• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can someone smarter and less lazy than me work out statistically who is thought of as the worst from the votes?
Would that even be possible, or would we have about 8 or so regular players tied for consistently standard and not getting any votes.

Please don't give them any encouragement.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
So he received (on average) 10.5 of 138 votes per game.

A little over 1/15th of the votes..

This assumes that if DHP played well that Timani could give him a total of 6 points, but players cannot award 3, 2 and 1 points to a single player each game can they?

Surely the most a player can receive in terms of points per game is 66? (3*22) (assuming one would not give points to themselves).

Therefore, if you're receiving 10.5 points per game you are receiving 15.91% (2 d.p.) of the maximum available points on average.

So its technically 2.39/15 of the total points available, which obviously isn't game changing but its still a considerable movement.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This debate is absolutely ludicrous.

Haha I really want to get the full data set and pump these numbers out.

I'm building excel models all day at work might as well apply the skills for something interesting and I've always wanted to apply some quant analysis to rugby but the quality of available data is absolutely shocking. Its either incomplete, inconsistent or downright wrong (and I certainly dont have the time ForceFan does to collect my own - great work though).

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Please don't give them any encouragement.

Debating the merits of Foley does seem to be about the most popular subject on this thread. Second only to complaining about it. :)

Meanwhile, the Welsh national anthem:

My hen laid a haddock on top of a tree,
Glad barks and centurions throw dogs in the sea,
My guru asked Elvis and brandished Dan’s flan,
Don’s muddy bog’s blocked up with sand.
Dad, Dad! Why don’t you oil Aunty Glad?
When oars appear, on beer bottle pies,
Oh butter the hens as they fly.

Before anyone objects, that slightly daft phonetic version was penned by Swansea poet Nigel Jenkins.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Foley gets a really tough time. He is our most complete 5/8 since Larkham.
He gives 100% in all aspects of the game and is passionate about the jersey.
I am an unabashed QC (Quade Cooper) fan because of his vision and ability but there are a lot of times when Bernard Foley is absolutely the bloke for the job.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Anyone noticing that the new players are retaining their spots and the attrition is coming from the more experienced / older players? It doesn't matter that injury has given some players the chance, it seems to me that Cheika's plan was to start with an experienced side and make the transition as the opportunities presented themselves. If not for Kerevi's ankle there would be six 2016 debutantes in the starting side.

(New player on the left, likely never to be seen in gold again player(s) on the right).

DHP - Mitchell
Hodge - Giteau
Kerevi - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Timani - McCalman

I just picked out the obvious ones, but you'd think that players like Horne and To'omua would also struggle to to get their places back when they are available.

Arnold and Coleman are the other 2 starting debutantes, but Cheika is keeping more of the old guard in the fold, he says that's to build depth in the row, I'm inclined to believe him. Carter seems to be the only complete discard.

T

TOCC

I don't thinks To'omua would struggle to get his position back if fit and available.. He would slot straight back in as starting 12 IMO

And whilst I'm not a massive fan of Horne, I don't think he offers enough in attack, he is solid in defence and I would currently take him over Speight

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
And while I'm not a massive fan of Horne, I don't think he offers enough in attack, he is solid in defence and I would currently take him over Speight.

As an unashamed and massive fan of Horne's I wouldn't pick him in gold if there was someone faster and/or bigger. Rob's the perfect bloke for a bench spot, though, covering 11/12/13/14.

Horne's paid the price for his unselfishness over the years. Being versatile has left him jack-of-all-back-spots and master of none, LG reckoned his best spot as a youngster was 12, wish he'd stayed there.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
As an unashamed and massive fan of Horne's I wouldn't pick him in gold if there was someone faster and/or bigger. Rob's the perfect bloke for a bench spot, though, covering 11/12/13/14.

Horne's paid the price for his unselfishness over the years. Being versatile has left him jack-of-all-back-spots and master of none, LG reckoned his best spot as a youngster was 12, wish he'd stayed there.
He excelled for the Tahs at 12 the few times he was asked to play, with Folau on his outside.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Foley gets a really tough time. He is our most complete 5/8 since Larkham.
He gives 100% in all aspects of the game and is passionate about the jersey.
I am an unabashed QC (Quade Cooper) fan because of his vision and ability but there are a lot of times when Bernard Foley is absolutely the bloke for the job.

Sorry I don't agree with that unless complete means you can do all the aspects required but are poor at some of them.

Foley is barely acceptable as a goal kicker. He is not good with difficult angles and has a short distance as a kicker. His kicking in general play is weak. His vision is for the game play is weak. He has a weak long pass. He has a very good short pass either side. He runs the ball very well. He supports well. Poor defender.

Giteau and Berrick Barnes would have to be viewed as more complete 10's than Foley.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Anyone noticing that the new players are retaining their spots and the attrition is coming from the more experienced / older players? It doesn't matter that injury has given some players the chance, it seems to me that Cheika's plan was to start with an experienced side and make the transition as the opportunities presented themselves. If not for Kerevi's ankle there would be six 2016 debutantes in the starting side.

(New player on the left, likely never to be seen in gold again player(s) on the right).

DHP - Mitchell
Hodge - Giteau
Kerevi - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Timani - McCalman

I just picked out the obvious ones, but you'd think that players like Horne and To'omua would also struggle to to get their places back when they are available.

Arnold and Coleman are the other 2 starting debutantes, but Cheika is keeping more of the old guard in the fold, he says that's to build depth in the row, I'm inclined to believe him. Carter seems to be the only complete discard.

Planning perhaps.
Or when the new blood was finally given a chance it was obvious they were better than the old guard who were well past their best.

Also some of the old guard had longish injuries. Beale and Gits would be there now at 12 ahead of Hodge if fit. Hodge would be shifted to the wing.