• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is still almost a month until the first test.

With four more club games under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mitchell sneak into the side ahead of Shipperly.

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/JOC (James O'Connor) is more likely on that wing though.

When is JOC (James O'Connor) able to play again?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) is ruled out of the first 2 tests

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mitchell for the 1st test. Why would Deans pick Shipperley when he chose Vuna over him twice?

Shifting bodies at the breakdown is a big role for locks (Vickerman was excellent in this role).

Ugh that's exactly what Timani is doing.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Really? The guy is playing OK, but he is just a finisher. A good finisher, sure, but I don't think his form is exceptional at the moment.

I can't see him in the starting XV to be honest. With Beale fit Deans would be looking at Digby on one wing, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/JOC (James O'Connor) on the other. If there are injuries then Ships may come into it, but so will Mitchell and Cummins.

I wouldn't have Shippers in the Championship squad this year but definately in the future. His played well all year and has great potential to be a quality winger although this upcoming tournament wont be the best time to see if he can handle the International arena.

The Blacks and Boks would bombard him both physically and mentally (E.g. Rod Davies against Samoa). Instead I wouldn't mind seeing him play in a few mid-week games and evolving his rugby to that International level.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Digby, Turner, Mitchell and when JOC (James O'Connor) is available would be much better options.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Really? The guy is playing OK, but he is just a finisher. A good finisher, sure, but I don't think his form is exceptional at the moment.

I can't see him in the starting XV to be honest. With Beale fit Deans would be looking at Digby on one wing, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/JOC (James O'Connor) on the other. If there are injuries then Ships may come into it, but so will Mitchell and Cummins.

Shipperley has to be on fire to get a spot but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) only has to be average?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Consistent performance at test level (particularly on the wing) provides AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with a major advantage.

An uncapped player is always going to have to make their claims irresistable to oust an incumbent player. Particularly one who has performed well on a consistent basis.

T

TOCC

It also depends on Beale's availability and fitness as well...

Wallabies are in need of some quality finishers.. Digby is a workhorse and is generally complemented well by Mitchell(in form and fit)...
I think that's why Deans looked towards Cooper Vuna and expect him to consider Shipperly as well... Both are renowned finishers

Turner hasn't been doing much 'finishing' lately nor has Cummins.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Obviously having Drew fit and firing would be ideal, but he would have to be incredible over the next month to warrant selection. Cummins is a possibility, but I think Ships finishing ability is exactly why he should be in the side. He's also a much more rounded player than Vuna.

J

Jiggles

You are clearly not watching the same rugby as the rest of us.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No Barbarian is right. He just a winger. he doesn't roam around the field looking for work he just stays on his wing and scores tries. Why would you want your winger doing that?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
No Barbarian is right. He just a winger. he doesn't roam around the field looking for work he just stays on his wing and scores tries. Why would you want your winger doing that?

It's great if we havea capable midfield, but do we?
Ships has been in great form and I wouldn't argue his selection, problem is the need for Aussie wingers to roam is that they haven't got the ball in space for many years.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's great if we havea capable midfield, but do we?
Ships has been in great form and I wouldn't argue his selection, problem is the need for Aussie wingers to roam is that they haven't got the ball in space for many years.
Are you having a go at the Wallabies midfield?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Sure am.having wingers stay wide and be presented with opportunity would be a remarkable achievement for a Modern day wallaby outfit.

Not going to happen with a McCabe/Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Finger midfield.

Play Barnes or JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and put any 1 of the above at 13 and things may change. Honestly don't mind who. A good case could be made for each depending how they want to play the game.

J

Jiggles

Saying Ships doesn't look for work just shows a lack of understanding of the Reds game plan. He is constantly used off the first phase and set piece to make the gain line, which he does, consistently. He is having a far more impressive debut year than Digby did, for example.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not going to happen with a McCabe/Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Finger midfield.

Play Barnes or JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and put any 1 of the above at 13 and things may change. Honestly don't mind who. A good case could be made for each depending how they want to play the game.

Beale to 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing then install the Reds backline in the other positions. That will offer plenty in attack, defence and a shitload of fluent combination. Some bloody good players wsill miss out but that is always going to be a symptom of depth.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale to 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing then install the Reds backline in the other positions. That will offer plenty in attack, defence and a shitload of fluent combination. Some bloody good players wsill miss out but that is always going to be a symptom of depth.
Wow qld cockyness really knows no bounds

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.