• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Of course the signs were there. He did have some really good moments.

He didn't head off overseas. He moved home because an opportunity presented itself.

Kiwi moves home to play for a better Super Rugby team and potentially the All Blacks in the future.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Sitaleki Timani was never that great and people dumped on Skelton constantly and he moved to an arguably better franchise in Saracens as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sita Timani well and truly made the decision to chase money and made comments of the sort at the time due to wanting to support extended family in Tonga.

People would have been rightly outraged if the ARU had paid him a big money top up to try and keep him in Australia.

Skelton was again that person just outside getting Wallaby top up money and chose to take a bigger guaranteed pay check overseas.

The Waratahs would have been crazy to throw the kitchen sink at retaining Timani and Skelton which is what would have been needed without the ARU money needed to make an offer competitive with what they could get overseas.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
My point was not that the Waratahs should have tried to keep Timani and Skelton but whether or not they did a good enough job at developing their talent in light of the fact that a similar big ball playing lock like Lousi improved in leaps and bounds when he went overseas.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't think that the Tahs managed him well at all but it's probably a little harsh to discount the fact that two years of playing rugby games (a mix of club, NRC and Super) would have put him in a far better position to take the next steps of nailing the set piece now.

Lousi is playing very well now but I don't think anyone could have got him to produce that in his first two seasons of rugby. He has come on leaps and bounds since last year. He also missed the bulk of his first season with the Tahs after shoulder surgery.

It's really not a surprise though if true. How many times and how many posters have lamented the apparent lack of skills coaching at Aus Super Rugby franchises. Even recollect someone saying that it's not up to the Super Rugby coaches to teach the players the skills or to develop them further; that they should already have the skills when they reach this level. It would be very telling if, in fact, a player at this level didn't know or wasn't brought up to scratch with the laws of the game.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
A McKenzie will definitely play 10 for Tribe v 'canes:

Chiefs (15-1): Charlie Ngatai (co-c), Sean Wainui, Anton Lienert-Brown, Johnny Fa'auli, Solomon Alaimalo, Damian McKenzie/Marty McKenzie, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Taleni Seu, Sam Cane (co-c), Lachlan Boshier, Tyler Ardron/Michael Allardice, Brodie Retallick, Angus Ta'avao-Matau, Nathan Harris, Aidan Ross. Reserves (16-23): Liam Polwart, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Jeff Thwaites, Luke Jacobson, Liam Messam, Jonathan Taumateine, Marty McKenzie/Tiaan Falcon, Alex Nankivell.

But no TJP (out for 6-8 weeks), JSav or Aumua lining up against them:

Hurricanes (15-1): Jordie Barrett, Vince Aso, Matt Proctor, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Beauden Barrett, Jamie Booth, Gareth Evans, Sam Henwood, Brad Shields (c), Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Ricky Riccitelli, Toby Smith. Reserves (16-23): James O'Reilly, Chris Eves, Ben May, Michael Fatialofa, Reed Prinsep, Richard Judd, Ihaia West, Wes Goosen.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...aumua-and-julian-savea-all-out-for-hurricanes

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
I have the Blues for a win this week
loser.gif

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Leger, Hyland, Tamoaieta, Neenee, Papalii, Nock. Who are these people?

Leger - NZ U20 midfield back last year. Talented but prone to errors and suspect defense. He is better suited to 12. Of course Tana picks him at 13 and Rieko (who is better suited to 13) at 12. Nice one Tana.

Hyland - winger - on debut - not the typical Blues winger but really impressed at the Brisbane 10s and for the Development team - deceptively powerful and runs good angles. Low error rate too. Deserves a go.

Tamoaieta - very big reserve prop in his rookie season. Pretty average.

Neenee - Lock. Has been around the provincial scene for a few years. Has shown nothing special.

Papalii - very talented loose forward. Can play all 3 loose forward positions. NZ U20s last year. Big future.

Nock - halfback - schoolboy prodigy but has not delivered at Super level. His lack of size gets exposed at Super level. Gets flustered too. Only in the playing squad as Pulu is injured.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
  • Tamoaieta, reserve prop, a pathetic dumpling child who is in disgusting physical condition and is a defensive liability after 10 minutes of waddling around looking for easter eggs and pudding.
  • Nock is a petrified child who was SUPPOSED to be able to play halfback but is in fact terrified of all aspects of rugby.
  • Papalii is a huge fast flanker who really does look to the manor borne. Potential 2019 Auckland Blues Designated Messiah material
Frankly, I'm just shocked someone actually managed to persuade Parsons to remove his headgear for the photo shoot.