Dennis, Hooper all consumate pros. The build up to a World Cup way longer than a normal Wallaby test season so important to keep it professional, Eddie no mug and would recognise this. Cool their doing stuff in the public eye (main beach Coogee sessions) as opposed to another under pressure team the NSW Blues where access is pretty secretive and put up fences scared of micro edges getting out

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Almost every successful NRL team has had a couple of these types. You always need your stars but the blokes that just show up and do a reliable job are needed.

Besides cheating the Storm always had players like Hinchcliffe. Roosters had Aubusson etc etc

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Australia will win nothing if this is the approach. The team's average performance is not good enough to beat the top teams. They need to build towards the upside and hope it all clicks.
High risk, high reward - plays or selections - may win a game, but they won't win a World Cup

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia will win nothing if this is the approach. The team's average performance is not good enough to beat the top teams. They need to build towards the upside and hope it all clicks.

My question is who are these options in the 22 and 23 jersey that are going to be brought on as tactical replacements to enable different tactics or provide a high impact over the player they are replacing?

I don't think we really have them.

Kurtley Beale in his prime was an obvious option here because he allowed you to play in a different way (have a genuine playmaker at fullback as well as covering other positions) but we don't have anyone like that in my view.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
We’re right on the wrong side of Foley, JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale) that can’t cover all those positions anymore but too soon for Carter Gordon who I think could cover 15 and a guy like Flook who I think can really play and is a smart player.

Donaldson was probably looked at for this kind of role but performances haven’t been up to it at all at 10 or 15.

Last edited:

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
High risk, high reward - plays or selections - may win a game, but they won't win a World Cup
The alternative is taking the safe option and knowing you're going to get bundled out anyway. Look at Australia's form. What there suggests that 'steady as she goes' will win a WC?

Skelton needs to start. Petaia should be playing 60 minutes minimum. Roll the dice on Tupou and Bell. Play a 6-2 bench if that's prudent etc.

You can tell Eddie thinks the same with his Vunivalu infatuation. Point of difference is the only way this team wins anything.

You could argue bringing Eddie in is a high risk/reward move in itself. Rennie seemed content with motoring along without it bearing fruits to justify.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
We have world class-ish players in 3, 5, 7*, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13
Then we have great players in 1, 4, 10
Genuinely if we win a Bled/go deep in RWC those players will be considered world class retrospectively.

Glaring hole is hooker and fullback. Suspect our set piece and kicking duel will let us down. Who's a better kick out of Petaia and Kellaway? If somehow Eddie can magic up something for hooker & fullback we're in with a chance.

Last edited:

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We have world class-ish players in 3, 5, 7*, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13
Then we have great players in 1, 4, 10
Genuinely if we win a Bled/go deep in RWC those players will be considered world class.

Glaring hole is hooker and fullback. Suspect our set piece and kicking duel will let us down. Who's a better kick out of Petaia and Kellaway? If somehow Eddie can magic up something for hooker & fullback we're in with a chance.
If we're picking a fullback for their kicking it's very hard to go past Campbell, he has played his role brilliantly in the latter part of the season and his kicking game is probably the best from a tactical perspective of all the options.

Otherwise, Petaia has a monster boot and has really developed his kicking game the last couple of years, but Kellaway probably has better decision making at the back that makes him a better tactical kicker. They've both only been there part time though, so it's hard to judge. There's probably a pretty strong argument for the combination of the 2 across the back 3 though - we're going to need options, particularly when Marika isn't one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The alternative is taking the safe option and knowing you're going to get bundled out anyway. Look at Australia's form. What there suggests that 'steady as she goes' will win a WC?

Skelton needs to start. Petaia should be playing 60 minutes minimum. Roll the dice on Tupou and Bell. Play a 6-2 bench if that's prudent etc.

You can tell Eddie thinks the same with his Vunivalu infatuation. Point of difference is the only way this team wins anything.

You could argue bringing Eddie in is a high risk/reward move in itself. Rennie seemed content with motoring along without it bearing fruits to justify.

I think Skelton will start. Petaia is a solid chance at being in our best back three.

I think the question is what is more likely, Vunivalu coming off the bench as a tactical replacement for a winger that doesn't really need replacing in the last 20 minutes and winning you the game or Kerevi needing to leave the field earlier and having no decent coverage for him costing you a game that you might very well have won.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)

I'm not sure any of those options (excl. Vunivalu) would really be considered high risk, would they? Skelton maybe, but even then...

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
If we're picking a fullback for their kicking it's very hard to go past Campbell, he has played his role brilliantly in the latter part of the season and his kicking game is probably the best from a tactical perspective of all the options.

Otherwise, Petaia has a monster boot and has really developed his kicking game the last couple of years, but Kellaway probably has better decision making at the back that makes him a better tactical kicker. They've both only been there part time though, so it's hard to judge. There's probably a pretty strong argument for the combination of the 2 across the back 3 though - we're going to need options, particularly when Marika isn't one.
Well he is Darren Lockyer.

Finished the year off well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Wallabies will no longer wear a white jersey for their pool game with Portugal...

RWC strip to be revealed tomorrow:

The Wallabies’ World Cup jersey will be unveiled in Sydney on Thursday. The white strip will be displayed as part of the proceedings but it will remain a back-up only, for the extremely remote chance of a clash with Romania in the finals.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
The Wallabies will no longer wear a white jersey for their pool game with Portugal...

RWC strip to be revealed tomorrow:

I'm not the biggest fan of them agreeing in good-faith (and for one match) to help improve the accessibility of the game, only to renege 2 months later.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not the biggest fan of them agreeing in good-faith (and for one match) to help improve the accessibility of the game, only to renege 2 months later.

I agree, it is a somewhat strange decision to flip on...

It's Portugal...

It's for a noble cause...

They're making the jersey anyways...

And provides an opportunity for some match day marketing for another product to sell.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)

The only problem is we all know what we are going to get from Foley, and if that's what Eddie wants that's what he gets. Doesn't change the fact that Gordon with only one full season under his belt is already a better 10 than Foley ever was or will be.