• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can't see how you can justify a 3rd fly half and Hodge in the squad. If you select three out and out 10s, you're expecting to use two of them in every matchday squad, and Hodge becomes supernumerary, as someone like Perese or Petaia become far more valuable as bench options.

If you select Hodge, then it's with an eye to using his versatility to avoid having an out and out 10 in reserve and to provide matchday cover in case of injury & suspension. If both fly halves fall under injury louds you need to bite the bullet and have the more injured one be swapped out.
Eddie said he’s taking 3 10s apparently. Whether he meant 3 players who can play 10 is probably the correct interpretation.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
I will be happy if Swain and Hanigan are left out. I am concerned with bringing too many overseas players in at the last minute and expecting them to perform and fit in to the systems etc. For example a Richie Arnold. I think that would be too big a risk. At least Skelton has had some involvement recently. Not to mention the fact we have a lot of our most important players coming back from injury. We already have Quade, Kerevi, Tupou and Bell coming back from serious injuries. I think it would be risky to consider Rodda and Phillip unless they can play rugby championship

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
For what it's worth, I've just finished watching Toulouse with Meafou and Richie Arnold v Bordeaux with Kane Douglas. I thought Douglas was much more effective than both the other aussies.

Not advocating for Kane to be selected obviously but I think Richie is good, not great.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
than both the other aussies.
If only. I noticed some people in the NH saying he's better than Skelton now (Meafou).
He might be more athletic tbf.
--

Just randomly, it's cool we get to play Georgia, we should just roll out the biggest baddest mfing pack we have, who cares about mobility, Georgia aren't going to run us off our feet.

1. Bell
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Phillip
5. Skelton
6. Leota
7. Gleeson
8. Valetini

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
If only. I noticed some people in the NH saying he's better than Skelton now (Meafou).
He might be more athletic tbf.
I don't know about better but he's definitely got more agility. He's got a pretty wicked step for man the size of a garbage truck.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
For what it's worth, I've just finished watching Toulouse with Meafou and Richie Arnold v Bordeaux with Kane Douglas. I thought Douglas was much more effective than both the other aussies.

Not advocating for Kane to be selected obviously but I think Richie is good, not great.
Kane was under appreciated IMO. How old is he know? Played a lot of footy by now.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Amazing that we have 10 world class locks and none play Super because they can all get paid millions of euros overseas.

Probably our position with deepest depth at national level but weakest at Super, look at the locks playing for the Reds, Waratahs & Force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika didn't underappreciate him - I don't think he's been sighted in our realms since that unfortunate injury in the 2015 final.

He played a lot of tests in 2016 too.

I can't remember whether it was form or injury that kept him out of the side in 2017 and 2018. I think it was form largely. Rodda, Salakaia-Loto, Coleman and Simmons were getting selected in most tests in those years.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Amazing that we have 10 world class locks and none play Super because they can all get paid millions of euros overseas.

Probably our position with deepest depth at national level but weakest at Super, look at the locks playing for the Reds, Waratahs & Force.

I'd love to see a SRpac break down of players paid by position like they do in the top 14

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

There is no way Richie Arnold is an overseas pick. Just no way, of all the test capped options, its him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He named 7 overseas players in the squad, now obviously you have contingencies but if he really thinks he's limited to 3 what's the point of that?

Last edited:

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
He named 7 overseas players in the squad, now obviously you have contingencies but if he really think he's limited to 3 what's the point of that?

a) the total number allowed might change.
b) there could be injuries to other overseas players selected ahead of him (Quade, Kerevi, Foley etc.).
c) there could be injuries to domestic players in key positions that necessitates picking an overseas guy (say Frost, Rhodda, and Holloway get hurt).

Personally I don't see the cap staying at 3 for this RWC. You need Quade, Kerevi, Koriobete if they are fit. To leave one of them behind is bordering on unthinkable and obviously hurts the squad. Then you have Skelton, Arnold's, and Foley, who aren't as critical, but could easily be differences makers as well. I think Jones wants to win and has enough leverage to get what he wants.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
5 is the number that stick out to me as being sensible. I'd keep it at that as well post WC.

The Wallabies in any year would have to use at least 35-40 players throughout the TRC and EOYT. Less than 15% international based players is nothing.