• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cheers, IS. Format borrowed from elsewhere but the rugby names put in. I like it because it attempts to show who is at the peak, and who might be increasing or decreasing their hold on spots in the squad (subjective of course) - plus those on the fringes of selection (or re-selection).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Cheers, IS. Format borrowed from elsewhere but the rugby names put in. I like it because it attempts to show who is at the peak, and who might be increasing or decreasing their hold on spots in the squad (subjective of course) - plus those on the fringes of selection (or re-selection).

Kiap, agree with IS, by far the best format I've seen for this purpose. Thank you. So much better than seeing the player data in a great long list.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd like to see a squad selected on form, with the aim of winning one match at a time (rather than one in four years time), but I would not be surprised to see Deans select something very close to his last selected squad (and team).

Reactions: BPC

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully the Lions tour will put an end to the 'rebuilding' excuse that plagued us for the 4 years leading to the RWC.

Sharpe's days look over regardless of how well he is going. Deans has been trying to get him out for years, and this year i agree. Pyle looks the goods and i don't think he will struggle with the step up and there are a few locks that could be given the bench job. All for having him in the squad but preferably as backup.

Horne can't be selected on current form. Options would be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and blood someone like Shipperly on the wing. Maybe Fainga'a or we could ask White to give McCabe a run at 13 for the Brums at some stage. Not sure about Taps at 13 for Wobs. With Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), and QC (Quade Cooper) fit, would prefer him backup to those 3 and a devensive, straight runner at centre in the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Finger/McCabe mould if we go with the 2 playmakers.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Hopefully the Lions tour will put an end to the 'rebuilding' excuse that plagued us for the 4 years leading to the RWC.

Sharpe's days look over regardless of how well he is going. Deans has been trying to get him out for years, and this year i agree. Pyle looks the goods and i don't think he will struggle with the step up and there are a few locks that could be given the bench job. All for having him in the squad but preferably as backup.

Horne can't be selected on current form. Options would be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and blood someone like Shipperly on the wing. Maybe Fainga'a or we could ask White to give McCabe a run at 13 for the Brums at some stage. Not sure about Taps at 13 for Wobs. With Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), and QC (Quade Cooper) fit, would prefer him backup to those 3 and a devensive, straight runner at centre in the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Finger/McCabe mould if we go with the 2 playmakers.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 seems to be the logical solution. Taps would have to be second in line.

I know he hasn't even been starting but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to blood Joe Tomane in the wider squad.. He looks like he could be a real game breaker and has the X-factor that most of the new crop of wingers seem to lack.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Great - bit worried that Mortlock is still in the frame but I guess you can just slide him out
Is it a word document? Sorry I know Im off track I just think I have to find some way to use it...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This would be a great way for clubs to select their teams for and from trials on grading night (which was always a nightmare) - as Bowside says: everyone involved in selection has a visual reference for each team and would have every name in a graphical relationship to the grade under discussion...and the impact on others under consideration would inevitably show up. hell you could even show the disappointed players how close they got....

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
IS I think it might be an excel file by the look of it. I agree it would be extremely useful for justifying selections at club and school level.

It would look great in a blog post on the front page kiap - you could compare the graphics from EOYT, start of super rugby, middle of super rugby, and then come up with one just before the June tests. Would be excellent for tracking players. It would take a lot of time but.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Great - bit worried that Mortlock is still in the frame but I guess you can just slide him out

Is it a word document? Sorry I know Im off track I just think I have to find some way to use it...

Yeah, admittedly Morty is nearly a Davis-Cup-style non-playing captain these days. Hopefully he gets on the field for the Rebs but I can't really see him making the Wallabies again. Wouldn't mind cloning him, though.

As per Bowside's note, the document was Excel (please see attached). It's a bit clunky, but feel free to modify and make your own versions. I've probably missed a few contenders in there.

IS I think it might be an excel file by the look of it. I agree it would be extremely useful for justifying selections at club and school level.

It would look great in a blog post on the front page kiap - you could compare the graphics from EOYT, start of super rugby, middle of super rugby, and then come up with one just before the June tests. Would be excellent for tracking players. It would take a lot of time but.

Cheers, Bowside. Agree it'd be interesting to see something like that. On the selection side there'd be others more up to speed on the players' form, though (or maybe it could be done by votes !?). If you'd like to have a go (or anyone else) please feel free to use the format.

Attachments

• team.xlsx
    20.7 KB · Views: 413
W

What2040

And we can not discount the Deans factor. If he is selected he will be selected as THP.

I would be surprised if Pek gets picked at all - too many ahead of him at THP - Slipper Kepu Maafu and even Alexander

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Ita Vaea is starting this weekend. If he can hold his run-on form for the extended time he will play this week, then he has to be a chance for greater honours this year... At the very least as the backrower supersub

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
OK, I'll have a stab at naming the first two Wallabies teams for June. (2 months ahead - What could go wrong?).

With the Reds and Force having a bye before the Scotland test (plus Brumbies v. Rebels and Waratahs v.Canes being played a few days before) I've gone wih 9 Force players, 7 Reds, 3 Brumbies, 2 Rebels, and 1 Waratah for the first game.

Even trying to maximise the players with test experience, there has to be some new blood for this test (3 new caps for the starting side, and 4 more uncapped on the bench in this case).

Scotland's strength is in their forwards (including a quality lineout and scrum) so good teamwork will be needed against them. I'd go with 7 out of 8 from the Force for the starting pack, with Sharpie as captain, and only adding Simmons as the other lock. Plenty of experience here (only Charles being uncapped) and should be no problem with combinations on a short preparation. Samo and Alexander add experience in reserve and Hanson and Pyle get their opportunities from the bench.

In the halves, pair Phipps and Barnes with some experience to start, and give a chance to Prior and Lealiifano later in the game. Ioane will be needed for the Wales match, but the rest of the backline is chosen from the best and/or most experienced from the Reds and Force. Caps for Shipperley and Cummins, and a chance to cap Harris.

Code:
<Edit: take 4>
Aus v. Scotland  Aus v. Wales
Tuesday, Jun 5    Saturday, Jun 9
----------------- -----------------
1 P.Cowan         1 B.Robinson
2 N.Charles*      2 S.Moore
3 S.Ma'afu        3 S.Kepu
4 R.Simmons       4 K.Douglas*
5 N.Sharpe (c)    5 J.Horwill (c)
6 R.Brown         6 S.Higginbotham
7 M.Hodgson       7 D.Pocock
8 B.McCalman      8 W.Palu

9 N.Phipps        9 W.Genia
10 B.Barnes      10 J.O'Connor
11 R.Davies      11 D.Ioane
12 B.Tapuai      12 P.McCabe
13 N.Cummins*    13 A.Ashley-Cooper
14 D.Shipperley* 14 T.Kingston*
15 C.Shepherd    15 K.Beale

16 J.Hanson*     16 T.Polota-Nau
17 B.Alexander   17 J.Slipper
18 H.Pyle*       18 S.Timani
19 R.Samo        19 D.Dennis*
20 C.Lealiifano* 20 B.Robinson
21 I.Prior*      21 B.Lucas*
22 M.Harris*     22 A.Fainga'a

*= uncapped

The side to play Wales is closer to the full strength Wallabies. With Sharpe and Simmons playing against the Scotland, I'd give Douglas or Timani a start at lock along with Horwill. Kingston gets a new cap on the wing, and Lucas, and Dennis a chance from the bench.

Australia will be really stretched trying to win both of these test matches.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the first team looks weeaaakkk.

Davies, Sheppard, Phipps, McCalman, Hodgeson, Brown and Ma'afu havnt in my mind done enough to even be selected for the dirt trackers. Probably chuck Simmons onto that list as well.

I dont understand why deans would fall back on a backrow of Brown, Hodgeson and McCalman when all 3 have consistently failed to show cause at international level.

The brumbies have plenty of backrow depth and so I'm sure they could cope if one of their backrowers was plucked from the team for the rebels game so they could play v scotland.

Along with Robinson, Gill and Samo - there is the makings of a half decent backrow for scotland.

I like your selection of Cummins at 13, however I am not sure if it will eventuate as deans might go A. Finger for scotland and then with McCabe for Wales. I think he deserves a spot if he keeps his form up but - even if it is on the wing.

A smokey for the scotland test could be AWH at lock. I think he is coming back from injury soon and was one of the reds best last year. Sure to get some gametime for the reds as well with simmons being so out of form. I think Wykes also deserves a look in although I note some posters dont rate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.