• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beautiful response mate. Care to throw up an alternatitive view?
I just finished watching aus v wales on channel ten best backline was running around in that game i kept thinking to myself i wish all the blokes were fit.

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Barnes
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
15 Beale

Thats my backline if everyone was fit I havent been very impressed with digby this yeat he is a winger. Wingers should be scoring tries which he hasnt been doing much off latley.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No Barbarian is right. He just a winger. he doesn't roam around the field looking for work he just stays on his wing and scores tries. Why would you want your winger doing that?

If you look at the characteristics of the Wobs wingers they ain't tram track finishers, they generally are expected to take it up through the middle, be good and safe on kick return, have a solid work rate and defend well.

We don't go around sides, we don't risk the turnover from the isolated winger.

Even on the last GR&G backline analysis we just don't take the wide option under the current tackle laws

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale to 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing then install the Reds backline in the other positions. That will offer plenty in attack, defence and a shitload of fluent combination. Some bloody good players wsill miss out but that is always going to be a symptom of depth.

Except you're stuck with the Reds' midfield.......

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah that's the point Slim. Is scoring tries and shutting down opposition backlines not what we want our teams to do?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ray-ban-lokes.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

Have you at all heard the story about the pot that called the kettle black?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you can explain why you think that's the case I'd be be fascinated to read it.......

But I don't think the Reds' midfield deserve Wallaby selection over a number of players, including those that come from the over-represented arch enemy.......

T

Train Without a Station

Even you would have to admit you can be incredibly one eyed and paorichial towards the brumbies. I am merely saying, is it that ridiculous to think that the best performing team who managed to defeat the most of the top opposition out of the Australian conference should be the most heavily represented? Crazy I know. I thought the idea of incumbency was that the incumbent was supposed to deserve they're jersey? To me the argument 'they've done it before' doesn't hold much weight to me when the tri nations trophey in a world cup year is the only worthwhile trophy we have. All they seem to have 'done before' is lose the games that mattered.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well the Reds finished equal on points to the Brumbies, don't think they were dominant enough to say "let's transplant their backline into the Wallabies".

Maybe last year, not this year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well the Reds finished equal on points to the Brumbies, don't think they were dominant enough to say "let's transplant their backline into the Wallabies".

Maybe last year, not this year.

Last year they also had a much better 12 in Tapuai.......

T

Train Without a Station

And I don't think the wallabies have been dominant enough to say, let's keep this backline.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sorry Slim, I just wasnt aware that as a tier 1 national team, we were in the business of accepting mediocrity, not striving towards success. How foolish of me. McCabe and Horne it is. Should score plenty of backline tries this year. I'll brace myself for the 4 try bonus points.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm sorry Slim, I just wasnt aware that as a tier 1 national team, we were in the business of accepting mediocrity, not striving towards success. How foolish of me. McCabe and Horne it is. Should score plenty of backline tries this year. I'll brace myself for the 4 try bonus points.

Well the Brumbies had one more 4 try BP than the Reds this year. They also conceded less points. Based on that surely their centres are more deserving candidates?

T

Train Without a Station

Definitely more so than candidates from the Force, Rebels and Waratahs. I think due to sustained performance over about 3 seasons now, the Reds players are more deserving, however I agree Andrew Smith warrants squad selection. Hopefully he continues his form on in 2013 as we could use a quality centre with his size. Mitch Inman certainly isn't living up to hype. On another note, I just saw Dom Shipperly has bagged 8 tries this year. Not bad for a guy that just hangs on his wig outside an average midfield with minimal attacking ability I guess.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jesus, I never said Ships was a bad player. He is a very good player, just a bit limited when compared with other options. But he is super young and will develop that other dimension.

Tries scored are largely irrelevant. If we picked the Wallabies on the try scoring tally then we would have had Tom Carter at 12 last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.