• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
All probably true, except I have to say Speights defence is usually top notch. I even rate him up there with Horne. Even after his injury he was solid defender for the Brumbies (whilst not setting the world alight on attack). Last Test match was horrible but I think that was an off-game - every player has them from time to time.
Didnt he move to 13 quite early

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Foley gets a really tough time. He is our most complete 5/8 since Larkham.
He gives 100% in all aspects of the game and is passionate about the jersey.
I am an unabashed QC (Quade Cooper) fan because of his vision and ability but there are a lot of times when Bernard Foley is absolutely the bloke for the job.
Bernie could kick.
Crucial difference.
If foley could consistently clear our 22 with touch finders and eliminate the aimless kicks in general play that frequently end with tries in the next few phases, then I would agree 100%.
But at the moment there's a chasm between his play and larkhams.
That's not an endorsement for QC (Quade Cooper) - he has his faults as well.
A complete 10 is the holy grail for the wallabies ATM and IMHO there's no one within cooee of larkham at the moment.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry I don't agree with that unless complete means you can do all the aspects required but are poor at some of them.

Foley is barely acceptable as a goal kicker. He is not good with difficult angles and has a short distance as a kicker. His kicking in general play is weak. His vision is for the game play is weak. He has a weak long pass. He has a very good short pass either side. He runs the ball very well. He supports well. Poor defender.

Giteau and Berrick Barnes would have to be viewed as more complete 10's than Foley.
Gits was never a good 10.

Berrick suffered from the same disease Foley is suffering from now. Quaditis. A widespread and highly contagious disease that infects the minds of Rugby watchers and convinces them that Quade Cooper is the second coming of Jeebus.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
paranoia par·a·noi·a (pār'ə-noi'ə) n. A psychotic disorder characterized by systematized delusions, especially of persecution or grandeur, in the absence of other personality disorders. Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

It is just reality.

The world is not a perfect place although you obviously only see good in most and make lame excuses for the others

PS Tooth Fairy doesn't exist - sorry to disappoint but you would argue that anyone who held that view is paranoid

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Peter Fitzsimon's lazy excuse for journalism...........

When it comes to television rights, Australian rugby has long been somewhere between the devil and the deep blue sea. To grow and compete, it needs to be on free-to-air television, always the oxygen for any sporting flame. But to pay its bills in the professional era it needs the money that only comes from paid television. The way forward for many and many a'moon has been to leave Super Rugby on pay TV, while ensuring that the Tests, at least, are on free-to-air as well – usually parking it wherever they can find Gordon Bray. But this Spring tour, as many of my email correspondents have informed me, with some angst, the two most popular Tests – against England and France – will be on ... neither.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...-played-strong-done-good-20161103-gshvem.html

Hey idiot, fact-check your stories.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
It is just reality.

The world is not a perfect place although you obviously only see good in most and make lame excuses for the others

PS Tooth Fairy doesn't exist - sorry to disappoint but you would argue that anyone who held that view is paranoid

I agree the tooth fairy doesn't exist. I think you're confusing paranoia with delusion.

But you're right in one respect. I do see good in most things. I'm a Wallaby supporter. I like all our players. The idea that all the players and fans from some state are colluding to gull you, or anyone, is preposterous.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)

Berrick suffered from the same disease Foley is suffering from now. Quaditis. A widespread and highly contagious disease that infects the minds of Rugby watchers and convinces them that Quade Cooper is the second coming of Jeebus.

I never stated that either Gits or Barnes for that matter were good 10's.

I said they were more complete than Foley where the claim was Foley was the most complete 10 since Larkham.

You see I avoided the QC (Quade Cooper) Foley comparison until you brought it up.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Fair but I think you'll find that the numbers on the back of the backs' jerseys are often irrelevant.

The lineout situation has been discussed at length, but it was always going to be a choice between Fardy and Pocock and the general consensus is that the Pocock pros and the Fardy cons outweigh the vice versa, with Fardy and Simmons on the bench if the lineout is uncompetitive with the Welsh similarly weakened lineout.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
On the subject of complete 10's for australia there have been very few.

Larkham was not he did not kick goals.

Gits lacked playmaking ability and vision.

Barnes would be the most complete of recent times. He was solid in everything but not great at anything, he was very good at goal kicking and kicking in general play.

Mark Ella was not a complete 10. Poor tackler and didn't kick goals.

Michael Lynagh was another who was a complete 10. Similar to Barnes in that he was solid at everything but he was great at all types of kicking.

Paul McLlean was another who was a complete 10.
The best kicker out of all of them. Good runner and passer of the ball. His weakness was creativity and vision, this was only solid.

tragic

John Solomon (38)

Thanks for that
So much clearer now.
Quaditis is just the lazy mans comeback.
Soon to be followed by comments about tinted glasses.
Foleys kicking is a very clear problem that needs to be addressed whether you're a QC (Quade Cooper) fan or not. And it's why people are raising issues about him being a "complete 10". In the eyes of some he's the best we've got but he's certainly not the complete package. Plain and simple.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Bernie could kick.
Crucial difference.
If foley could consistently clear our 22 with touch finders and eliminate the aimless kicks in general play that frequently end with tries in the next few phases, then I would agree 100%.
But at the moment there's a chasm between his play and larkhams.
That's not an endorsement for QC (Quade Cooper) - he has his faults as well.
A complete 10 is the holy grail for the wallabies ATM and IMHO there's no one within cooee of larkham at the moment.

QC (Quade Cooper) was close to Larkham before his knee injury.

That was when he had a very threatening running game, fast and agile and good stepper. Combined with his passing and visions for the game he was a similar player.

He has lost that running game so is less of a threat since that allows the defence to focus on his support players.

Never as good a defender as Larkham either.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Question!? How can a player be complete in a position and also not be good at it?

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
No love for Elton Flatley?

as a complete 10?

He started 10 tests as a 10 and 10 tests as a 12. However most of those tests as a 10 was because Larkham was injured. I considered him more an i/c than 10.

As a 10 he lacked running ability, and creative vision IMO to be considered a complete 10.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Question!? How can a player be complete in a position and also not be good at it?

By only being solid at everything not very good at anything.
So they get rated a journeyman i.e solid but nothing more.

You need to be more specific and name a player for more detailed discussion.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
QC (Quade Cooper) has all the tools required but is sometimes lacking in the top two inches and at times in heart/commitment. He may still come around. He certainly seems to be making better decisions more consistently these days and he still has the pass and the vision.