• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Great intensity from the Blacks tonight, by far the better team. The commentators were remarking that this was the oldest All Black side or something like that.... experience in pressure situations counts for plenty I guess.

Who was the official man of the match..Dan Carter? The man is a legend!

F

Fredfreduels

I agree with that. McCabe is out of his depth. But still, the forwards I'd where we lose.

I disagree. I think that he will end up as a world class outside center similar to Conrad Smith. My guess for the longer term future center pairing - 12. Harris, 13. McCabe.

C

chief

Great game by the Blacks fantastic intensity. Wallabies just couldn't match it. Oppurtunities went begging with selfishness by some players by refusing to pass the ball, while things were also effected by people simply dropping the ball. Wallabies look too crowded when the opportunities were there for the taking, I think this comes down to Genia maybe not communicating, we saw the inexperience of Cooper and Beale tonight failing at the basics but trying complex things. I honestly must have counted about 10 knock ons tonight that went unseen by the ref- both ways too. Would be my only criticism of the referee for tonight. McCalman had probably his last crack in the Gold starting team tonight, wouldn't be surprised if SImmons faces the same fate. We really have to think about bringing Radike in, Deans is crazy if he doesn't.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
Flair and X-factor will never make up for not getting the basics right. Save the miracle stuff for the finishing touches!

Blicks put so much pressure on by nailing the fundamentals, in the face of which the Wobbs were a house of cards...

R

RuckinGoodStats

Any stats on territory and possession, in particular time spent in 22.

Wallabies possession 1st half=57%; 2nd half=41%; Fulltime=50%
Territory 1st half=67%; 2nd half=44%; Fulltime=56%
Time in NZ 22 1st half=5:26; 2nd half=1:8; Total game=6:33
NZ time in Wallabies 22 1st half=1:21; 2nd half=2:40; Total game=4:1

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wallabies possession 1st half=57%; 2nd half=41%; Fulltime=50%
Territory 1st half=67%; 2nd half=44%; Fulltime=56%
Time in NZ 22 1st half=5:26; 2nd half=1:8; Total game=6:33
NZ time in Wallabies 22 1st half=1:21; 2nd half=2:40; Total game=4:1

The execution was poor from the Oz backs but the AB defense was top shelf.

R

RuckinGoodStats

The execution was poor from the Oz backs but the AB defense was top shelf.
Both team missed on average 1 in every 5 tackle attempts by my count. Both team also did missed 7 tackles inside their own 22

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Both team missed on average 1 in every 5 tackle attempts by my count. Both team also did missed 7 tackles inside their own 22
We spent a lot more time in their 22 than they did in ours which indicates that their crucial tackling in that zone was probably better than ours.
Every time they came into our 22 it felt almost inevitable that barring an indiscretion they would come away with points.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Fair enough.

I was impressed by the Aussie counter-rucking in the second half, and Genia operated superbly under pressure. Wallabies scrum was good too, but once Ben Franks came on the AB's had an edge. Echoing the sentiments of most, Kepu, Moore & Horwill stood up well and HiggenRosenHymenBotham had his usual nice cameo & grubber.

Is this now the third game in a row he has put up an identical chip kick at exactly the same position, a meter in from the right touch and 20 meters out from the line. He should be renamed 'Mr Consistancy'

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe it's me as a Saffer who doesn't understand all these subtle word games, but is making up stuff that the opposition never said what's required to motivate the ABs? I don't know for sure but saying "we can win" doesn't sound like a lack of respect. If this topic has already been done apologies :)

Murdock journalism. You know, class journalism :) ...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
To be fair, McCabe is a little faster over the ground than Chariots, and 15% more likely to pass the ball. He struggled with timing last night, but it takes two to tango, and Cooper was deeper and more random with options. In fact that depth really caused problems for all his runners inc Beale and Ioane.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
He'd tackle and tackle and tackle, just like he did last night.

I am one of those nervous about Cooper kiwis mentioned eArlier in the thread, totally. But dc was sublime tonight and little of it had to do with the pack. Cooper was shit tonight and again, little to do with the pack.

Cooper was a great player yesterday and he he still is today. But a bit of acknowledgment to dc is fully granted imho

To quote Kafe, "no question," that Carter was brilliant last night. Cooper was trying to make up for the fact that the forwards weren't getting across the advantage line. At least I hope that was why he was so deep. People seem to hate him when the side loses as if he is to blame. The ABs smashed the Wallabies backwards. I dont see how a backline can function when that happens. Crusaders tried to do it to the Reds, the difference being that the Reds defence held. And the backs were more composed after and during the onslaught. Horwill and Moore did well close to the ruck. The disappointments were Simmons, McCalman (he has no physical impact), Rocky and Pocock (shut out of the game? carrying an injury? He was quiet also against the Springboks).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The abs not only one the breakdown battle by ensuring they got fast ball while ours was slow but they also won the tactical battle. It was a clear ploy to put in short chips, grubbers and bombs to turn our defense around. They expected a fast line of defense with ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and McCabe defending in the mid field with a deeper back three ready for long tactical kicks from Carter. They were right, and I think their tactic effectively slowed our defensive line down when couples with their superior clearing out.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To quote Kafe, "no question," that Carter was brilliant last night. Cooper was trying to make up for the fact that the forwards weren't getting across the advantage line. At least I hope that was why he was so deep. People seem to hate him when the side loses as if he is to blame. The ABs smashed the Wallabies backwards. I dont see how a backline can function when that happens. Crusaders tried to do it to the Reds, the difference being that the Reds defence held. And the backs were more composed after and during the onslaught. Horwill and Moore did well close to the ruck. The disappointments were Simmons, McCalman (he has no physical impact), Rocky and Pocock (shut out of the game? carrying an injury? He was quiet also against the Springboks).

I don't think that's the case at all...

But he played crap, and deserves to shoulder the blame with those other players whose names keep appearing like McCalman, Elsom, Beale etc...

Obviously he wasn't getting good ball from his forwards, but you can't blame the forwards for many of his awful passes and bad decision making...

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I don't think that's the case at all...

But he played crap, and deserves to shoulder the blame with those other players whose names keep appearing like McCalman, Elsom, Beale etc...

Obviously he wasn't getting good ball from his forwards, but you can't blame the forwards for many of his awful passes and bad decision making...

Ok, ok, ok, I accept he wasn't good, but I like to think he was trying to do things to spark some sort of comeback and get the Wallabies going.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok, ok, ok, I accept he wasn't good, but I like to think he was trying to do things to spark some sort of comeback and get the Wallabies going.

I'm sure there were a number of players out there 'trying to do things' too.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Rocky needs a 'rest'.

At this point, his performance doesn't warrant selection. I wrote on another thread that his game can be summed up in his play for Nonu's try when he missed the tackle on Sivi when he was in position to make it, and then allowed Nonu to bast over him when Nonu's initial momentum was stopped by Elsom. It's simply not good enough for the Wallaby No.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.