• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

T

Tip

QLD viewers need to roll their sundials forward from 1995. The game has turned pro guys..

Believe me, most of QLD want it so.

It's those pesky northerners who don't want their curtains to fade, or for NSW to steal some of our daylight hours

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I hope your right, but have big doubts about Cheika's selections.

Plus I'm not a big fan of having both 9 and 10's like a package. You should build systems where you can simply insert one player to replace another not have to change your whole combination every time there is a single injury or player unavailable.

Wholeheartedly agree, but I don't have any confidence that Cheika will play it that way any time soon.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Of course the vast majority of New South Welshmen secretly harbour the desire to be Queenslanders.

They just need to undertake a course of deep hypnotherapy to unlock the half dozen or so brain cells.:)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
NSW has two time zones. Broken Hill and surrounds are on SA time. Qld possibly could also operate on two zones with the border being somewhere around Rocky?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Firstly, there's lots of different things you can do with short line outs that're worth trying. This method isn't dead in the water.

Secondly, if there's an issue with short options, like I said, attack at 2 and take the slow ball. This could even be a good chance for us to maul a lot, we're a pretty handy mauling team.

Thirdly, if your problem is the opposition has better jumpers man-to-man, having 3 or 4 of them VS 2 isn't going to be the deciding factor.

I'll also draw out attention to Chieka's recent quotes on the subject:

Cheika also said our lineout would be fine before the Eng and NZ games and look how that worked out.
I'm a firm believer the proof is in the pudding and the puddings pretty rancid.
This is actually the worst lineout we've fielded all year.
We might get away with it against Wales if we're lucky.
I guess the only saving grace is that when half foleys clearing kicks dont make touch his backers can say it was a deliberate ploy to keep the ball in play :)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Believe me, most of QLD want it so.

It's those pesky northerners who don't want their curtains to fade, or for NSW to steal some of our daylight hours

I would argue they don't but there's no data that I know of to support either side. The last referendum on the topic was in the early '90's I believe.

But anyway, I'd suggest we all just leave the daylight savings crap alone as it always descends into petty and often nasty, myopic arguments. If that's what you're after then we can always just fire up the Foley v Cooper or Hooper v Pocock crap and at least keep it on topic.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Another cheap shot at the most unbiased and intelligent group as evidenced when we fucked you financially blood sucking blokes off on June 6 1959.

We deal with real time in a real world (although I have to confess I'f like daylight saving if it wouldn't fade the curtains blah blah).

And Chasmac I'll have you know I recently purchased a new fangled watch called a Casio and it has a battery so I sent my sundial to the Salvos:)

maybe you should get the sundial back, the latest watches are solar powered now, batteries are so last millenium

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Stephen Moore's form is massively improved from earlier in the season. I think that has had a big impact on the improvement in our lineout and will hopefully be enough to make it good enough this weekend.

Your assertion is massively wrong.

Yeah I agree his play has been better but that's it. In particular what has improved is his lineout throws.

He should have been dropped several games ago IMO.

To me, it will be interesting how long Moore remains as captain?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cheika also said our lineout would be fine before the Eng and NZ games and look how that worked out.
I guess the only saving grace is that when half foleys clearing kicks dont make touch his backers can say it was a deliberate ploy to keep the ball in play :)

The proof isn't in the pudding though. Moore has improved and he's literally the only key lineout forward still there. Different locks, different loosies.

I respect a man that uses past performance as a predictor of future performance, but I just don't think it's telling in this case.

I've seen combinations with shit short lineouts, and I've seen combinations with good short lineouts. Maybe this combo will do well.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

How many of those tests did Arnold, Timani and Coleman all start together?
Both of the tests in which they did, the lineout performed fine. As i said earlier, yeah we've lost one quality jumper but so have the opposition.

dru

David Wilson (68)
This test is really shaping up. Wales have 3-4 starters out, we have, what, 3? (I include Mumm with Karevi and Genia).

Neither team looks particularly solid in the Line Out, but with Simmons and Fardy on the bench I'll put the point with the WBs.

Pooper v2 looks terrible until you consider where Wales are. Points to our double-7 over their double-7.

No comfortable with Michael's bish-bash-bosh - for me a good WB team will always have guile - but it doesnt look too bad a solution up against the Welsh back line class. And let's not forget Cooper on the bench.

Speight defence and his "rabbit in the headlights" approach to attempted intercepts isnt good though. Eyes on the player with the ball and crunch him bloke!

Also don't mind Frisby on the bench - like Genia, something of a 9.5. Definite change of flavour when Phipps is subbed.

Nothing but a kick in it (points to Wales) until 60, then let's test those starters.

Wales do, and should, fancy themselves but we have room for quite some enthusiasm. Loosing right now would seriously hurt, but I feel the bench wins it for the good guys.

:cool:

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The proof isn't in the pudding though. Moore has improved and he's literally the only key lineout forward still there. Different locks, different loosies.

I respect a man that uses past performance as a predictor of future performance, but I just don't think it's telling in this case.

I've seen combinations with shit short lineouts, and I've seen combinations with good short lineouts. Maybe this combo will do well.

I hope you're right.
For once I will be really happy to be proven wrong!

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Foley - his backers
1e839db8f253fcbae00f691c23cb5263.jpg

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No comfortable with Michael's bish-bash-bosh - for me a good WB team will always have guile - but it doesnt look too bad a solution up against the Welsh back line class. And let's not forget Cooper on the bench.

Oh no. The Welsh are the holders of the bish-bash-bosh, its all Roberts-Davies-North know. We should aim to negate it via Kuridrani / Hodge or avoid it altogether. I want to see our main strike runners (Folau, DHP, Speight, Foley) going around the Welsh backline, not through them.

T

Train Without a Station

Thanks Dalai Ninja,

The fact that Foley polled 3rd in a season where he played more games than anybody else is concrete proof that Foley is considered an excellent player by his peers.

179 votes on the back of being selected for every game except one of 18 is not that great really.

296 votes on the back of being selected for every game except 3 of 18 is probably an indication of being considered an excellent player by your peers. Likewise Pocock's polling of what looks like 189 but I can't read properly to be certain, from his 8 games. Beale's 103 votes despite starting only 1 game in the entire polling period is another indication.

Not very surprising that the players who started the most games generally amassed the most votes. Kepu and Moore are the only consistent starters that don't feature in the top 10.