• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Wilkin's spot has been taken by Tom Hooper. I expect Tom to be included in the 33 this Sunday.

I thought Hooper had left his run too late, but he's been very impressive...

A 2m 120kg lock with the workrate to play at openside flanker?

He probably should've had a pilfer from the weekend if not for a harsh "not rolling away" call.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Come on there's no way you believe he's 120kgs do you?

This is from last year, but...

Hooper is listed at 122kgs, however, admits he was closer to 125 with the Junior Wallaby ‘embarrassed’ with his size.

This led him to shed almost eight kilograms ahead of the season, which he credits for his development.

His secret? Staying off ACT stables Goodberry's frozen yogurt and Kingsley’s chips.

"I've gone down in weight but more lean muscle, I had to go down, I was on the chubby end of the lock spectrum," Hooper said.

“I’m down to 118kgs, I was on the heavy side at 125…I put down 122kg on my player profile because I was a bit embarrassed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So he was playing at 118kgs in 2022 and he looks much leaner in 2023 than he did in 2022, if I had to guess, 113/114kgs.

Anyway, I'm a fan and he could seriously find his way into a #20 jersey with his versatility. Deserves a shot eventually over LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Hanigan and brings similar skillset/size to #6.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's been no mention of him from Eddie or any Aus journos (apart from opinion) joining the squad.

You feel like they'd leak TKB or at least hint at it to journos to soften the ground before the squad is announced.

Would surely be a first to pick a bloke who's never played Super Rugby in Australia, nor ever intends to.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You feel like they'd leak TKB or at least hint at it to journos to soften the ground before the squad is announced.

Would surely be a first to pick a bloke who's never played Super Rugby in Australia, nor ever intends to.
Honestly his form deserves it so I've got no issue with him in, some have mentioned it's unfair to the likes of Tate, Jake, Ryan etc. but I say tough luck this is pro sport, be better. But yeah, sounds like he's not coming and we don't really need him.

Last edited:

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
My go at Sunday's squad. This is chosen in light of Eddie's comments recently and also ability to call up players quickly in case of injury. I don't think the composition will be the same as the WC. This time he'll take 3 flyhalves, 3 scrumhalves. Also not sure about his rehab people. Bell & Tupou will probably be still rehab. Also, I think there'll be one or two players he's 70% sure he won't take to the RWC but wants a final look at.

Rehab
Tupou
Bell
Leota
Rodda/Philip
Feel like he can whack anyone in here as an exemption to the 33.

Props

James Slipper
Matt Gibbon
Allan Ala'alatoa
Sam Talakai
Pone Fa'amausili

Hookers

Dave Porecki
Lachlan Lonergan
Jordan Uelese

Second Rowers

Nick Frost
Will Skelton
Richie Arnold
Caderyn Neville

Backrowers

Rob Valetini
Jed Holloway
Michael Hooper
Fraser McReight
Harry Wilson
Langi Gleeson
Tom Hooper

Halfbacks

Nic White
Tate McDermott
Ryan Lonergan

Flyhalves

Quade Cooper
Bernard Foley
Carter Gordon

Centres

Samu Kerevi
Lalaki Foketi
Len Ikitau

Outside Backs

Reece Hodge
Jordon Petaia
Andrew Kellaway
Tom Wright
Marika Koroibete

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I think if Nic White somehow managed to break a leg, or tear his ACL in the next 4 or 5 days TKB would be a reasonable option to bring in.

Without? Nah. White, McDermott and Lonergan provide the right mix.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Honestly his form deserves it so I've got no issue we him in, some have mentioned it's unfair to the likes of Tate, Jake, Ryan etc. but I say tough luck this is pro sport, be better. But yeah, sounds like he's not coming and we don't really need him.
Half the time I think it's outrageous to select a player who's a proper all black. Then I read about his commitments to Darwin Rugby and also think of the NH teams with their grubby little mitts on Dempsey, Hansen and Meafou and I think fuck it, go all out take anyone we can that'll make us better.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It sucks the Argentina match is the one that clashes with Aus A, if it was the All Blacks it would be the perfect chance to play guys like Phillip and Rodda (and possibly even Bell & Tupou) against Tonga and then Argentina the next week
but now Eddie needs to decide which match to play them in.

You don't want guys short of game time up against NZ.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Still no official movement on the new gitlaw, if not movement in the next week it looks like the squad will only have Marika, Quade & Kerevi as they are already here.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still no official movement on the new gitlaw, if not movement in the next week it looks like the squad will only have Marika, Quade & Kerevi as they are already here.
You know Foley is in the squad already too? Relax, they're all coming. Eddie probably wants to finalise his squad and then tell Hamish how many to set the limit at (rather than say it's unlimited).