• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Issue with the public schools is that unless they find a teacher who will do all the work for free, then it's not going to happen. Private schools are happy to provide volunteers with some money to cover costs. They will also finance coach education too.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Issue with the public schools is that unless they find a teacher who will do all the work for free, then it's not going to happen. Private schools are happy to provide volunteers with some money to cover costs. They will also finance coach education too.
Why does it have to be at school?

I agree they don't have the resources and the state unions doesn't have the funding to do anything there anyway

JRugby2

Sydney Middleton (9)

I agree they don't have the resources and the state unions doesn't have the funding to do anything there anyway
Going to public/ state schools are (mostly) free and don't require an additional time commitment I suppose, unlike clubs.

I'd question whether we are actually missing out on signing or developing players who have genuine capacity to turn pro - just because they don't go to a rugby/private school. All of the super rugby sides have academy programs and there is talent ID work taking place at club and school levels.

I'd argue our bigger issue is that the neck of the funnel is waaaaaay too narrow for us to continue to support these players from schools/colts into professionals, not that private schools seem to be doing most of the heavy lifting in the early days.

One example: last years Aus u18 halfback is playing club rugby over in Auckland this season to find development opportunities with the Blues.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the point Strewthcobber was making was whether any of these kids did all their schooling at public high school as opposed to them playing their rugby at a public high school.

I don't think anyone really has any reasonable/serious expectation that kids will be playing rugby at their public high school these days. That horse has long since bolted.

JRugby2

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the point Strewthcobber was making was whether any of these kids did all their schooling at public high school as opposed to them playing their rugby at a public high school.

I don't think anyone really has any reasonable/serious expectation that kids will be playing rugby at their public high school these days. That horse has long since bolted.
No I get that but to his question,
Where else?

JRugby2

Sydney Middleton (9)
At their rugby club.

I.e. in the current Wallaby squad Jake Gordon didn't go to a private school so all his junior rugby was through a club or clubs
I'd guess it would be incredibly difficult to roll out a successful development program into rugby clubs who's playing stock could be so volatile (especially in those teenage years) - and those standout players like your Jake Gordons would probably make it through the system anyway - provided there was at least was some opportunity to play?

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I'd guess it would be incredibly difficult to roll out a successful development program into rugby clubs who's playing stock could be so volatile (especially in those teenage years) - and those standout players like your Jake Gordons would probably make it through the system anyway - provided there was at least was some opportunity to play?
Our current under 18 development team would suggest not