• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's with the selection of Beau Robinson on the bench?

I wouldn't spot him anywhere near the team... particularly with Pocock, Hodgson, Hooper etc

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Code:
<Edit: take 4>
Aus v. Scotland  Aus v. Wales
Tuesday, Jun 5    Saturday, Jun 9
----------------- -----------------
1 P.Cowan         1 B.Robinson
2 N.Charles*      2 S.Moore
3 S.Ma'afu        3 S.Kepu
4 R.Simmons       4 K.Douglas*
5 N.Sharpe (c)    5 J.Horwill (c)
6 R.Brown         6 S.Higginbotham
7 M.Hodgson       7 D.Pocock
8 B.McCalman      8 W.Palu

9 N.Phipps        9 W.Genia
10 B.Barnes      10 J.O'Connor
11 R.Davies      11 D.Ioane
12 B.Tapuai      12 P.McCabe
13 N.Cummins*    13 A.Ashley-Cooper
14 D.Shipperley* 14 T.Kingston*
15 C.Shepherd    15 K.Beale

16 J.Hanson*     16 T.Polota-Nau
17 B.Alexander   17 J.Slipper
18 H.Pyle*       18 S.Timani
19 R.Samo        19 D.Dennis*
20 C.Lealiifano* 20 B.Robinson
21 I.Prior*      21 B.Lucas*
22 M.Harris*     22 A.Fainga'a

*= uncapped

Scotland destroys that first team. I don't think Deans will take on Scotland and Wales as lightly as that. He has said that now the RWC is over the focus is on winning each game and not on blooding players. These are elite professional players, and they have dealt with similar turnarounds during at various tournaments throughout their careers, including the RWC. I think the teams will be a lot stronger than that, and players will back up. The turnaround disadvantages us, but it's no more a disadvantage than fielding a 'B' grade side in a test match.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The thought of selecting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 just does not stack up. I can honestly put aside any Reds bias and say that Taps must be the front runner. He is playng in that position currently and is playing well.

A bit of a smokey could also be Andrew Smith.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Can't have Palu and Higginbotham on at the same time imo

I was worrying about this as well. I think it depend on who the rest of the pack is.

If you have Moore, Horwil and maybe Alexander/Sharpe also on the field at the same time I think it could work.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The backline v Wales - unless Genia cuts someone out, how do the outside backs get the ball? JOC (James O'Connor) is a runner, not a distributor...yet. McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres - at least the oppo know what they're gonna get - ball trucked up at 'em all day. Neither would be able to make a pass at Miranda Kerr.
Not to say McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) don't have their merits individually, but not a centre pairing I really want to see. Given one's lack of match-play, and the other's lack of form, I would be surprised, at the moment, if they are the front runners.
Having said that, I'm sure I'll be wrong.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think taps is a 12 and he is not our best 12 either.

He has been ok at 13, but if he isnt dominating the position at super rugby level I wouldn't pick him there in a test match.

Which oz 13 is dominating that position?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Considering we are unlikely to rely on tahs for more than 30 mins in the first test, id like to see this sort of back line.

Genia, lilo, ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), taps, shipps, beale

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Considering we are unlikely to rely on tahs for more than 30 mins in the first test, id like to see this sort of back line.

Genia, lilo, ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), taps, shipps, beale

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Taps and I'm listening.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Code:
<Edit: take 4>
Aus v. Scotland  Aus v. Wales
Tuesday, Jun 5    Saturday, Jun 9
----------------- -----------------
1 P.Cowan        1 B.Robinson
2 N.Charles*      2 S.Moore
3 S.Ma'afu        3 S.Kepu
4 R.Simmons      4 K.Douglas*
5 N.Sharpe (c)    5 J.Horwill (c)
6 R.Brown        6 S.Higginbotham
7 M.Hodgson      7 D.Pocock
8 B.McCalman      8 W.Palu

9 N.Phipps        9 W.Genia
10 B.Barnes      10 J.O'Connor
11 R.Davies      11 D.Ioane
12 B.Tapuai      12 P.McCabe
13 N.Cummins*    13 A.Ashley-Cooper
14 D.Shipperley* 14 T.Kingston*
15 C.Shepherd    15 K.Beale

16 J.Hanson*    16 T.Polota-Nau
17 B.Alexander  17 J.Slipper
18 H.Pyle*      18 S.Timani
19 R.Samo        19 D.Dennis*
20 C.Lealiifano* 20 B.Robinson
21 I.Prior*      21 B.Lucas*
22 M.Harris*    22 A.Fainga'a

*= uncapped
Just a comment for all - Deans has already stated that he is going to use majority of Force and Reds players for the Scotland game since they have the bye the week before. Of Course wether this come to fruition or not, we will have to wait and see.

Few changes I would make -

Scotland -
Swap Charles and Hanson - Yep Charles has been doing well but I just feel Hanson might be in the better place right now.
Backrow - Ick. But what are the options? Not much really. Gill/Hooper at 7, Hodgson to 6/8, Brown to 8 (or stay at 6 depending on Hodgson), McCalman to the bench or out of the 22 with Samo staying on the bench. Samo is a good bench player so most likely McCalman out of the 22. Concern is that is Hodgson goes down there is no one to step into openside with any success. AT least with Gill/Hooper and Hodgson, there could be a reshuffle and we would still have an openside of sorts. If there are two 7 in the squad could even bring Veaa or Mowen onto the bench.
Swap Phipps and Prior - neither of them would be coming off a bye so really no matter. Just think Prior would be better. Even then what about Kingi and or White? Or Shehan or McKibbin for that matter?
Will Cam Shepherd be fit? Having said that do we have another 15 that would step up? Harvey perhaps?

Wales -
Might have a problem in the locks. Sharpie should be on the bench just to add some starch if Douglas doesn't measure up. Yes I know that he is retiring at the end of the year, but I would feel much more comfortable. Or perhaps not use Pyle in the Scotland game unless absolutely necessary and get him to back up. I see Wykes in the same position as Simmo - out of form. Timani has not yet got back his fitness.
Like others I don't see the McCabe /AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) pairing as the best option. But again what to do????? Perhaps bring Taps into 12 and drop McCabe out to the wing. Or the Brums 12, who is that again, he has been playing alright. Or do we put JOC (James O'Connor) in at 12 and bring Lilo in to 10. Assuming that he is not used in the Scotland game.

The depressing thing is that I think Deans is going to have to make up his mind which of these games it the most important and target the full strength side to that. I am guessing that this will be the Welsh game. We just don't have the cattle to win both.If this is the case then perhpas we need to have a backline of the following -
9 Genia
10 Barnes/JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Digby
12 Barnes/JOC (James O'Connor)
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Shipperly
15 Beale

21 Brums 12 (was it Smith playing there while McCabe was out)/McCabe/Taps
22 Kingston/Lucas/Harris (In that order if fit)

Don't have confidence that Harris or Lucas will be fit and reall don't want them broken again (from a purely selfish reds point of view).

Edit - had a typing issue but all fixed now.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Taps and I'm listening.

I don't understand the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 love. He isn't playing there for the tahs and isn't playing well in the positions he has played for them. I can't see how I can be selected on current form and not to mention for the first test only a few days after the tahs game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't understand the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 love. He isn't playing there for the tahs and isn't playing well in the positions he has played for them. I can't see how I can be selected on current form and not to mention for the first test only a few days after the tahs game.

I don't know how you could be selected either based on recent form?

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.