• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Any news on where Samu is moving onto?

Gleeson has the potential to be one of the best in the world by 2025 if fit and healthy. Very exciting. At first the Slipper news I though was silly but the way he's playing I never want the War Horse to leave.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I really doubt we take 3 10s and Hodge.

There's likely only 14 back spots. Take off 3 for 9s. 2 for Quade and Foley and you're left with 9 spots.

Kerevi, Ikitau, Foketi certs.
Kellaway, Korobiete, Wright, Petaia certs.

Two left, if you're including Hodge and Gordon you're left with no outside backs outside a 23, risky if one gets injured and we're putting Hodge in the 23. I think it'll be Hodge (to play as 10 v Portugal and backup anywhere else last) and either Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) or Pietsch.
HB: Mcdermott, Gordon, White
FH: Quade, Foley, Gordon
C: Foketi, Kerevi, Ikitau, Hodge
OB: MarkyMark, Koroibete, Kellaway, Wright, Petaia

That could be the back contingent (Foketi v Paisami). You could keep both, or include a Paisami, Perese or Jorgenson if Hodge acts as the 3rd 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Arnold will be there. Philip and Rodda will only have to play a bit to keep out Swain.

I think an issue for Philip and Rodda will be whether there's just too many players returning from long term injuries.

They'll be lower on the priority list than Bell, Tupou, Cooper, Kerevi and possibly Leota. At some point I reckon Eddie Jones will baulk at having so many players in his squad that have played very little rugby this year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HB: Mcdermott, Gordon, White
FH: Quade, Foley, Gordon
C: Foketi, Kerevi, Ikitau, Hodge
OB: MarkyMark, Koroibete, Kellaway, Wright, Petaia

That could be the back contingent (Foketi v Paisami). You could keep both, or include a Paisami, Perese or Jorgenson if Hodge acts as the 3rd 10.
If it's 15 backs then yeah (although Lonergan over J Gordon) but Eddie might do 6:2s and want a 19 / 14 forward:back split.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think an issue for Philip and Rodda will be whether there's just too many players returning from long term injuries.

They'll be lower on the priority list than Bell, Tupou, Cooper, Kerevi and possibly Leota. At some point I reckon Eddie Jones will baulk at having so many players in his squad that have played very little rugby this year.
It definitely isn't ideal but I wonder if he'll also see an optismistic side of it all that our players bodies (in terms of collisions, soft tissue stuff) should be pretty fresh come late October and can flog them physically week in week out compared to other nations who'll manage a lot of their players approaching their 20+ games for the year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure if it's been confirmed, but it was reported to be Bourdeaux...
I know he's been phoning it in this year but I still think this is a big loss for us. Dude is supremely talented and the perfect bench option for the Wallabies. Could easily have played at least through to the Lions tour.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
If it's 15 backs then yeah (although Lonergan over J Gordon) but Eddie might do 6:2s and want a 19 / 14 forward:back split.
It only MIGHT go to 14 backs if you carry the 6th prop (which some may) But usually that means going 4 locks and 5 backrowers, with one of them being a lock/6 hybrid - like a mostert, dutoit, kremer, holloway - it doesn't usually shorten the back squad. You'd never carry a 5th lock or 7th backrower.

hk: x 3
pr: x 5
lk: x4
br: x6
hb: x3
fh: x3
c: x4
ob: x 5

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It only MIGHT go to 14 backs if you carry the 6th prop (which some may) But usually that means going 4 locks and 5 backrowers, with one of them being a lock/6 hybrid - like a mostert, dutoit, kremer, holloway - it doesn't usually shorten the back squad. You'd never carry a 5th lock or 7th backrower.

hk: x 3
pr: x 5
lk: x4
br: x6
hb: x3
fh: x3
c: x4
ob: x 5
It’ll be 6 props - one injury and the position with only 2 is fucked

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
It disgusts me, but this is how Donaldsons name remains relevant. He can play 10 & 15. If he can have a good finish to the year who knows... I don't want him in the squad I'm just pointing out he's the type of guy they want. Some people though Bryce Hegarty might be around there to
Eddie said he was taking 3 10s. But I think the 3rd has to be able to play somewhere else. Like a To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). I'm sure he would have liked Donaldson to do better and be able to cover 15. Most likely in this squad, Hodge.

However could still be Quade, Foley and Gordon - but seems like a wasted spot. But who do you back in vital international games as the 2nd string - the proven performer who you know can deliver, or the young gun. Is the WC the place to 'blood' someone? He would have to start 2 of the 3 RC games IMO to know.
I would suspect Eddie will give Carter Gordon a go in the first Test against South Africa off the bench with Foley to start. Donaldson hasn’t played as well as last year, however Coleman’s game plan hasn’t helped him. If Ryan Lonergan comes on with Gordon, he can goal kick?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I would suspect Eddie will give Carter Gordon a go in the first Test against South Africa off the bench with Foley to start. Donaldson hasn’t played as well as last year, however Coleman’s game plan hasn’t helped him. If Ryan Lonergan comes on with Gordon, he can goal kick?

Not saying I disagree but wow a test debut against the boks at a sold out loftus wowee!