• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Rudderless

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 1 (AEST)

This Saturday 29th

- France v Spain 10pm (Pool A)

- England v Argentina 10pm (Pool C)

Sunday 30th

- Ireland v Italy 12.30am (Pool B)

- Australia v Georgia 12.30am (Pool B)

- South Africa v Fiji 3am (Pool C)

- Wales v New Zealand 3am (Pool A)

Round 2 kicks off on Thursday 4th and Friday 5th

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Will this be on Stan, first game is on Sunday but can't see it in the list, or is it only available at RugbyPass

Rudderless

Trevor Allan (34)
I keep on seeing RugbyPass as the only live stream for the Championships available in OZ.
They do mention these local broadcast partners :
Star +, Fiji Broadcast Corporation, Digicel,
L’Equipe, Rugby TV Georgia, Sky, Supersport

Click here to sign up to RugbyPass TV for free live World Rugby U20s Championship matches from Saturday, June 29

All you need to know about the 12 teams participating in the premier age-grade tournament in South Africa, from 29 June to 17 July.

Last edited:

Love2Scrum

Watty Friend (18)
IMG_1472.jpeg

bhim

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought Leahy played well at 12 in the games against NZ, SA and Argentina so interesting to see him moved out onto the wing

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Could be a huge problem if both Barrett and Alatini are ruled out of the comp through injury. Cordukes will also be lucky to get any more playing time after the red card.
Strong win against Georgia but will at least need a 5 point win over Italy and at least bonus points against Ireland.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Mentioned elsewhere, there’s 4 replacement on the next plane over to replace some of those injured

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not exactly under 20s, but RA has announced an under 18s development squad:

Australian Under-18 Development Squad

Angus Grover (Waratahs/St Ignatius College)
Avery Thomson (Reds/GPS)
Bailey Bouquaiux (Brumbies/Royals)
Bennett Armistead (Reds/Nudgee College)
Charlie Poynton (Waratahs/Barker College)
Dylan Bretton (Brumbies/Wests)
Edwin Langi (Waratahs/Eastern Suburbs NSW)
Ewald Kruger (Reds/GPS)
Finn Mackay (Reds/St Laurences College)
Frankie Goldsbrough (Reds/Easts QLD)
Hayden Lavercombe (Waratahs/The Kings School)
Isaac Fonua (Waratahs/The Kings School)
Jay McKenzie (Waratahs/The Scots College)
Jonty Fowler (Waratahs/St Josephs College)
Josh Takai (Reds/Brothers)
Kingsley Uys (Reds/The Southport School)
Leo Jacques (Waratahs/The Scots School)
Luca Cleverley (Waratahs/Newington College)
Marshall Le Maitre (Waratahs/The Shore School)
Nick Hill (Waratahs/Barker College)
Sam Blank (Waratahs/St Augustine's College)
Sam Niulala (Waratahs/Eastwood)
Talia'uli Latukefu (Brumbies/Marist College)
Toby Brial (Waratahs/The Scots College)
Tom Hartman (Waratahs//St Ignatius College)
Tom Robinson (Reds/UQ Rugby)
Treyvon Pritchard (Reds/Anglican Church Grammar School)
Will Ross (Reds/Padua College)

Unavailable due to injury

Manaia Tetana (Force/Wanneroo)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did we manage any state schools this year, or are we at 100% reliance for private school rugby for our development?

I was wondering whether the kids without a private school listed and a club side instead were public school kids.

The first one I googled was captain of rugby at Trinity Grammar (Sam Niulala) so I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did we manage any state schools this year, or are we at 100% reliance for private school rugby for our development?
I’d say half these kids are “public school” kids but were offered scholarships a couple of years ago and finished the last few years at a private school. The same of some kids outside of QLD and NSW, not sure if there are any in this list, but been numerous over the years that move to traditional states because the program is in a better position to make rugby or league a better career possibility.

One of the reasons why I rarely look at the school or club name in these lists as it can regularly just explain who got them at the more mature end of their development. I don’t have any real issue with it, but does promote the elite schools or premier clubs above others that were equally as influential.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Devils advocate - is this actually a problem? From all accounts private schools do a pretty damn good job of developing footballers for both codes (it's just shit so many then go to jail rugby).

But assuming it is a problem, this will take a generation of investment to overcome. I appreciate the sentiment behind the argument but I've never seen anyone be able to articulate a credible way forward beyond "we just need to do it".

Private schools invest their own money into their own programs as (I assume) they see it as a recruitment tool and something to help maintain prestige. For Rugby to get big in public schools it would require funding from someone, somewhere to build these programs from the ground up over time. No 'union' has the cash to splash in this space with little to no return on investment in the immediate future.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
An issue I have with being dependent on private schools is there aren't enough games; it's only a 7 game season with a couple of extra trial games. Yes, there is club rugby, but my experience is most in the senior years can't play both club and school, so naturally, school takes priority.

More broadly, in terms of comments about the concern with private school representation, I think it's an underlying concern that the private school representation speaks to the lack of rugby played in public schools, and failure of rugby to grow outside of those private school environments. This is often presented in frustration as it becomes apparent each year when the teams are named.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
An issue I have with being dependent on private schools is there aren't enough games; it's only a 7 game season with a couple of extra trial games. Yes, there is club rugby, but my experience is most in the senior years can't play both club and school, so naturally, school takes priority.

More broadly, in terms of comments about the concern with private school representation, I think it's an underlying concern that the private school representation speaks to the lack of rugby played in public schools, and failure of rugby to grow outside of those private school environments. This is often presented in frustration as it becomes apparent each year when the teams are named.
And the follow up of this is, players who have not played enough rugby at school go into the Academies or development systems..QED lack of understanding, plus basic skills.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Devils advocate - is this actually a problem? From all accounts private schools do a pretty damn good job of developing footballers for both codes (it's just shit so many then go to jail rugby).
I don't think there's any problem with what the schools do, in fact we would barely have a pro level sport in this country without the fee-paying parent subsidy of these rugby programs.

My main concern is there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative if you aren't at one of these 20 odd schools in NSW, Qld and ACT aged 15 (however that happens)

The schools do such a good job with coaching and facilities that there is no other pathway.