• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's not forget...

ARU cuts back on its Wallaby contracts
April 5, 2012
art-353-john-o-200x0.jpg
"Universal opinion was to get that Wallaby top-up figure down" ... John O'Neill. Photo: Anthony Johnson

THE ARU will further cut the number of Wallaby contracts on offer this year in a move expected to put pressure on Super Rugby franchises trying to retain local players within a reduced salary cap.
Chief executive John O'Neill said the ARU would sign 32 Test players, two fewer than last year, after slashing that number down from 54 so-called ''top-up'' contracts four years ago.
''That was, for a lot of reasons, too many and unsustainable and highly impractical and too costly,'' he said. ''The universal opinion … was to get that Wallaby top-up figure down to close to 30, we're currently at 32.''
Advertisement: Story continues below
In an arrangement similar to Cricket Australia's contracting process, the anointed 32 players will be ranked in value by Wallabies coaches Robbie Deans and David Nucifora before being offered contracts reflecting their position in the pecking order.
But in a scenario likely to make life more difficult for Super Rugby clubs, players must finalise their provincial contracts before going into negotiations over their Wallaby deals. It means clubs will no longer be able to factor in, with any certainty, a player's Wallaby top-up payment and forecast match fees when countering offers from overseas clubs.
''It used to be the reverse sequence - come to the ARU first and do your provincial contract second,'' O'Neill said.
''It is a shift in accountability more pointedly back to the franchises to run their franchise within their own budget constraints.''
O'Neill was speaking at the launch of Pacific in Union, a new partnership between the ARU, the International Rugby Board and the Australian government's development agency AusAID, which will send ''rugby ambassadors'' into Pacific island nations in an effort to promote social and cultural development.
The ARU is in the midst of delicate negotiations with the Rugby Union Players Association over the new collective bargaining agreement, which covers the incoming salary cap and other player contract issues.
O'Neill said that he hoped the ARU and the association could come to agreement by the end of this month.
''It's down to a handful, literally a handful, four or five deal breakers, but [we're] pretty close,'' he said.
There is talk the salary cap may be increased to $4.8 million next season but about $800,000 of that would have to come from the provinces themselves.
O'Neill said yesterday the franchise contribution was essential to securing agreement over the final figure.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/aru-cuts-back-on-its-wallaby-contracts-20120404-1wd7d.html#ixzz1r8VIJvki

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't understand the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 love. He isn't playing there for the tahs and isn't playing well in the positions he has played for them. I can't see how I can be selected on current form and not to mention for the first test only a few days after the tahs game.

Because AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a 13 that is flexible enough to play wing and full back. He has been playing wing a bit the way that Diggers play wing for the Reds, yep he is on the wing but has a roaming commission.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'll throw a spanner in the works here: does anyone still believe its coincidence that the Reds team attitude, and defence especially, have fallen to complete shit after both of the Fainga'a's got injured? Anthony is the one usually credited with the defensive influence, but Saia was 50% of the 'Search and Destroy' nickname they earned as youngsters, and can't be forgotten about. The Reds were handling the Bulls pack quite well until Saia buggered his ankle, and then...well...

I've said it all along, they're not the flashiest players, but name me a Wallaby other than Pocock, who works harder, puts their body on the line as much, and simply never gives up, like those two do? Even if you ignore their off field work, their influence on the team that they play for is undeniable.

They're the kind of players that provide the core platform, and team attitude, for players like Beiber, Beale, Cooper etc to play from and shine.

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't playing at 13, Anthony has to be the next cab off the rank, and TBH with the way AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is playing atm, i'd probably even start Ant. If he wasn't injured, which he is unfortunately, but when he comes back, if he's in the same form as last year you just cant leave him out.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can remember someone on this forum making the comment about the continous yap that was Ant in organising the reds defence. You might be right Brumbieman, you might be right.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Anthony's high pitch voice screaming to orgainse the defensive line is deafening when you're at the ground. Even the crowd 20 rows back know who's got who, when to move up and which lines are being run phase after phase.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
What about Lealiifano at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) and McCabe in the centers?
I could handle that. However, with Mitchell out, and Turner out, unless we play Diggers and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wings, we'll be short of a decent back three if Beiber plays 12. I like how McCabe has been looking at space, rather than shoulders when he runs, its very refreshing. Not totally sure yet, but I want either him or Fainga'a in one of the centre spots. 13 would be the better option if we go with Lilo, because we'll need a creative 12. I really like Lilo, but he's no Cooper.

Its all irrelevant though, unless we field a forward pack that fronts up, CONSISTENTLY.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It makes a big difference both in attack and defence to have a talker somewhere in 10, 12 or 13. A lot of the reason why Wilkinson wasn't as good in his 2nd stint with England was that he had no Will Greenwood at 13. Greenwood used to talk all the time and tell Wilko when to pass and when to kick.

In his 2nd stint he had guys who were relatively new to the international scence at 12 & 13 and without a talker he made a lot of wrong calls.

For Ireland BOD is normally the talker and organises the defence. Sexton is begining to do it more now he's comfortable at test level.

If I were an Aus fan I'd like to see as settled a side as possible over the next year with a few guys who are really up to it given a go. I think over the last few years Deans did enough experimenting and he should know who his best 15 are and who slots in where if someone gets injured. Also it's in Deans interest not to make too many changes as any defeats will add fuel to the Deans out contingent.

Here in Ireland we're in the opposite situation where there are lots of young players who need to be blooded and older players who need to be moved on. So most Irish fans are crying out for changes and experimentation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Anthony's high pitch voice screaming to orgainse the defensive line is deafening when you're at the ground. Even the crowd 20 rows back know who's got who, when to move up and which lines are being run phase after phase.

He plays the same role that Carter does for the Tahs, I would prefer not to see either run out for the Wobs

C

Cave Dweller

I could handle that. However, with Mitchell out, and Turner out, unless we play Diggers and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wings, we'll be short of a decent back three if Beiber plays 12. I like how McCabe has been looking at space, rather than shoulders when he runs, its very refreshing. Not totally sure yet, but I want either him or Fainga'a in one of the centre spots. 13 would be the better option if we go with Lilo, because we'll need a creative 12. I really like Lilo, but he's no Cooper.

Its all irrelevant though, unless we field a forward pack that fronts up, CONSISTENTLY.
True. Also I think it is important to look at ones opposition. Scotland. More forward play not so much creativity at the back but Wales is another story. They like to attack the advantage line with their big runners and you want to stop them doing that initially. Jamie Roberts there is one way

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here in Ireland we're in the opposite situation where there are lots of young players who need to be blooded and older players who need to be moved on. So most Irish fans are crying out for changes and experimentation.

Should have your men there talk to John O'Neill - He knows exactly the man for the job... A 4 year contract and the magic words "play what's in front of you" should seal the deal :)

C

Cave Dweller

I understand that the gameplan from the Welsh won't change much, but Roberts wont be playing against us this year.
Won't he? Did not know that. Its a shame really.

@Bardon
Just put O'Driscoll in there and load the team with youngsters

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Won't he? Did not know that. Its a shame really.

@Bardon
Just put O'Driscoll in there and load the team with youngsters

Roberts is out for 6 months due to surgery on an injury.

I'd love if they did that we've got plenty of young centres who need to get experience before the next WC. Other than BOD and D'Arcy the rest of our backline will be around for the next WC but still would like to see the likes of Felix Jones, Simon Zebo, Maddigan, Cave etc. getting caps now so they're settled and used to internationals by the next WC.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've said it all along, they're not the flashiest players, but name me a Wallaby other than Pocock, who works harder, puts their body on the line as much, and simply never gives up, like those two do? Even if you ignore their off field work, their influence on the team that they play for is undeniable.

They're the kind of players that provide the core platform, and team attitude, for players like Beiber, Beale, Cooper etc to play from and shine.

TOM CARTER

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Oi! Stop it!
Not another fucking Tom Carter thread hijack, please. ;)
Bah, reasonable answer to a reasonable question.

Perhaps what it goes to prove, for all those who dislike Carter, is that working hard, putting your body on the line and never giving up isn't enough to be considered for Wallaby selection. In which case A.Fainga'a in particular should never go near a Wobblies team again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bah, reasonable answer to a reasonable question.

Perhaps what it goes to prove, for all those who dislike Carter, is that working hard, putting your body on the line and never giving up isn't enough to be considered for Wallaby selection. In which case A.Fainga'a in particular should never go near a Wobblies team again.
I'm not saying it isn't reasonable to ask. I'm saying it has been discussed ad nauseam in multiple other threads, and we don't need it rehashed yet again.
If the topic fascinates you, by all means do a thread search - it is quite illuminating.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cummins game vs the reds was every bit as good as any of Inmans this year.
I confess that I am no fan of Inman. There is something about him. Based on what I saw of the Rebels game this week he is no chance of ever playing for Australia: he threw an absolutely shocking pass and he gets himself out of position in attack - he's a backrower in a backs body: mind you I reckon he could play in the backrow at s 15 level.

G

Gollum

I confess that I am no fan of Inman. There is something about him. Based on what I saw of the Rebels game this week he is no chance of ever playing for Australia: he threw an absolutely shocking pass and he gets himself out of position in attack - he's a backrower in a backs body: mind you I reckon he could play in the backrow at s 15 level.

I actually think Inman has been playing really well so far this year. Granted he has missed a few games with a hamstring injury but the rebels have looked much better with him on the park, particularly from a defensive perspective. From what I've seen his positional play in defence has been good and he's got the size to straighten the line and get over the advantage line. He's got a lot of potential.

I think Inman and Smith have been the best 13's in the aus conference by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.