• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah, Speight is big, tough and fast. I thought he would be the obvious choice to mark North especially with Kuridrani defending inside him

I've watched Speight's defensive positioning, and quite frankly it needs work. This is the danger of him on the wing, and Joe Tomane was the same - excellent attacking player. Hard in contact on attack or defence, but doesn't read the game or communicate very well under pressure.

The outside men are going to rely on Phipps a lot to sweep, and pick targets for them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've watched Speight's defensive positioning, and quite frankly it needs work. This is the danger of him on the wing, and Joe Tomane was the same - excellent attacking player. Hard in contact on attack or defence, but doesn't read the game or communicate very well under pressure.

The outside men are going to rely on Phipps a lot to sweep, and pick targets for them.

I think that defensive positioning is down to the ponies love of outside shooters in defense to stop opportunities (a big reward/massive loss gambit) as opposed to the passive drift using the sideline.

But guys like Roberts, Davies & North etc aren't big on guile, they are big units who will try to run over you, Speight will be fine

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No he is not lightening quick anymore.
He does not have genuine pace, never came back from his injuries.
He has been caught from behind often. He showed his lack of pace in 7's.
He has not had 1 good test and has enough opportunities. His defence is poor as well but better than DHP so at the min they should be swapped around.
Naivalu would have been a better choice, he is a lot quicker.

All probably true, except I have to say Speights defence is usually top notch. I even rate him up there with Horne. Even after his injury he was solid defender for the Brumbies (whilst not setting the world alight on attack). Last Test match was horrible but I think that was an off-game - every player has them from time to time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have to say I'm excited about this back-row. Timani gets his opportunity to cement himself as the premier number 8 if he performs in the line-out.

Plus our forward pack is probably the most physical and aggressive pack for some time.

I'm have high expectations that we will get decent if not great front foot ball, still concerned what the backs will do with it but as always happy to be proved wrong.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We tried the short lineout earlier this year and got owned. NZ and Eng just put a superior jumper against every man in our lineout. And they knew exactly where we were throwing it because of our limited options.
Granted Wales lineout is weaker but I hope this is not the new blueprint for the spring tour or we're in for a frustrating few weeks.

Over the last few games out lineout tempo has been much faster and our lineout has become more effective

I would be more concerned about Wales actually giving us the front and pressuring Phipps' pass and the receiver closer to the ruck to stymie our attack with an up and in defence

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have to say I'm excited about this back-row. Timani gets his opportunity to cement himself as the premier number 8 if he performs in the line-out.

Plus our forward pack is probably the most physical and aggressive pack for some time.

I'm have high expectations that we will get decent if not great front foot ball, still concerned what the backs will do with it but as always happy to be proved wrong.

If Timani can do a "Palu" and be an viable option at two for a fast flat throw in a full lineout we will be fine

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But guys like Roberts, Davies & North etc aren't big on guile, they are big units who will try to run over you, Speight will be fine

As long as we've prepared for the Gatlandball of two midfield decoys, ball out the back to North, wash rinse repeat, we'll be fine.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As long as we've prepared for the Gatlandball of two midfield decoys, ball out the back to North, wash rinse repeat, we'll be fine.

It's not like we have a winger that bites really hard on dummies - wait, crap!

In all seriousness, we'll be fine. We've got their measure IMO.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We definitely more than have their measure in the pack. Line out will be interesting however with Frodo and Samwise Gamgee messing with the big boys.

(Perhaps we should just refer to them both as Sam. "I can't carry it for you Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you!" Something about the Wallabies and the Pooper's backpack)

The key to this game will be Hodge and Kuridrani vs The Bish Bash Bosh brothers. Whilst they are one dimensional that dimension can he truly damaging on its day (see BIL test #3). Our centres muscling up will make or break the game.

North is always a threat but his career has been ravaged by injury and head knocks so he's struggled to maintain any momentum for prolonged periods of time. Halfpenny hasn't played in 14 months so I'm not too worried on that front.

Whoever takes the kicks out of him and Biggar could pose a real problem though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Poooer (V2) was always going to happen once Mumm was outed.

For some reason Chek values Mumm at 6 so it would have been very interesting to see the selections if he was available.

Reckon Pocock would have played 8 to support (as always) Hooper and Timani would ride the pine.

Thankfully catastrophe averted (thanks to Mumm) and both could start.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
QLD viewers need to roll their sundials forward from 1995. The game has turned pro guys..

Another cheap shot at the most unbiased and intelligent group as evidenced when we fucked you financially blood sucking blokes off on June 6 1959.

We deal with real time in a real world (although I have to confess I'f like daylight saving if it wouldn't fade the curtains blah blah).

And Chasmac I'll have you know I recently purchased a new fangled watch called a Casio and it has a battery so I sent my sundial to the Salvos:)